Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New GB Expedition

vintage68

Practically Family
Just received my Gibson & Barnes Expedition "Indy" jacket yesterday with special order nickel zipper.

IMG_0014.jpg

Getting GB to take my money was like pulling teeth I'm sorry to say. I had to take the zipper request up a level to a supervisor and had to pay an extra $38 for the privilege. Since I ordered out of season and they had to make the jacket specially, it didn't seem like using a different zipper would involve any extra work whatsoever.

They also tried to charge me an extra $40 since the price in the catalog has gone up (from $448 to $488), but the price I was looking at on the website still reflects the old price. Just seems like common sense to charge the lowest advertised price, but this too needed the involvement of a supervisor at my initiative.:rage:

In this economy vendors should be throwing rose petals at customer's feet when they walk in the door with a wad of cash IMHO.

The whole experience was baffling, but in the end I got what I wanted and I think the result is very nice. What say you?

Edward

Bartender
I'd be interested in seeing more photos of that; It seems that the G&B version comes highly recommended by the COW set. I'm waiting for the pound to high a high against the dollar again, then I might order. Was there a specific reason why you wanted a nickel zip installed? As I recall, the zip in the film jacket was gold coloured (painted on the first one, then brass in the others, if memory serves), so I presume it's not screen accuracy you're shooting after?

vintage68

Practically Family
I'm not crazy about brass anything. Any time I buy a new belt I always look for nickel hardware, or buy aftermarket and replace the buckle. I happen to think the nickel contrasts very nicely with dark brown, much better than brass.

Screen accuracy in my mind is another word for analysis paralysis. In several of the Indy movies (TOD comes to mind) the zipper was nickel, or it wore to the point that the nickel showed through the painted brass.

I'm a member of COW as well, but some people, or gearheads as we're known, just take screen accuracy too far. Worrying about belt loops being exactly x inches apart, or the proper roll of a jacket collar, or the flaps on a pocket being not angled properly, just takes it beyond where I want to go.

This is all personal opinion, but I bought it because it's the best made Indy jacket and wears like iron so I hope to have it the rest of my life.

vintage68

Practically Family
Edward said:
I'd be interested in seeing more photos of that

Here are a couple to tide you over until you order yours. Let me know if you'd like shots of anything in particular.

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

I'm really impressed with the quality. Just out of curiosity, why aren't you getting your Indy jacket from Wested in UK?

Edward

Bartender
vintage68 said:
I'm not crazy about brass anything. Any time I buy a new belt I always look for nickel hardware, or buy aftermarket and replace the buckle. I happen to think the nickel contrasts very nicely with dark brown, much better than brass.

I know what you mean. I like both, though if I was looking for something a little different, the nickel would be good, as brass-on-brown is as much a cliche as silver-on-black. I still like both, but yeah, sometimes something different is nice.

Screen accuracy in my mind is another word for analysis paralysis. In several of the Indy movies (TOD comes to mind) the zipper was nickel, or it wore to the point that the nickel showed through the painted brass.

Quite probably

I'm a member of COW as well, but some people, or gearheads as we're known, just take screen accuracy too far. Worrying about belt loops being exactly x inches apart, or the proper roll of a jacket collar, or the flaps on a pocket being not angled properly, just takes it beyond where I want to go.

lol I hear you - I'm not a member of OW, but I lurk regularly. I've been very involved in the hardcore of the Rocky Horror scene in the UK for over a decade now, so believe me, I know all there is to know about being anally-retentive when it comes to screen-accuracy. Mea culpa in no small measure! ;)

This is all personal opinion, but I bought it because it's the best made Indy jacket and wears like iron so I hope to have it the rest of my life.

It does seem to top the polls for the hardcore Indy crowd. I've consdiered the Wested, and I'm still in two minds. It'd certainly be cheaper and easier to get one from them, plus they're very reasonably priced for their custom option, and gonig made to measure for a jacket like that is appealing. I don't want to go for the lambskin (as per the screen jackets) as I know I'll only tear it at some point: one of the reasons I like leather is its durability! The lamb certainly has the advantage for warmer weather, but I tend to wear a fabric jacket like a harrington then, so. I might still look into the Wested from POV of their goat or horsehide.... probably best to take a visit out there, though as it'd be a day trip out of London, it's not a spur of the moment thing... Most folks who buy from them seem to be happy. Some complain about stitch-accuracy, though for me they're close enough.... the real concern I had was a fair few folks seem to have had issues with the stitching. Still, at a significant saving based on buying form the US.....

The idea of the Wested goat appeals to me as a hide; my A2s, when I get them, will be horse, so it's something different than that, and I do have an Aero AN6552 in goat and like it a lot. If I go Wested, it'd definitely be the Raiders model ,though I might see about having the larger internal pocket (per Last Crusade spec) put in. Any experience with Wested yourself?

vintage68

Practically Family
So far I've only bought the Indy pants from Wested, and was amazed that they were delivered to my door in Nevada within four days. Ordered Sunday night, delivered Thursday morning.

Interbak

One of the Regulars
Edward,

I have both G&B and Wested, and both in lamb. Ordered the Wested new and picked the authentic brown lamb since it was supposed to be the closest to the movie jacket they had and Wested is touted as the original Raiders maker. I was never particularly impressed with it, the leather is ridiculously thin, the color too light, and by the time it made it to Canada the shipping, taxes, and duty made it very expensive. The only way I'd ever get another of their products would be if I was actually in the shop and could see it first hand. If you are considering Wested, I'd make that day trip and select your hide carefully, authentic lamb isn't authentic in my book. The G&B I bought used off COW, still light lamb, but much better than the Wested, darker brown, overall much better constructed jacket. I haven't seen any of the other hides from either company up close (other than 2" square samples that don't give the real story), so all I can say is do your home work.

Brian

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I've seen a few Wested Indy jackets and haven't been impressed with the construction, or materials but beyond those issues, they're not very nicely styled jackets. For a "vintage style" jacket, it's lacking in vintage and style.
But I guess you can blame the film costumer for that, if Wested's jacket is "screen accurate", that is.

The G&B jacket is nicely made, though, regardless of any talk of style.

We all have different opinions, I know- this is mine.

B
T

Edward

Bartender
vintage68 said:
So far I've only bought the Indy pants from Wested, and was amazed that they were delivered to my door in Nevada within four days. Ordered Sunday night, delivered Thursday morning.

I picked up a couple of pairs of those myself about 18 months ago, actually - very pleased with them. I've worn them all over (they were great in China in May when it was already very hot for me), great trousers. Not especially an accurate thirties pattern, but they are accurate to the screen, which was the object of the exercise.

Regarding the comments noted above, I believe that Weste push lamb as 'screen accurate' because the film jacket were made from that (bear in mind how much time Ford spent running round in the desert heat in leather!!). Practical for that purpose, and I know some FL members have picked them up for Summer wear. I'm too hard on leather for lamb to last, though, so I'd be looking at one of the heavier hides. The big plus with Wested is that I could visit their store and be measured up for one - M2M is likely to gain a better fit than stock sizing, I'd have thought. The only thing that gives me second thoughts is the frequency with which I hear stories like BT's experience. Hard to say.... I might take a punt on Weste at some point given how much cheaper they are than the other options (and that's before shipping and import duties...), particularly when considering that while I would like an Indy jacket, it'll never be my first go-to, and I'm not a hardcore gearhead....

Corky

Practically Family
The G & B website is really out of whack...

The G & B website is really out of whack. Anybody who has read HTML for Dummies could update the prices and the paypal forms on their entire website in an hour or two.

First, their prices are not up to date. (I noticed this and made an offer to update their website in exchange for an Historical A-2, but was politely turned down.)

Also, if you take the trouble to inspect their paper catalog, it has lots of very interesting new items that are not on the website -- more lost sales.

My guess is that they do a lot of walk-in business to pilots and to the military. And they're happy with things just as they are.

Whoever is in charge of marketing has no clue as to how far out of touch they have become with current standards and practices of e-commerce.

Also, for a custom jacket shop, they appear to behave like petulant children. Try asking for an inside pocket or two to be added to a custom made A-2 and you'll see what I mean.

Edward

Bartender
Jinkies, I know the pound's worth peanuts now, but have their A2 prices shot up recently, or have I just confused them with someone else?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Yes, their prices have gone up - all of them. But they are still great value.

I have an Expo too (goat) and it is the best made leather jacket I have owned. I prefer the brass zip myself.

The Expo may be an Indy jacket but it also looks like so many utility jackets from the 1940's and 1950's usually made in goat or HH.

It would be good if G&B offered more options - colours and zips as a standard customer service response.

I also own a goat Wested which is reasonably well made (kind of a local tailor job, really) but no where near as good as the Expo.

Cheers

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
vintage68, do you think the GnB Indy is a fuller cut or a fitted? The Wested Hero jacket is a slim fit, the arms are tapered, and the shoulders are made to fall off the shoulder points, to give a more aged look. On GnB website they say theirs is super accurate, but accurate of which version? the later full cut version or the Raider version?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Club Obi-Wan, home to levels of knowledge about Indiana Jones gear that borders on terrifying...

http://www.indygear.com/cow/

Oh, and I'd like to put in a good word about Wested's Indy jackets.

I have nothing against G&B's jackets - I have two, a Civil A-2 and Historical M-422A - and they are very well made and extremely tough... mine practically still look new after ten and seven years of heavy wear. If you want an Indy jacket interpreted as a tough, milspec-like garment, they (or to a lesser extent, US Wings) are a fine choice. However, if you want an accurate movie-wardrobe jacket a la the 1980s originals, and you want custom modifications and personal sizing, Westeds are a fantastic value. My Wested lambskin is a great "summer weight" leather jacket, and fits me far better than any off-the-rack jacket would. No, the construction and materials aren't top flight, but they are great for the price. And, when I accidentally tore the back panel a few years ago, Wested repaired it magnificently for free and paid the return shipping!

Anyway, Wested jackets don't get enough respect. No, they're not milspec-tough, they're just movie wardrobe. But they're custom-sized and offer a lot of customization options at a very fair price...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari