Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Years Eve

Edward

Bartender
No plans this year. I was utterly indifferent to it for years: since Autumn 1979, I've never not been in an educational environment, either as a student or in employment. As a result, the concept of a year that runs anything other than September to September is essentially meaningless to me. Still, these last few years it has been a chance to spend a night out with friends, and I've been to some great cabaret events. This year, however, all my usual co-conspirators are away, working, or otherwise unavailable, and for one reason and another I've just not made any plans. Quiet one in with the cats, I guess.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
A friend and I are meeting at the Driskill Hotel in Austin, Texas for cigars and drinks to bring in the new year. Bring in the old, bring in the new!

Marzena

One of the Regulars
Well, I had that dream of festive end of year ever since I have first seen "Holiday Inn" that was shown on the TV every Christmas time, for all the Communism around. If only I could find the Holiday Inn! My idea of festive fun to boots!
But I know I belong to a tiny minority...: ( .

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
For me, New Year's Eves ain't what they used to be.

New Year's Eve, 1993: Spent on the R.M.S. Queen Mary and at Howard Hughes's Spruce Goose, back when both were-side-by-side in Long Beach, California. The Queen Mary had three different parties going on at the same time: one with a swing/big band, the other with a salsa band, and the third with a rock band: you could go back and forth from party to party. Many men wore tuxedos; many others wore suits. There were fireworks, too. Around 1 a.m., I drank champagne from a lady's shoe. (Forget I just said that.)

New Year's Eve, 1997: Spent at an old Hollywood warehouse that had been converted into a 1920s speakeasy. (California's new ban on smoking in restuarants and bars would go into effect at midnight, so everyone smoked like mad that night -- and after midnight too, actually.) A wild, wild party with hundreds of people dressed in '20s garb ...

New Year's Eve, 2011: Will be spent at home, doing essentially nothing ... and then going to bed well before midnight.

Last edited:

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I've never liked NYE - I've always found it quite anticlimactic. I used to head into town but really disliked going into packed pubs, dealing with people who are completely plastered, waiting ages to get served at the bar and then ages to get a taxi home. I much prefer to stay in now and avoid all that - relax on my comfy sofa, have some nice food and wine and watch a good movie.....

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've never liked NYE - I've always found it quite anticlimactic. I used to head into town but really disliked going into packed pubs, dealing with people who are completely plastered, waiting ages to get served at the bar and then ages to get a taxi home. I much prefer to stay in now and avoid all that - relax on my comfy sofa, have some nice food and wine and watch a good movie.....

Thanks, that's the word I've been looking for, "anticlimactic". I always used to have high expectations, now I don't. Last year I stayed at my parents house (91 year old Dad, 79 year old Mom) and watched four or five Marx Brothers movies. That was one of the better ones.

Years ago, we were invited to go to Downtown Wichita for New Years Eve. I said nope, I don't want to drive in what's essentially a baited field for the DUI guys. Wife responds with well, you don't have to drink to have fun. True I said, but if I'm not drinking or picking up chicks, why am I going to a bar? I didn't end up having to drive so things went fairly well. (I got to drink at least.)

Later

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
Growing up with a Father who was a professional musician gave me reason enough to despise the holiday of the perpetually drunk! (My father was a teetotaler)
The best day is starting the morning of the 1st, no one on the roads or in stores, restaurants because they are hung over :eusa_clap

Nothing like the quiet intimacy of ones surroundings.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
You use the open toed shoe to position the bottle with the open end of the bottle sticking out where the toes go and the base of the bottle over the heel. Pick up by the heel (hold onto the bottle) and position the toe part of the shoe towards your mouth. Remember to open your mouth and tip your head backwards, and ta-daa, you've drunk from an open-toed shoe! Or gave yourself a black eye!

Bonus points if the shoe has ankle straps and you wrap these around the base of the bottle to secure it (preventing said black eye). Or if at this point you can still tie, buckle, or close things.

rue

You use the open toed shoe to position the bottle with the open end of the bottle sticking out where the toes go and the base of the bottle over the heel. Pick up by the heel (hold onto the bottle) and position the toe part of the shoe towards your mouth. Remember to open your mouth and tip your head backwards, and ta-daa, you've drunk from an open-toed shoe! Or gave yourself a black eye!

Bonus points if the shoe has ankle straps and you wrap these around the base of the bottle to secure it (preventing said black eye). Or if at this point you can still tie, buckle, or close things.

lol

Something tells me that at that point they wouldn't be able to tie, buckle, or close anything :p

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I will only drink from patent leather Louboutin.:cool:

Christian-Louboutin-Lady-Page-Velvet-Bow-Pumps-B11032206.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo