Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New half-belt by Johnson Leathers

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I already had two fantastically well-made Johnson Leathers jackets so I recently asked them (Alan) to make me a 1950's Californian Sportswear style half-belt. I didn't want FQHH or anything too heavy so I went with a 3 oz finished cowhide.

Great service: had an online discussion with Alan about various details, sent him some photos of jackets I liked and this is what I got 5 weeks later.

The leather has a lot of character already and I think will age very well.

Size 44 – custom fit.

27 inch back

26 inch sleeves

French button cuffs

Leather lined pockets.

I asked for a breathable polyester twill lining

It came out 100% the way I wanted it too. Always wanted a half-belt. Thanks Alan and Co.

Click the link - http://www.flickr.com/photos/63500226@N07/ for photos.

Last edited:

BobJ

Practically Family
That's a beautiful jacket Seb! - Sharp and classic. I really like the grain and the "French cuffs". It's amazing to me that they could make such an intricate jacket so perfectly, from a picture, without and in-house pattern. Some very skilled machinists there. Did they nail the fit? Did they send you a cloth jacket first, to tweek the final measurements?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Thanks. Yeah, the fit is great. Based on a series of measurements I provided when I got my first cafe racer from them. I understand that Johnson's can do pretty much any type of jacket. Alan mentioned something about making vintage styles for Japanese buyers.

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
I was hoping that your new jacket would be making an appearance here. Alan has mentioned it to me a few times when I've talked to him on the phone. It came up because as I was going over the details of what I was looking for, he mentioned that he was working with someone else on almost the same jacket that I was describing. I believe that leather is the same as one of the swatches that I was so fond of, I really liked the feel of it. Your jacket looks great — it's really hard to imagine how JL is able to nail a custom design the first time out of the gate the way they do. Being familiar with the build quality of JL's jackets, I'm sure it will last you for as long as you are around to wear it.

Enjoy!

Peacoat

Bartender
It looks great, and the grain has already started to pop out. Alan and his guys know their business. Plus he is such a pleasure to talk to and do business with.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
this is a beautiful jacket !
I just got off the phone with Alan to Complement him & inquire of course,
So ill have to visit J L very soon.... he has this great black over brown that looks like horsehide & he can have it skived for s more comfy fit & weight.
i have some jackets they have made for me all Winner's & vintage HH he has done great work on...
I love my Aero's but cant wear em daily in my climate 1 hour north /east of San Francisco so these Johnson customs are the ticket.
& Alan can get a vintage zipper if needed for extra $ of course but they will never milk you on cool extras.
Congrats on your jacket please post up some pics being worn if possible.
Thanks che:cool:

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
Very Nice.

8081821816_1ca55bb46e_c.jpg
8081822216_0e8efa4508_c.jpg

8081822586_a28336325b_c.jpg
8081827951_56c8930b56_c.jpg

8081823496_53354be5d2_c.jpg

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Alan and Craig at Johnson are exceptional folks. They were very acomodating with me with both of the jackets I ordered from them. I ordered a dark brown goatskin flight jacket from them which I believe is on their website, and a medium brown russet A-2 (without the wind flap) made from horsehide. Both the goatskin and horse they had in stock were 2.5 oz, which might seem thin but both will hold up forever.

53Effie

A-List Customer
Terrific jacket. I am a JL customer also and I certainly echo all the good comments about them in this thread. Just a great company in my opinion!

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
this is a beautiful jacket !
I just got off the phone with Alan to Complement him & inquire of course,
So ill have to visit J L very soon.... he has this great black over brown that looks like horsehide & he can have it skived for s more comfy fit & weight.

I'm guessing that is the 3.75 oz. black over brown chromexcel (oil-pull) that they used to construct my jacket as that is exactly how Alan described the hide to me. I can't say enough good things about it. I've inquired about obtaining this same hide in a different color directly from the tannery, but it was too cost prohibitive for me as Horween charges even more for this oil-pull cowhide than they do for horsehide. The stuff is bomb-proof. I was wearing mine yesterday on a 20 minute walk in the rain and the water just beaded up and rolled right off of the jacket.

I've also received some 3oz. cowhide swatches from JL that appear to be the exact same leather used in Seb's jacket. I would choose this hide for my next jacket if it were a lighter shade of brown — I'm wanting more contrast between the next jacket I order and the first jacket they made for me. This hide exhibits many of the same characteristics when it came to the way the hide feels and responds to being manipulated by hand except that it has far more texture. It's very supple, yet I could tell that it would definitely mold itself to the person wearing the jacket. Overall just a great feeling leather that is tough as nails.None of this would matter nearly as much if their jackets weren't crafted with such great workmanship which is truly the icing on the cake. I'm really looking forward to Seb's experiences with this jacket as it is worn and broken in.

trapp

Practically Family
Wow, Seb Lucas, that is one amazing jacket. I love the grainy leather and all the details. Is it black or brown? Looks like dark brown but I can't tell if it's taking color from the rug or something else in the room.

I'm really happy to see another happy JL customer. I visited them a month or so ago on reconnaissance, met Alan and Craig, and left feeling quite determined to get a jacket from them in the future.

Last edited:

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
Seb, how is the range of motion with the top yoke/partial bi-swing back design? Such as when you're driving and reaching forward for the steering wheel. I'd really like to hear your thoughts on this and how it compares to the other designs you've chosen in the past from JL. Thanks!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the feedback. I'll try and post more pics later.
In terms of movement I can raise or outstretched my arms no problem. Jacket doesn't even ride up much.

It's still needs to form to my shape and although malleable is a bit firm.

The colour is dark brown.

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
Hi Seb,

I did a search for this thread to look at some of the photos you had posted of your jacket. I thought you had posted some larger photos, including one of the back of the jacket. I don't see them now, but perhaps I've confused this thread with another?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy