Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Elvis fqhh

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Here are the measurements for standard 40
93CDDC2D-310D-4896-963A-6E55200A0BB2.jpeg
D97B4968-147F-4FDC-BC4E-085CB2F6FE96.jpeg
BE127061-EC49-48D2-AD0E-CF2B4774F5CE.jpeg
7E963775-B379-41BF-9BD6-3498930DB2DA.jpeg
82A9D30F-068B-40D6-9386-8B6168B95800.jpeg
BCBFB6EB-C884-43EE-809F-D9E84AC8B0FC.jpeg
F2F5C5BF-0AA4-417F-9169-14A8D0FC13FD.jpeg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
The Elvis Jacket is SHORT. And tight at the shoulder and at the hem. Aeros Badalassi Lux is about 3oz but feels thicker than the 3oz Shinki. Could be the oil content. Which also makes it very squeaky. This is a going on a night out leather. Fancy grains and hand feel right outta the box. Now I need to get one of those hats Elvis wore.

Vezio

One of the Regulars
The Elvis Jacket is SHORT. And tight at the shoulder and at the hem. Aeros Badalassi Lux is about 3oz but feels thicker than the 3oz Shinki. Could be the oil content. Which also makes it very squeaky. This is a going on a night out leather. Fancy grains and hand feel right outta the box. Now I need to get one of those hats Elvis wore.
Very nice jacket, but a bit short for my taste. Good fit.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Awesome, lets see the fit pics!

I see your jacket has been made by Morgan Wilson. I also spotted a couple of jackets made by her in the Thurston Bros thread and noticed they were all very well made, flawless actually. I think she's (one of) Aero's best machinists. If I were to order a jacket from Aero, I'd request it to be made by her.

born113

One of the Regulars
Is it Badalassi Tobacco? Does this color darken very strongly over time? Have you tried oils or conditioners on Badalassi (I'm interested in color change)?
I'm asking this because I know you have a tendency to experiment and because I'm concerned about the color change. I would probably order something from Aero from Badalassi but I want a seal (dark brown) color. A seal color Aero does not have.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Very nice jacket, but a bit short for my taste. Good fit.
It is short. With dress pants it's ok but with jeans I will rock the Britney Spears show my midriff look. This is with mid rise Gap slim jeans.
IMG_0507.JPG

The Elvis bottom hem stops at where the natural waist is.

The Indian Ranger is almost an inch longer, and I think that's why I have trouble with the bottom hem even they are exactly same jacket just 1" off in length and different front pocket setup.
IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Awesome, lets see the fit pics!

I see your jacket has been made by Morgan Wilson. I also spotted a couple of jackets made by her in the Thurston Bros thread and noticed they were all very well made, flawless actually. I think she's (one of) Aero's best machinists. If I were to order a jacket from Aero, I'd request it to be made by her.

All my moto style jackets were made by Morgan Wilson in the past two years. She is as good as any other Aero machinist. I believe I have jackets made by all Aero machinist by now and they are all on the same level of quality. But they do specialize in different styles, so depending on the style you get a different machinist.

Fit pic post 60. It's short, but still longer than my vintage Kurland.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Is it Badalassi Tobacco? Does this color darken very strongly over time? Have you tried oils or conditioners on Badalassi (I'm interested in color change)?
I'm asking this because I know you have a tendency to experiment and because I'm concerned about the color change. I would probably order something from Aero from Badalassi but I want a seal (dark brown) color. A seal color Aero does not have.

No, this is Russet, not Tobacco. I am not touching this leather. It is as good as it can get straight out of the box. The Badalassi Lux is basically a very fancy version of my Walter Dyer. My Walter Dyer will look like this Badalassi in a year of wear. But the Badalassi looks like this straight out of the box, and they charge $$$$$ for that.

I do also have the 2.3mm Badalassi Minerva Box jacket. This one I am experimenting on. This Badalassi was meant for boots and bag, and it is just too thick and robust to make the jacket work for now. But I am getting there. This has a coat of mink oil and maybe 200 push ups, the Japanese break in method.

IMG_0353.JPG
IMG_0364.JPG
IMG_0375.JPG

born113

One of the Regulars
I do also have the 2.3mm Badalassi Minerva Box jacket.
Please tell me how many pieces of leather and what area is needed for a jacket of this length and your size? I'll be very grateful. I may still try to make one jacket for myself in the 5stars.

Mich486

One Too Many
It is short. With dress pants it's ok but with jeans I will rock the Britney Spears show my midriff look. This is with mid rise Gap slim jeans.
View attachment 399730

The Indian Ranger is almost an inch longer, and I think that's why I have trouble with the bottom hem even they are exactly same jacket just 1" off in length and different front pocket setup.
View attachment 399731
View attachment 399732

I like these jackets and their cut but the bottom hem is a worry for me after the Grizzly I had. Do you think a size up would be more wearable for you? I wonder if with these jackets you should just focus on the hem measurement and let the top go wild. My specific concern is that with such a tight waist measurement nothing other than a tight shirt/t-shirt tucked in would work.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Please tell me how many pieces of leather and what area is needed for a jacket of this length and your size? I'll be very grateful. I may still try to make one jacket for myself in the 5stars.
Three hides will make a size medium (40/42) jacket. Or 40 to 45 square feet. I wouldn't suggest using the thick 2.3mm Badalassi Minerva Box for jackets. It's expensive and pointless. Only a fool parts with his money. And in this case I was the fool. With the Badalassi hide, 1.3mm is more suitable for jackets.

I like these jackets and their cut but the bottom hem is a worry for me after the Grizzly I had. Do you think a size up would be more wearable for you? I wonder if with these jackets you should just focus on the hem measurement and let the top go wild. My specific concern is that with such a tight waist measurement nothing other than a tight shirt/t-shirt tucked in would work.
That's why I posted the measurements. If I could turn back the clock and do this again I'd go with a size up to 42 on these short jackets with the tight waist. My IR is borderline unwearable because how tight it gets at the waist. And surprisingly these two jackets have comparatively narrower shoulders than my Aero Daytona/J106 jackets. So add another chapter to my Aero sizing conspiracy theory. Wish Aero just publish the hem sizes.
I also wouldn't worry about the upper body blouse effect. Young Elvis wore it just fine that way, so did Brando. And James Dean...
Image1.jpg

Mich486

One Too Many
Yes agreed, you sort of confirmed what I was thinking. I come from fixating on the p2p and have a narrow range in mind of what works or not on me but these jackets just can’t be sized like that. The top block is designed to be roomy. Provide the hem measurement is a must.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I think any jacket design with an aggressive waist cinch it's in the makers best interest to put the pattern measurements up front. Vanson does this. Although their hem tends to run tighter than what they indicate because the way the thick leather adds thickness to the hems. For the Aero Elvis and Indian Ranger, hems are tight. I assume Kotr and Motorcycle jacket models are in the same boat. But best to check with Aero directly.
Image2.jpg

Edward

Bartender
View attachment 399730

View attachment 399731
View attachment 399732

I hold firmly to the belief that it's not the jacket is short, it's the trousers are too low. ;-) I suppose this in part is affected by whether you're on the side of the line that is only interested in the jacket, or in the entire period look. I'm one for what's considered a "high waist" these days - i,e, my trouser waistband is on my actual waistline rather than several inches south of it (which seems to be what most makers these days outside of the repro market are keen on). Definitely makes a difference with these shorter jackets.

I think any jacket design with an aggressive waist cinch it's in the makers best interest to put the pattern measurements up front. Vanson does this. Although their hem tends to run tighter than what they indicate because the way the thick leather adds thickness to the hems. For the Aero Elvis and Indian Ranger, hems are tight. I assume Kotr and Motorcycle jacket models are in the same boat. But best to check with Aero directly.
View attachment 399865
around the hem is a useful measurement to have indeed. The hem on the Aero MC model is markedly tighter than that on a 30s Halfbelt, despite being less of a 'v' - it's a very sudden drop in the waist. This is, of course, how that style was worn at the time: if you look at Brando's jacket in The Wild One, it's a little loose on the shoulders, and very snug at the waist / hem.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I hold firmly to the belief that it's not the jacket is short, it's the trousers are too low. ;-) I suppose this in part is affected by whether you're on the side of the line that is only interested in the jacket, or in the entire period look. I'm one for what's considered a "high waist" these days - i,e, my trouser waistband is on my actual waistline rather than several inches south of it (which seems to be what most makers these days outside of the repro market are keen on). Definitely makes a difference with these shorter jackets.

around the hem is a useful measurement to have indeed. The hem on the Aero MC model is markedly tighter than that on a 30s Halfbelt, despite being less of a 'v' - it's a very sudden drop in the waist. This is, of course, how that style was worn at the time: if you look at Brando's jacket in The Wild One, it's a little loose on the shoulders, and very snug at the waist / hem.
I'm not a low rise guy myself either. My pants usually sits about half inch below my belly button. This in today's standard would be considered high rise. Lol. But it probably just mid rise compared to the 30s. I remember I had a tux that had very high waist-ed pants, above my belly button and I would assumed that's how they rolled back then, especially without the use of belts.
I also prefer the Elvis / Indian Ranger / Kotr cuts over the standard J106 cut. The standard J106 is really based off the civilian half belt blocks, where as the 50s bike jackets are a special breed. Sometime down the road I'd like to try a size larger just to see how it fits. Many people associate black leather with these designs but brown versions were marketed alongside the black version for a small premium. I bet there were quite a few brown ones out and about but the black and white photos kinda skew the perception a bit.

Hh121

Banned
No, this is Russet, not Tobacco. I am not touching this leather. It is as good as it can get straight out of the box. The Badalassi Lux is basically a very fancy version of my Walter Dyer. My Walter Dyer will look like this Badalassi in a year of wear. But the Badalassi looks like this straight out of the box, and they charge $$$$$ for that.

I do also have the 2.3mm Badalassi Minerva Box jacket. This one I am experimenting on. This Badalassi was meant for boots and bag, and it is just too thick and robust to make the jacket work for now. But I am getting there. This has a coat of mink oil and maybe 200 push ups, the Japanese break in method.

View attachment 399734 View attachment 399735 View attachment 399736
This is really a monster jacket, but the price of leather......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy