Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Northwest Hats, Eugene, Ore.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
TJ

As I already had a couple of Indy style hats with tall crowns I purposely went a bit lower on this one. From memory Mike thought the film hat to be approx 5 1/2" open crown, but I decided to go 5 1/4. I was looking for a hat 'in the style of' not a facsimile. I also went for 2 1/4 brim as that's my personal favourite.

I love it and was lucky to get the Fepsa felt. I have a few Winchester felts and as you say Mike can get a lovely finish. I'm sure you'll be pleased.
It looks great, TQ.

RJR

Hat-NW Hats-R2.jpg

When I had Mike build this one weight wasn't the main concern.What surprised me is that this SB beaver with tip liner only,snowflake vents and ventilated sweat comes in between 2.8 & 2.9 ounces!

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
"The Fepsa rabbit rivals Winchester beaver in hand and density. Stunning!"

They are close, but IMHO I would still give the edge to Winchester beaver when finely pounced. When comparing the 2 side by side in Mikes shop it still looked like the beaver was more dense and finer. Not by a wide margin though. Which makes me wonder how good would the Fepsa beaver be? I've never seen one.

fedoralover

I spoke to mike about FEPSA and he has a problem with supply. They won't sell direct to him and if they did their minimums are high. I looked on their website and they offer a 100% cashmere felt blank that intrigues me. Have not seen it offered by any of the bespoke hatters I have encountered.

"The Fepsa rabbit rivals Winchester beaver in hand and density. Stunning!"

They are close, but IMHO I would still give the edge to Winchester beaver when finely pounced. When comparing the 2 side by side in Mikes shop it still looked like the beaver was more dense and finer. Not by a wide margin though. Which makes me wonder how good would the Fepsa beaver be? I've never seen one.

fedoralover

I have a D'Aquino in FEPSA beaver and one in FEPSA bunny. While I can't speak to Winchester, the FEPSA beaver is softer and more dense than the bunny by a considerable margin. These hats aren't finished with the detail that a NW or other custom would be, though.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Anybody have a picture of a hat from Mike in the Pecan color? I decided to go with Beaver. I'm leaning heavily toward Pecan but I'd like to see a picture of that color in a more natural light setting. I think Mike told me that it was a brown with greyish undertones.

Anybody have a picture of a hat from Mike in the Pecan color? I decided to go with Beaver. I'm leaning heavily toward Pecan but I'd like to see a picture of that color in a more natural light setting. I think Mike told me that it was a brown with greyish undertones.

I have both a Granite and a Pecan from Mike. The Granite is Grey with distinct brown undertone. The Pecan is a nice warm brown and I love the colour. I have yet to figure out how to post a pic to show you but if you go to Northwest Hats facebook page Mike shows my hats. The colour on my monitor is pretty close to actual.

DJH

I'll Lock Up

TJ - here's my Pecan Tumwater (sorry I don't have a NW hat) in natural light. I'm not big on brown hats generally, but Mike is right, the colour does have warm grey tones.

e6ce25b576d768ffbba30a0800b9e3c3.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
TJ - here's my Pecan Tumwater (sorry I don't have a NW hat) in natural light. I'm not big on brown hats generally, but Mike is right, the colour does have warm grey tones.

e6ce25b576d768ffbba30a0800b9e3c3.jpg

Now that I have a more accurate look at it I think I want something a little darker. I looked at Mike's FB page but it's hard to get an accurate picture of the colors because of the indoor lighting. In one picture, the Pecan looked on the darker side with definite grey undertones, and in another the Pecan looked totally different. I have too many Siverbellies and brown tones.

Maybe something more like this....

Nutria_and_Black_Jacket_no_11.jpg

Anybody have pictures of the Granite Grey?

Now that I have a more accurate look at it I think I want something a little darker. I looked at Mike's FB page but it's hard to get an accurate picture of the colors because of the indoor lighting. In one picture, the Pecan looked on the darker side with definite grey undertones, and in another the Pecan looked totally different. I have too many Siverbellies and brown tones.

Maybe something more like this....

Nutria_and_Black_Jacket_no_11.jpg

Anybody have pictures of the Granite Grey?

I have not seen it in person but Mike has FEPSA rabbit bodies in a darker brown. I just pulled out my Pecan from Mike, I would describe it as a light to mid toned brown, NOT even a mid brown as it is definitely on the lighter side. And to my eye has slight greenish/olive undertones.
My Granite is a grey but in the sunlight has very strong brown undertones. So much so that I am hesitant to wear it with black or grey ensembles. It is a weird hybrid of grey with brown undertones or a case could be made it is brown with strong grey undertones.
My Pecan is many shades lighter than your pic just above.
I have actual swatches from Mike of his Whiskey, Dark Brown and Dark Grey. You may want to consider khis dark brown which is dark but not a 80% cocoa dark chocolate brown, if that makes any sense.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I have not seen it in person but Mike has FEPSA rabbit bodies in a darker brown. I just pulled out my Pecan from Mike, I would describe it as a light to mid toned brown, NOT even a mid brown as it is definitely on the lighter side. And to my eye has slight greenish/olive undertones.
My Granite is a grey but in the sunlight has very strong brown undertones. So much so that I am hesitant to wear it with black or grey ensembles. It is a weird hybrid of grey with brown undertones or a case could be made it is brown with strong grey undertones.
My Pecan is many shades lighter than your pic just above.
I have actual swatches from Mike of his Whiskey, Dark Brown and Dark Grey. You may want to consider khis dark brown which is dark but not a 80% cocoa dark chocolate brown, if that makes any sense.
Thanks, belfastboy. Can you post pictures of your Granite Grey, or anybody if they have a hat in that color. I'd like to get a good look at it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner