Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Indecision is killing me...any thoughts appreciated.

1avrgjoe

Familiar Face
I know I want to order a New Aero for next fall. I have been in contact w/Ken and Holly at Aero. I have a black HWM size 46 and I realy love the Style of the Jacket. I do however "NEED" to get a brown jacket as well. I'm having a really hard time making a decision. I'm thinking I'll just order a Brown HWM w/some different features. I've been considering 2 breast pockets, or no breast pockets. Is it a mistake to buy another $900 Jacket in another color? I was also considering Cossack, 50's HB, 30's HB. I'm 6' 220LBS, I'm pretty broad up top w/a 36" waist so not sure the 30's HB would work on my larger frame. I also prefer the more rugged look of the HWM over 30's HB. I really don't know what the hell I'm doing so I'm wondering if anyone has any helpful comments.

Mistake? No. Would you be happy? Maybe. I order boots the same way - if I find a pair I like, I get two colors. It works well. I actually thought about a new Ventura last night in the russet hide that Cooperson just sold or like 767fo also had/sold. I'd likely get some different things - as you suggested - like pockets, etc.
There's also some benefit to having different designs. But certainly there are folks here that have ~12 A-2's, 5 A-1's, etc. So what's wrong with two HWM? Nothing if that's what you want...

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I like the front yoke instead of the breastpockets on the zipsleeved HWM.

9754cadb634943a3_zip%20sleeve%20highwayman%20brown%20p1%20copy.jpg

(I think thats my old jacket that I returned on that picture)

hyptul

Familiar Face
If you like the style of jacket, then what is the question? I have bought two HWMs in different colors and types of leather (and even in different sizes - 46 and 48). And I'm quite happy with these purchases.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I cannot argue with getting another HWM in either brown tumbled or regular FQHH but would order with only the standard left breast pocket and not try to do something creative, although I do like the look of Griff's zip sleeved HWM with a front yoke instead of the breast pockets. Another idea would be 50's HB or HB Deluxe, depending on whether or not you want the large cargo pockets and bi-swing back of the 50's HB Deluxe or the cleaner look of the 50's HB.

Foster

One of the Regulars
I like the flexibility of having variety of colors. If you wife / girlfriend / significant other has several pair of the same shoe in different colors, then you stand a good chance of winning an argument for two jackets of different color of the same pattern (should it come to that - I've crossed that bridge in my household).

1avrgjoe

Familiar Face
I really appreciate all of your thoughts, and I feel like all the right guys answered me, I've read stuff from all of you and I thought of sending a couple of you guys PM's on this. I have considered the 30's HB but I don't think so. I was looking at RT 66 maybe, 50's HB is the close 2nd to HWM. The thing that concerns me about 50's HB is in some pics it looks like the belt is tight, smaller than the bottom of the jacket, so it's like a cinched up above the waist. That's just not good for me. Some pics it's not like that so I've had a hard time w/that. Also that's a lot of money, I feel more confident about HWM. I wish I could try some of these on. I don't think there's any retail places that carry them though.

1avrgjoe

Familiar Face
What body type are you? Any pics we could see? That would help.
I'm a little on the larger end average. I lifeted weights for most of my adult life so I have kind of broad shoulders and a wide back. My waist is about 36 and My chest is between 46 and 47 inches. These pics are all I've got of my Black HWM.
IMG_0004_2_zps5833c477.jpg
IMG_0012_2_zps8bedd299.jpg
IMG_0012_2_zps94dd2f9f.jpg

Last edited:

1avrgjoe

Familiar Face
Excellent point. Still, body type would help us.
What do you think about 2 breast pockets on a HWM? I think I like that, but I also like the zip sleeve w/no pockets on chest but additional yoke. Again it would be so great to be able to try some of these jackets on!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Buy a black FQHH Teamster. You will look like one helluva mean dude in it, but in a good way. :D

1avrgjoe

Familiar Face
Excellent point. Still, body type would help us.
IMG_0018_zps0a8a0c20.jpg
IMG_0016_2_2_zps7f4b3d97.jpg
[/IMG]
I posted some pics w/my black 46 HWM on. These show my build a little better. I kind of wish they would make the body and waist of the jacket a little smaller but keep the shoulders the right size. So far Holly and Ken have said that they don't think they can do it that way because that's the style of the jacket, boxy. Maybe 50's HB would be better but I can't stand that cinched up belt above the waist.

Last edited:

schitzo

Suspended
I can't stand that cinched up belt above the waist.

The 'belt' is false it just sits there for aesthetic value. I think it works, but perhaps if you asked nicely they'd do you one without?

Otherwise I agree with Fanch. I think you've got a good physique for a teamster or a Veste de rallye which you could get in a shorter length, so not too much longer than your HWM. I think sometimes we lust after a particular style when our body type in in fact crying out for something altogether different. To marry the two is of course the name of the game.

You have a slightly oversized upper body, with strong arms. It will be interesting to see what members think are the best styles to fit on it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot