Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the Lounge. It sounds like you already have an impressive set of hats. It is not often a newcomer joins who already has such a severe case of Hat Acquisition Syndrome.

We look forward to seeing lots of pictures.

Thanks for having me. Been reading without joining for ages, figured it was time to saddle up.

Retired, 71 YO former lawdog, 20+ year Cowboy Action Shooter, and lifetime hat addict. Brief recap as it stands currently:

Twenty-three felt cowboy hats used in my Cowboy Action Shooting hobby.

Twelve felt cowboy hats for everyday wear.

Six straw cowboy hats for everyday wear.

One straw cowboy hat for wear while gardening/working outdoors.

Eight felt fedoras for everyday and/or dress-wear.

Two straw fedoras for everyday and/or dress-wear.

My current purchases generally run about three vintage cowboy hats to every new one.

Thanks for having me!

hambone71

Practically Family
Thanks for having me. Been reading without joining for ages, figured it was time to saddle up.

Retired, 71 YO former lawdog, 20+ year Cowboy Action Shooter, and lifetime hat addict. Brief recap as it stands currently:

My current purchases generally run about three vintage cowboy hats to every new one.

Thanks for having me!
Welcome to the lounge. I lurked for a long time, as well, without making myself known. These guys here are the best enablers on the world wide web and I'm proud to be amongst them.

Thanks for having me!

Welcome! Sounds like you already fit right in. I’m sure I’m one of many looking forward to seeing your collection as time goes on.

Where did you do your LEO work? It seems like ever fifth person in Idaho is a retired LEO…not that that is a bad thing.

VoodooSan

A-List Customer
Still learning my way around here, not yet sure where members post "showing off" pics. :p

Worked for the Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office in Cali. Otherwise known to the world as Silicon Valley. And yes, my new, beloved home state, is TEEMING with retire law dogs and fire eaters.

bolted

New in Town
I’m new. I’ve seen incredible hat collections. Mainly traditional baseball caps of various configurations, mesh, light/heavy cotton, or various nylon & synthetic mesh configurations.
They certainly help shield the eyes, rain or shine.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I’m new. I’ve seen incredible hat collections. Mainly traditional baseball caps of various configurations, mesh, light/heavy cotton, or various nylon & synthetic mesh configurations.
Welcome to the lounge.
Hopefully we can help you learn to shield your ears and neck as well.
It’s the least we can do.

I have a collection of vintage baseball caps from back in the day when they were made of wool and would last you 20+ years. The crap they sell today in polyester for 3 times the price is just wrong.

Fra Fillipo

New in Town
I've been a fan of hats since I was a kid, never leave the house without one. A couple years ago my wife bought me a nice Serratelli which became my good Sunday go to meeting hat. I soon discovered I needed a brown hat to go with my brown boots and it's gotten completely out of control since then.
I found y'all researching the vintage hats I've bought. You came up so often in the search results and had such a fun and interesting site I had to join.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
There are lots of hats - and lots of knowledge - here on the Lounge. And lots of members with, well, lots of hats. Welcome.

I've been a fan of hats since I was a kid, never leave the house without one. A couple years ago my wife bought me a nice Serratelli which became my good Sunday go to meeting hat. I soon discovered I needed a brown hat to go with my brown boots and it's gotten completely out of control since then.
I found y'all researching the vintage hats I've bought. You came up so often in the search results and had such a fun and interesting site I had to join.

riddlers

New in Town
Hello -- I learned of this forum some time ago, and recently decided to join. My grandfather had a modest collection of hats, watches, dress shoes, and vintage cars. With age, I developed a fondness for Pappy's past hobbies and chose to start collecting the brands he liked, particularly Cananagh and Dobbs (in hats/caps). My modest collection has several caps and some Fedora hats including:
  • A 1950's Cavanagh Trilby Java brown hat with the Cavanagh edge and frayed bow.
  • A very soft Cavanagh Chelsea Fedora listed as Jade Black, but it certainly looks brown.
  • An older Dobbs Veluna Trilby in Tobacco brown and with a Guild Edge..
  • A 1970's or 1980's Dobbs Trilby in medium gray. It has a black leather band instead of ribbon.
  • Two modern Dobbs Strand II Fedora blue hats.
  • A Gorbin Brother's Fedora in tan (received as a gift).
  • A never worn blue check pattern wool Dobbs hat similarly worn like Gilligan's hat in Gilligan's Island.
  • Several caps (mostly newsboy look) including one tan Herbert Johnson, one light brown suede Cananagh, one plaid Doria, one tan Gorbin Brothers (another gift from same person), and multiple patterned Hannah caps.
The members here provided wisdom and insights (through threads) concerning different hats/caps and that information proved significantly useful for some purchases. Unfortunately, a few less-than-ideal purchases occurred prior to learning of the forum, but nothing overly expensive.

I am looking for a vintage light gray Fedora in the near future. Hopefully some members will offer recommendations. All of the information provided in the forum an threads has eliminated poor choices due to brand quality, condition or pricing. Thank you for all your help.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the Lounge, Richard. There is a wealth of information and history in the group. We look forward to adding some of yours to the mix.

Hello -- I learned of this forum some time ago, and recently decided to join. My grandfather had a modest collection of hats, watches, dress shoes, and vintage cars. With age, I developed a fondness for Pappy's past hobbies and chose to start collecting the brands he liked, particularly Cananagh and Dobbs (in hats/caps). My modest collection has several caps and some Fedora hats including:
  • A 1950's Cavanagh Trilby Java brown hat with the Cavanagh edge and frayed bow.
  • A very soft Cavanagh Chelsea Fedora listed as Jade Black, but it certainly looks brown.
  • A 1970's or 1980's Dobbs Trilby in medium gray. It has a black leather band instead of ribbon.
  • A never worn blue check pattern wool Dobbs hat similarly worn like Gilligan's hat in Gilligan's Island.
  • Several caps (mostly newsboy look) including one tan Herbert Johnson, one light brown suede Cananagh, one plaid Doria, one tan Gorbin Brothers (another gift from same person), and multiple patterned Hannah caps.
The members here provided wisdom and insights (through threads) concerning different hats/caps and that information proved significantly useful for some purchases. Unfortunately, a few less-than-ideal purchases occurred prior to learning of the forum, but nothing overly expensive.

I am looking for a vintage light gray Fedora in the near future. Hopefully some members will offer recommendations. All of the information provided in the forum an threads has eliminated poor choices due to brand quality, condition or pricing. Thank you for all your help.

Woodtroll

One Too Many

Welcome to the Lounge! It sounds like you have a nice collection started.

You sound like you’re our kind of people. We look forward to seeing your hats and caps, and we hope you enjoy your stay.

riddlers

New in Town
Thank you for all the welcoming comments. I will try to post some pictures in the future but photography was not listed in the hobbies statement, so be warned.

I am looking for a vintage light gray Fedora in the near future. Hopefully some members will offer recommendations. All of the information provided in the forum a threads has eliminated poor choices due to brand quality, condition or pricing. Thank you for all your help.
Welcome Richard. We look forward to seeing your collection in What Hat are You Wearing Today thread.

Matt Black

New in Town
Hello. I'm not sure if it's because I've nearing my middle 50's or what, but in the last year I have been having weird urges to put away the cargo shorts, t-shirts and ball caps and start dressing like, as one of my work collegues put it, "A "Leave it to Beaver" extra". Doesn't bother me, I like it and my wife (who has a BFA in Theatre with emphasis in costuming, and is a long time fan of early and mid 20th century clothing) is certainly not complaining. I have always been a "hat guy" and worn various types to suit the weather and occasion, but until recently my collection had never included a traditionally styled Fedora. I purchased a Dobbs Strand II late last year and have seldom left the house without it riding on my head since.

Now in the market for a Spring/Summer straw hat and stumbled upon this site while researching options and trying to decipher the various straw types and weaves, of which a full understanding yet eludes me. Seems like an extremely knowlegeable community here (I was able to date my vintage Woolrich hunting coat!) and I look forward to lurking and learning.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Hello. I'm not sure if it's because I've nearing my middle 50's or what, but in the last year I have been having weird urges to put away the cargo shorts, t-shirts and ball caps and start dressing like, as one of my work collegues put it, "A "Leave it to Beaver" extra". Doesn't bother me, I like it and my wife (who has a BFA in Theatre with emphasis in costuming, and is a long time fan of early and mid 20th century clothing) is certainly not complaining. I have always been a "hat guy" and worn various types to suit the weather and occasion, but until recently my collection had never included a traditionally styled Fedora. I purchased a Dobbs Strand II late last year and have seldom left the house without it riding on my head since.

Now in the market for a Spring/Summer straw hat and stumbled upon this site while researching options and trying to decipher the various straw types and weaves, of which a full understanding yet eludes me. Seems like an extremely knowlegeable community here (I was able to date my vintage Woolrich hunting coat!) and I look forward to lurking and learning.

Welcome to the Lounge, Matt! I think you'll enjoy your time here.

Welcome. There is no shortage of info available here in The Lounge. Caution: tis a rabbit hole! Give some thought as to how/when/where you will wear the straw and that will help you determine which straw to buy. From a rugged Sunbody to the finest Panama there is a wide world of selection, price points, refinement, and ruggedness/wearability. Have fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner