Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New GW Cooper in Steer (drool worthy)

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Is there something wrong with me if I am not "moved" by this one..I mean its nice and all but I keep looking at the pictures waiting for something to happen...I guess I'm not an A-2 guy..don't hate me!

schitzo

Suspended
Is there something wrong with me if I am not "moved" by this one..I mean its nice and all but I keep looking at the pictures waiting for something to happen...I guess I'm not an A-2 guy..don't hate me!

I don't care about A2s either it's the leather I've been ogling

Of course not. But you might want to do a personal reach-around to make sure it's all still there lolJK - if everyone liked the same things, it would get boring fast. I've started drifting from mil jackets to civi ones in the last 6 months. Even if the A-2 isn't your thing, look at the hide man. Now, check again ;)

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Part of the problem is that we've become so accustomed to cheap clothes (well, cheap everything), that it can be hard to actually shell out for something well made.

The recent tragedy in Bangladesh got some airtime for the author of "Overdressed", a fascinating account of the cost of cheap clothes. In an interview on NPR, she talks about the great contrast between the percentage of our salaries that goes to clothes today, and that of a century ago. Can't remember the exact figures, but basically the average person spends next to nothing on clothes today.

http://www.npr.org/2013/05/02/180557959/ethical-fashion-is-the-tragedy-in-bangladesh-a-final-straw

I caught that on NPR as well. The whole cheap made to Goodwill to 3rd world pipeline was amazing. Really made me think!

Worf

Ishmael

Practically Family
Me too. Less is indeed more.
It is a challenge though. Demands two types of knowledge. Knowledge of self (what I want, what looks good on me, what I happily and contentedly wear for years to come etc.). And knowledge of goods (materials, construction etc.).
Guess it's the search for those knowledges that brought us, and brings us, to places like this.

pipvh

Practically Family
Mister Freedom.." Own less, pay more"....

It's starting to sink in, with me anyway.

In our culture, "own less, pay more" has become, really, something like an act of faith. I'm currently wearing a pair of Trickers boots I bought 20 years ago, but if you'd told me in 1993 that I wouldn't need another pair of boots until the second decade of the next century (strictly speaking, though, these ones have got at least another decade in 'em) I'd have said you were mad. Built-in obsolescence and the ability to replace your cheap s**t instantly with more cheap s**t has destroyed the notion of clothing as investment so thoroughly that I wonder if it's possible to rekindle it now.

I have three repro A2s..an original A2..original G1 and repro B6....but after acquiring a Aero FQHH civi jacket years ago..my interest changed in favor of the civis. I rarely wear the A2s..and never the G1 although the B6 gets plenty of wear during winter months.
I still enjoy seeing photos of how far the A2 repros have come..and what they will improve next..but I have no intention of buying another one.
My interest is truly with civilian styles. There are so many being offered...but I think I actually have several now that fulfill my needs and desires. A good place to be.
HD

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I wish I liked A2's because there are so many great repos these days. But I don't get them - those epaulets, the cargo pockets, the one piece back - no thanks. Civi's all the way - although I don't mind my G&B Raider -knits, a G1 back, no cargo pockets and no epaulettes.

Cooperson

One Too Many
I'm glad some have 'come out' regarding A-2's. I appreciated them and like to see them but I've never really wanted one myself, I'm just not a big fan of knits on a leather jacket. There I've said it!

Never thought I'd own up to that here, thought I'd get tarred and feathered :)

Edward

Bartender
I heard that pink liners were also being found as we speak...that'll throw a wrench into the mix... lol

Ha... I'd find it hilarious if they turned up a blousey one with handwarmers...

Ok, let's see: £933 over 18 months... taking into account the likelihood of my untimely death... plus the Irvin... sheesh, that's almost do-able... aarghh! Mind you, I haven't included in the girlfriend disapproval multiplier, which will make the 18 months feel like three years.

That's not related to the potential for an untimely death? ;)

And there's no good mid-price option any more. That slice of the market has gone the way of the DeSoto and the Pontiac. What you get when you pay a little more is not quality, but the same cheap stuff with gimmicks and geegaws added to appeal to the consumerist.

It doesn't have to be that way, but for right now, it pretty much is.

Yeah, that's the problem I have a lot of the time - they stuff I really want I simply cannot afford to begin with. Still, I do find military repro can be found relatively cheaply... with care and the rights bits, it can pass just fine for civilian wear, at a fraction of the cost of an identical quality item produced as civilian...

I have three repro A2s..an original A2..original G1 and repro B6....but after acquiring a Aero FQHH civi jacket years ago..my interest changed in favor of the civis. I rarely wear the A2s..and never the G1 although the B6 gets plenty of wear during winter months.
I still enjoy seeing photos of how far the A2 repros have come..and what they will improve next..but I have no intention of buying another one.
My interest is truly with civilian styles. There are so many being offered...but I think I actually have several now that fulfill my needs and desires. A good place to be.
HD

I've gone down the civilian route more myself too, though I do still want a couple of USN jackets, and I'm always tempted by a used russet A2... That said, I agree - even if I'm not in the market for the very high end repro A2s, I love knowing they're out there, and it's great to see them.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Never had a problem with knits - though that may be due my northern latitude. It's more the unpredictable fit that deters me - no one A-2 seems to have the same dimensions as another [huh]. The new GW is probably the nicest I've seen yet, though a decent night's sleep and having recovered from giving a pint of blood yesterday, I'm past my immediate craving for it... who knows when it'll return though?:D

I will always have room for all kinds. But once I got back into a dressier civi style, I realized I felt more comfortable on a daily basis wearing those. I have no doubts that the jackets we see here are waaaaay nicer than anything anyone wore in WWII. But I love that there is still interest in them and it honors those guys in the military years after they've done their grand service. I also have been a motorcyclist since I was ~10. There's lots of styles in that world too, and I'm just beginning to look at some of those.
We're all pretty lucky to be able to have so many jackets - so many styles. Most of those guys back in the day were lucky if they had one leather jacket. I want to spend more time getting mine worn in now that I know what I like...but easier said than done lol

Brettafett

One Too Many
I remember when all I wanted was a cool looking old leather 'bomber' jacket.
Now, theres no hope for me, girlfriend, wife, lover... they all need to understand... I am on a quest for the perfect jacket.
I am getting closer, but not there yet.
I know my ideal measurements and I know that any boring smooth leather simply won't do anymore.
As far as Johns offerings... He may be the death of me yet. I could fork out the deposit, but then come time to choose the contract, NO WAY MAN! WHICH WOULD I CHOOSE! I LOVE THEM ALL!
;)

Edward

Bartender
Never had a problem with knits - though that may be due my northern latitude.

I kinda have a thing for them... probably a deep echo of the psychological damage done by an ex who years ago flat out forbade me from buying a jacket with cause as she didn't like them. It's not why she became an ex.... but in retrospect, it should have been!

I will always have room for all kinds. But once I got back into a dressier civi style, I realized I felt more comfortable on a daily basis wearing those. I have no doubts that the jackets we see here are waaaaay nicer than anything anyone wore in WWII. But I love that there is still interest in them and it honors those guys in the military years after they've done their grand service. I also have been a motorcyclist since I was ~10. There's lots of styles in that world too, and I'm just beginning to look at some of those.
We're all pretty lucky to be able to have so many jackets - so many styles. Most of those guys back in the day were lucky if they had one leather jacket. I want to spend more time getting mine worn in now that I know what I like...but easier said than done lol

I'm lucky, you're lucky, we're all lucky..... (as someone once said....). Definitely so - you should see some of the original rocker jackets I've seen - thin, poor quality, plastic(!).... and that was the one jacket some guy could get, for best. Easy to lose sight of how fortunate we all are...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo