Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Thanks and I made the mistake of buying the lesser unknown brands because I thought these felt hats are built equally and boy was I wrong.

I have some fur hats that are decent in quality and I bought it because I didn't know better.

Now I have to either throw them away or donate to Goodwill. Most likely donate the ones I don't want.

I guess this is part of the learning process and now I know exactly what I'm looking for.
I think the pursuit of hats is very much like most things in life. We learn by our mistakes (hopefully) and pray that the mistakes are not toooo costly. I keep a few hats around from when I began this pursuit25 - 30 years ago mostly to remind myself from whence I came.

Thanks and I made the mistake of buying the lesser unknown brands because I thought these felt hats are built equally and boy was I wrong.

I have some fur hats that are decent in quality and I bought it because I didn't know better.

Now I have to either throw them away or donate to Goodwill. Most likely donate the ones I don't want.

I guess this is part of the learning process and now I know exactly what I'm looking for.
That’s also a relative thing as well. When it comes to vintage... some of the older lesser known brands end up being really fantastic hats.

STRIKEZ

New in Town
I started to become interested in fedora’s about this time last year. I was at a local hat shop - shout out to Hats in the Belfry downtown Annapolis, MD - and purchased fur felt Stetson. I wore it through winter and went back to Hats in the Belfry and bought a Stetson straw fedora. I then began to research hats and every search came to the fedora lounge. I like the discussions and vast knowledge I’m gaining from this site.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
I started to become interested in fedora’s about this time last year. I was at a local hat shop - shout out to Hats in the Belfry downtown Annapolis, MD - and purchased fur felt Stetson. I wore it through winter and went back to Hats in the Belfry and bought a Stetson straw fedora. I then began to research hats and every search came to the fedora lounge. I like the discussions and vast knowledge I’m gaining from this site.

Welcome to the Lounge!

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Welcome aboard. There is, indeed, a lot to learn here on TFL.

harrytemp

One of the Regulars
Also I fee like an idiot wearing hats. Still not use to it.

I will walk out the house with one on and change my mind and go for the baseball cap.

Not use to it yet. Just a closet hat lover for now.

I will walk out the house with one on and change my mind and go for the baseball cap.

The only way to get over it is to keep wearing the hats. Discover, maybe you are just not a hat person and are trying to force something that will never fit for you. The only way to find out is to do it, test it over time. If you are not a hat person....look on the bright side........consider all the money you will be saving!

DonR

One of the Regulars
Hi everybody,

I just wanted to introduce myself. I've been lurking a while and finally registered a couple of weeks ago. I'm rather new to wearing hats most of the time, but I do have a collection of hats mostly from that auction site.

I have a Stetson Twenty, Stetson Royal Deluxe The Eagle, a 60's I'm guessing Royal Deluxe, Dobbs Twenty in sage, Dobbs Twenty in gray, Dobbs Sixteen Fifty, Dobbs Hanover Square, Dobbs Game Bird, Mallory The Ten, Knox Fifteen, Adam Premier Executive, Akubra Angler, Ecuadorian Panama Hat Co Supernatural Milan, Stetson Woven Hemp Medalist, and some flat hats by Gottmann.

I enjoy wearing a nice vintage hat that is as old or older than I am. I really enjoy seeing all the pictures on here of the hats and vintage clothing. I'd love the clothing, but not sure where to find it. We mostly have Amish stores around us.

Looking forward to sharing more often and learning from everybody.

Regards,
Don

Hi everybody,

I just wanted to introduce myself. I've been lurking a while and finally registered a couple of weeks ago. I'm rather new to wearing hats most of the time, but I do have a collection of hats mostly from that auction site.

I have a Stetson Twenty, Stetson Royal Deluxe The Eagle, a 60's I'm guessing Royal Deluxe, Dobbs Twenty in sage, Dobbs Twenty in gray, Dobbs Sixteen Fifty, Dobbs Hanover Square, Dobbs Game Bird, Mallory The Ten, Knox Fifteen, Adam Premier Executive, Akubra Angler, Ecuadorian Panama Hat Co Supernatural Milan, Stetson Woven Hemp Medalist, and some flat hats by Gottmann.

I enjoy wearing a nice vintage hat that is as old or older than I am. I really enjoy seeing all the pictures on here of the hats and vintage clothing. I'd love the clothing, but not sure where to find it. We mostly have Amish stores around us.

Regards,
Don
Welcome

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
If you are used to wearing caps, you're half way there. Keep wearing hats at home and soon you'll walk out of the house without even thinking about what is on your head. You will likely get compliments along the way but believe me when I say that 99.99% of the people you encounter won't even notice.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the Lounge. Many of us are already envious of your hat collection. We hope you will post pictures often.

Hi everybody,

Regards,
Don

Hi everybody,

Regards,
Don
Welcome to the lounge, Don. Your collection so far sounds fantastic. We look forward to seeing you post photos In What Hat are you Wearing Today.

DonR

One of the Regulars
I think I recall seeing that new members can't post photos until after 5 postings. Is that correct?

I’m not sure… but I think we can get you to five quickly :)

Obligatory

merlin_151653618_95eb8c00-056f-41bf-bc9b-3430679c26fe-superJumbo.jpg

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
^^^….and the handshake.
During the following probationary period subsequent traditions and protocols such as humor, witty sarcasm, never acrimony, etc etc, will be revealed on a post by post basis via member responses.
All should be taken to heart.
Welcoming wisdom says you should not believe anything some people say.
Thick skin is a plus, being an instant hat master, not so much. YMMV

Directions for the handshake can be found using the lounge search function under all threads. Your journey begins there and ends the initiation process. A hat will be awarded by me upon completion.
Hope this helps @DonR.
B
Ps: you brought some nice hats fella.
I hope my welcome was well wecieved. Being vintage myself, i claim no knowledge, just longevity and momentary reality.

Hi everybody,

Regards,
Don

Hello, Don. I hope you’ll share photos of your collection in time. It sounds like you have hats most of us hunt for.

This is a friendly place and I hope you feel welcome.

DonR

One of the Regulars
^^^….and the handshake.
During the following probationary period subsequent traditions and protocols such as humor, witty sarcasm, never acrimony, etc etc, will be revealed on a post by post basis via member responses.
All should be taken to heart.
Welcoming wisdom says you should not believe anything some people say.
Thick skin is a plus, being an instant hat master, not so much. YMMV

Directions for the handshake can be found using the lounge search function under all threads. Your journey begins there and ends the initiation process. A hat will be awarded by me upon completion.
Hope this helps @DonR.
B
Ps: you brought some nice hats fella.
I hope my welcome was well wecieved. Being vintage myself, i claim no knowledge, just longevity and momentary reality.

I think I read everything in the forums (lol). We're currently living in 500 sqft cottage, and if introduce any more hats, my wife may kill me with them.

Well received. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy