Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Grey Akubra Federation

Edward

Bartender
Atomic Glee said:
Thanks for the tip on the glasses. These are beat up, and in need of replacement. I've been thinking on getting some vintage (or at least vintage-style) glasses.

If you're prepared to consider a 50s style, I think some G-Man style glasses would look great with that hat / suit combo.

besdor said:
It's interesting that one of the most popular brands here on the FL is the hardest to get in the USA . Everyone I see orders the hats from someone overseas . It's realy a shame that the selection in the USA stinks . I'd love to carry a nice selction of the hats but Akubra signed a contract with someone here who jacked up the price and has very little in stock .

I thought it was only the UK did that! There you go...

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
Could've asked the same in your Campdraft thread: Are we talking about dent, pinches, brim down with the help of steam, or did you actually reblock them? If so, what did you change?

The outcome is very good in any case!

I actually reblocked them - got the urge to exercise my hatting skills since I've not been in that business for a while, and obtained a (plastic) tall, straight-sided block.

Blocked them back open and then reshaped with no steam. This grey Federation in particular is so soft that it can be freely styled at will with no steam of any kind. The Campdraft isn't quite that soft, but then it's also far newer. Even so, it does pretty well without steam.

I redid my brown Federation too, but it's always been by far the stiffest of the three and I needed steam to reshape it after I blocked it. Just did a teardrop in it again.

schanop

New in Town
Akubra felt softness

It's quite interesting that you have mentioned varying degree of softness for your Akubra Federation and Campdraft. From what I have touched so far. It's been varying too. I have a carbon grey Federation as well, and it is softer than the brown Federation Deluxe out of the box, but still a bit stiffer than the tawny fawn Federation.

Last weekend when I was checking out Akubra Turin, the Leafgreen model was very stiff while the Moonstone grey one that I purchased was significantly softer. Similar things happen to some of the Hampton that I found at Strand Hatters, some were softer than the other, but I didn't remember exactly the colours.

Pok 9'er

New in Town
Akubra

The Banjo Patterson I have is quite soft yet firm. I remember the ping sound the raindrops made when I first got it. A year later the sound is not as pronounced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou