Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New to Hats

jkingrph

Practically Family
Hopefully I shall soon have my son wearing hats. He is a young attorney in another of our southern states.

Yesterday I purchased him a cheap generic venitlated hat, fedora style at of all places, Tractor Supply.

I called him last night and told him I had purchased for him and would give it to him next time we meet, and that he could use it for yard work ect at his new home this summer. I explained it would be much better than the baseball style caps he uses and would protect head, ears, and back of neck much better, especially since at 30 he is rapidly balding.

I was surprised at his interest and enthuisam (sp) at the idea of wearing a hat, even receptive to the idea of finding a nice Panama style to wear going to and from court, ect.

Jeff

Merlin

Familiar Face
As someone who's done just that (wearing hats to and from court), I can tell you there are a number of advantages as well as disadvantages to it. It can be very difficult to carry a hat without crushing it if you've got a briefcase in one hand and a stack of papers or file folders in the other. A lot of court officers will make you remove a hat once you're inside the courthouse (not just the court room), so where to put it can be an issue. Fortunately, many courthouses offer attorneys' lounges where you can hang a coat and/or hat. If your courthouse doesn't offer one (which most smaller ones don't), you're out of luck. And then, once you get into the courtroom, you need a place to put it, which can be tough if you're just waiting to present a motion and are crammed into a tiny, overcrowded courtroom. Keeping a hat unscathed under such conditions isn't easy.

But you know what? Despite the fact that it can sometimes be a PIA, I still do it! Here's hoping your son will, too.

Pat_H

A-List Customer
I wear a hat to court quite a bit. I actually have two occupations, one an outdoor agricultural one, so I'm pretty used to wearing hats. But dress hats are somewhat uncommon here.

Be that as it may, I almost never go anywhere in cold or wet weather without a hat. Usually for court work I wear a newsboy, although I desperately need to find a new one. But on occasion I'll wear an old Stetson Open Road, and rarely a conservative Stetson fedora.

The downside is there's rarely anywhere to put the hat once you're in the court. In a courtroom, I'll just end up dumping it on one of the chairs behind the counsel desk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff