Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help finding a hat

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, true. I do want a good one.

That second one looks pretty good. I'd prefer the brim not curl up in the back but that's not really a deal breaker. I think I came across that one earlier today but I've looked at so many I lost track of it.
In the images Google shows from the movie, the brim curls just as much as it does on those from JJ.

Which brim is the stiffer is impossible to say from images - but I do believe the ones from JJ are quite soft/flexible.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
In the images Google shows from the movie, the brim curls just as much as it does on those from JJ.

Which brim is the stiffer is impossible to say from images - but I do believe the ones from JJ are quite soft/flexible.

I've held and tried on the Escape

it is a nice soft, light , well made hat... the brim is very flexible ... borderline floppy ... very nice

it is unlined so it breathes nicely as well

JMG32

New in Town
I've held and tried on the Escape

it is a nice soft, light , well made hat... the brim is very flexible ... borderline floppy ... very nice

it is unlined so it breathes nicely as well

Yeah, I'm liking the Escape more and more as I look at it. It's hard to judge from pics, but how do you think the brim size compares to the one in the movie picture? The Escape is 1 3/4" while the Akubra ones are 2 1/2".

Minor detail. Just curious.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, I'm liking the Escape more and more as I look at it. It's hard to judge from pics, but how do you think the brim size compares to the one in the movie picture? The Escape is 1 3/4" while the Akubra ones are 2 1/2".

Minor detail. Just curious.

Steve Martins brim is definitely not 2 1/2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMG32

New in Town
Of course, going by the JJ size guide I'm smack in between a L and an XL, haha.

L ends at 23.4 and XL begins at 23.8. I'm a 23.6, lol. What are the odds? I've had this problem before.

FedoraSeeker

New in Town
George Halas1.jpg
landry 1.jpg
FBI Baseball3.jpg
FBI subway.jpg
FBI Baseball2.jpg
FBI Baseball1.jpg
FBI 2.jpg
FBI 1.jpg
Hello,

I posted here a few month ago, regarding my quest for a 7 5/8 fedora with a short brim- Not a trilby, but a short brimmed fedora similar to the one being worn by comedian Shelley Berman in the photo below.

Shelley TWA.jpg

So far, my search has been exceedingly difficult. I have decided to post here in the hope that perhaps fellow members may have some leads as to where I might obtain such an item.

I have also, posted some additional photos of the exact type of hat that I am looking for. The above photos are screenshots from the 1959 Jimmy Stewart film "The FBI Story." The communist suspect the agents trail through NYC, is wearing the exact type of hat that I am looking for (but I want it in black)! I have posted several different angles of the hat, to show just exactly what I am looking for.

I also have posted some pictures of George Halas, Vince Lombardi and Tom Landry, all
HalasLombardi.jpg
of whom are also wearing the EXACT type of hat I am seeking.

I will try to post some additional pictures to show examples of the type of hat that I am seeking. Thank you in advance for any assistance that you may be able to provide.

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
they are literally everywhere

dime a donzen

almost impossible to not find with a simple search of eBay or any reputable hat shop

FedoraSeeker

New in Town
they are literally everywhere

dime a donzen

almost impossible to not find with a simple search of eBay or any reputable hat shop
Thank you for your reply. I agree that there are many vintage fedoras available; but I am having a very hard time finding one in my size (7 5/8).

Thanks again for posting, and please let me know if you know of any for sale!

Best.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Thank you for your reply. I agree that there are many vintage fedoras available; but I am having a very hard time finding one in my size (7 5/8).

Thanks again for posting, and please let me know if you know of any for sale!

Best.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dark-Charco...874304?hash=item3f677842c0:g:kdIAAOSwiYFXD6KG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Dob...964052?hash=item43fd637b14:g:KhEAAOSwZVlXlQ0q

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fine-Dobbs-...860275?hash=item2efbf87733:g:Q84AAOSwNnRYin1m

I could keep going

FedoraSeeker

New in Town
You've heard about Ebay? There, you can search by size if you like. Ebay will be your friend! However, 7-5/8 is on the big side for vintages, and are much more rare to find. Not impossible, but NOT quite a dime a dozen as a result of supply and demand.

Good luck on the hunt, and in the meantime I'll look in my old inventory...

Yes, I have been checking eBay daily.....Currently there are no 7 5/8 fedoras in this style
goodfed.jpg
(1950s/early 60s ,short brimmed, etc.) for sale.

All the hats in the previous photos (except the last, very stingy) are about 2" brims. They look somewhat different due to the crowns.
Where (approximately) are you located? Is there a hat store within driving distance?
So... the budget?

ONE more thing, about the store visit; if you've never tried on these styles, you owe it to yourself to do so. Moreover, the suggestions of an experienced hatter can really eliminate guesswork, and a wrong choice. You will be very glad you took the time, and you'll always KNOW exactly what you want, not what you may THINK you like. We all go through what you are experiencing in the beginning. AND then we're here to egg you on to MORE hats!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran