Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Type III Jean Jacket - Fit advice needed

JanW

New in Town
Hi all,

I've just received my newest Aero, a Type III jean jacket in soft black steerhide, which is one of their "test" apprentice jackets from stock. Less than half the price!

The soft black steerhide is *very* good. Broken in and comfortable out of the box, and showing a lot of grain. Pity about the limited color options available on this.

Despite anticipating the Type III as a slim fit, I ordered 1 size smaller than what Aero has previously recommended for me (size 40 - my other jackets are a size 40 Highwayman in FQHH and a size 42 Aeromarine in goat). It came a bit snug around the midsection, but I hosed it down in the shower and stuffed it with pillows, then parked it in front of a fan for a day. I feel the fit around the midsection turned out alright. My one issue is the length, it could use an extra inch, but then I understand that a jean jacket should fall around the belt anyway. I figure I can modify the rest of the fit as needed.

In any case, any thoughts/advice on the fit?

Last edited:

Mich486

One Too Many
It’s a nice fit although it isn’t easy to get used to such short jackets after years of wearing longer ones.

Btw the leather looks very nice! Not a very popular option at all as far as I can see but looks pretty damn good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
I think it looks amazing, definitely a keeper. Nice and tight, as a type III should be IMO

Mich486

One Too Many
I agree with Peacoat. My jean jackets all cover my belts. Don't care how some say it is 'supposed ' to fit.

Fair enough but what kind of rise do your trousers have?

The guy is wearing pretty low-waisted jeans.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jacket looks great! I would want another 1" length as well, but short definitely works with the type III as others have said. Congratulations!

JanW

New in Town
Fair enough but what kind of rise do your trousers have?

The guy is wearing pretty low-waisted jeans.

Yep, I wear my trousers pretty low, at the hips. This is not by choice. Rather, my prodigious gut always seems to settle on that spot no matter how I try to pull my trousers up. This is doubly the case when wearing jeans. I have long since given up and wear my trousers at the hips all the time now.

A bit amused that there seems to be a divide on the proper length of a type III though.

Dude, in my book, this is EXACTLY how these jackets should fit and more importantly, look on someone! It's perfect on you! And it honestly doesn't even seem short at all. Not even close to being short, let alone too short. Those trousers clearly sit pretty low but despite that, even if it was a noticeably longer jacket, I'm afraid it would just end up looking weird, like any of the newer Levi's models. Besides, the jacket completely covers the belt on the back.

Type III is a super short style. Those vintage ones are like 22" in the back. They've got five to six buttons. Extra length messes up the design, whatever you may feel about short jackets. You've nothing to worry about.

MET

A-List Customer
It's almost perfect fit on you except being a little short. But that's my preference. If you like the front hem over your belt you should be happy.

Plus blunt, flat cut hems always ride up a bit in the front...if you look at the back, were it any longer it wouldn't sit right. To cover your belt you'd need a drop front, which would utterly destroy the jacket. Those look to be iron heart bootcut never fade blacks. I had a pair and they do sit really low on the hips...

JanW

New in Town
Those look to be iron heart bootcut never fade blacks. I had a pair and they do sit really low on the hips...

Good eye! These are indeed Iron Heart bootcuts, but these are the black overdyed versions. You can see they're already starting to fade a bit into blue over the left pocket where my wallet goes. And yes, they are pretty low.

Mich486

One Too Many
Dude, in my book, this is EXACTLY how these jackets should fit and more importantly, look on someone! It's perfect on you! And it honestly doesn't even seem short at all. Not even close to being short, let alone too short. Those trousers clearly sit pretty low but despite that, even if it was a noticeably longer jacket, I'm afraid it would just end up looking weird, like any of the newer Levi's models. Besides, the jacket completely covers the belt on the back.

Type III is a super short style. Those vintage ones are like 22" in the back. They've got five to six buttons. Extra length messes up the design, whatever you may feel about short jackets. You've nothing to worry about.

Couldn’t agree more. I recently purchased a type 3 from Levi’s and it was stupidly long although was spot on everywhere else. It just looked wrong. Returned it straight away.

Good eye! These are indeed Iron Heart bootcuts, but these are the black overdyed versions. You can see they're already starting to fade a bit into blue over the left pocket where my wallet goes. And yes, they are pretty low.
I didn't know they did the OD in bootcut! Nice. Anyway man I think this jacket looks great. My Levis Sherpa lined corduroy trucker sits exactly the same way. These jackets get really weird looking to me when they aren't sitting high with a major V-shape to them...

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
My own preferences aside on the buckle issue, it's a good looking jacket. The tan belt probably draws the eye a bit against the black background, but its so marginal as to be down to personal taste rather than anything else. Like the black steer, btw, lovely grain.

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
The jacket looks perfect. And as Monitor pointed out " extra length messes up the design " is 100% correct !!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner