Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need opinion of my new j-23 jacket

Hammerklavier

One of the Regulars
I am struggling choosing between Johnson leather and Lost Worlds.
Johnson offering horween cxl 4.5 oz HH(very tempting I have to say), and Alan is much easier too communicate with , but the jacket is non-refundable, and I am not familiar with the fit of his jacket and the quality of the hide compare to LW.
Lost worlds is more expensive but since I own two of his jacket I know the quality and fit is ensured. Also the standard order is returnable.
Please give me your opinion, thank you!!

P.S the picture is Johnsons custom jacket which Alan send to me.
d4a2fbf4cb260b9a87616f8dc4ab9c48.jpg
23eb866ec805b9261e333edfe010e753.jpg

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I'd trust Alan any day of the week when it comes to leather jackets. If he does a custom job, it is understandable he does not want it returned. Alan will go the extra mile to make sure everything is exactly as you want it, though, so you should be good. I'm curious about that 4.5 oz horse, did he send any pics of that? Last time I spoke him, he didn't mention it.

Edit; that jacket you got pictured there probably belongs to a TFL member, I can at least remember having seen that lining. If you find out who it belongs to, you may get some specific feedback.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I am struggling choosing between Johnson leather and Lost Worlds.
Johnson offering horween cxl 4.5 oz HH(very tempting I have to say), and Alan is much easier too communicate with , but the jacket is non-refundable, and I am not familiar with the fit of his jacket and the quality of the hide compare to LW.
Lost worlds is more expensive but since I own two of his jacket I know the quality and fit is ensured. Also the standard order is returnable.
Please give me your opinion, thank you!!

P.S the picture is Johnsons custom jacket which Alan send to me.
d4a2fbf4cb260b9a87616f8dc4ab9c48.jpg
23eb866ec805b9261e333edfe010e753.jpg
I don't think you can go too far wrong with either of those.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
LW's leather and Horween CXL have very different character especially after a period of wear.

Hammerklavier

One of the Regulars
Thanks, He said the horween cxl 4.5 oz HH is coming this this week, I am not so crazy about aero 3oz HH, it is little too thin for me, I don't like the leather gain wrinkles in short amount of time, that's why I am interesting the 4.5 oz

As JJ noted Johnson Leathers is a pleasure to do business with and you will get the exact fit you require. My CXL overdye from Alan is by far my favorite jacket. Ever. Having owned both I can tell you they are both superb. My preference would be the CXL Alan gets for character but LW for a more historically accurate repro. Here is my CXL JL:
IMG_3655.JPG

Here is my former LW j-23
IMG_6158.JPG

Both stellar jackets. You are basically at the table trying to decide between the ribeye and the porterhouse. Good luck!!

Thank Ton! I am very impressed with the overdye hide!
Is it ok to ask the measurement from your LW J-23? Thanks!
The LW is a 44" (stock) while the JL is a 40" with mods to the length. Both about 23.5" across the chest, 26.5" sleeve. The JL is 27" and the LW is 26" back length. And both 19.5" or so across shoulders.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the education, is that means horween cxl has less water resistant than chrome tanned HH?
Combination- veg and chrome tanned, so it is still "water resistant". By less water resistant, I take it you mean how easy water got soaked in and leaving water stains. I doubt one can notice water stains on black leather whether veg or chrome tanned.

Last edited:

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
After some experances with LW, and only trying on some JL that were not Horse, I will give a nod to the Lost Worlds for all around durability, longevity, and a little more "structure" to the jacket. The JL's I've tried on seems a little more "soft" and user-friendly, whereas the LW Cafe Racer I own now is a rough and tumble beast of a jacket, only 4oz HH but still fits that description. That's just me, and I've found CXL Steer or Horse will, as indicated before, show a lot of character quickly. The Bootlegger in my avitar is 4.5oz CXL.

Peacoat

Bartender
After some experances with LW, and only trying on some JL that were not Horse, I will give a nod to the Lost Worlds for all around durability, longevity, and a little more "structure" to the jacket. The JL's I've tried on seems a little more "soft" and user-friendly, whereas the LW Cafe Racer I own now is a rough and tumble beast of a jacket, only 4oz HH but still fits that description. That's just me, and I've found CXL Steer or Horse will, as indicated before, show a lot of character quickly. The Bootlegger in my avitar is 4.5oz CXL.

The standard JL hide is about 3 oz. That is why the jackets you tried on didn't feel as substantial as the LW. I have one of those, and it is, as you said, "user friendly." I bought it as a street jacket and didn't want a heavy hide. I have another from JL that is about 4 oz. which I bought as a dedicated motorcycle jacket. I would put that jacket up against anything made by LW. I have had it for three or four years, and it still stands on its own. It is broken in and comfortable to wear on the motorcycle, but still very substantial with lots of character. It is more than I want to deal with as a street jacket, but that's not what I bought it for.

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
I'ed go with JL............Do you have any pics of your LW so we can see how it has broken -in so far ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo