Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Northwest Hats, Eugene, Ore.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Theres also alot of images/info on the Northwest Hats Facebook page.
Yes -- that silverbelly Strat clone he has is neat, and I like the buffalo hide hatband on the Outback style hat from August 26. I have an inexpensive Bogart-style hat that Meyer the Hatter customized for me about 20 years ago with a leather belt and simulated buckle. The hat has seen a lot of wear and doesn't really fit me very well any more, but I love the style. Maybe Mike could take his "Whippet" and replace its ribbon with a leather band . . .?

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Yes -- that silverbelly Strat clone he has is neat, and I like the buffalo hide hatband on the Outback style hat from August 26. I have an inexpensive Bogart-style hat that Meyer the Hatter customized for me about 20 years ago with a leather belt and simulated buckle. The hat has seen a lot of wear and doesn't really fit me very well any more, but I love the style. Maybe Mike could take his "Whippet" and replace its ribbon with a leather band . . .?
Very possibly. Doesnt hurt to ask.

Took a look at NW's new website. I love the ones he calls the "Standard" and the "Whippet" -- I like those narrow (1" and 7/8") ribbons! How long is his queue now?

ETA: And the "Seabass" too.

Interesting. I'd think "Whippet" would be a Hat-Co/Stetson Trademark.

But then a trademark search yields this:

On Thursday, June 05, 1986, a U.S. federal trademark registration was filed for WHIPPETS by Keillor, Garrison, ST. PAUL 55101. The USPTO has given the WHIPPETS trademark serial number of 73602617. The current federal status of this trademark filing is ABANDONED-FAILURE TO RESPOND OR LATE RESPONSE. The correspondent listed for WHIPPETS is KAREEN R. ECKLUND of DOHERTY, RUMBLE & BUTLER, E-1500 FIRST NATIONAL BANK BUILDING, ST. PAUL, MINNESOTA 55101 . The WHIPPETS trademark is filed in the category of Clothing Products . The description provided to the USPTO for WHIPPETS is ARTICLES OF CLOTHING INCLUDING HEADGEAR.

Then there's this, which is what I expected to find. I guess you're cool if you leave out the "The?"

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Whipstitch brim treatment and re-flange of Guerra Brand "GQ" by Mike Miller.
f803c5cd36c06d6750fa50493366b322.jpg
a41de2e9801e106cc17d9968bf210ec2.jpg
2d90e061c138f7ac98335bd3c805f264.jpg
033c81a4b17a7f3daaea622e838f2002.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I've gotten in touch with Mike, and we're going with a pecan color rabbit-felt hat to be modeled on this:

Belted_Casablanca_04.jpg Belted_Casablanca_03.jpg

Except with a taller, straight crown at 5 3/4", and a 2 3/8" overwelt brim, and pounced to lighter weight with no liner so I can wear it a little more over the year. Open-crown, so I can shape it to fit my head. I may go teardrop like this hat, or cattleman's crease, or a diamond w/dome; don't know yet. We'll find out in January!

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I'm excited to see Mike tomorrow morning for my custom pecan. :)

I've also decided to have him replace a sweat in my Dobbs Temptation. It's a newer hat with a manmade material and coating on the sweatband that leaves smeared black flakes all over my forehead every time I wear it.

Last edited:
I'm excited to see Mike tomorrow morning for my custom pecan. :)

I've also decided to have him replace a sweat in my Dobbs Temptation. It's a newer hat with a manmade material and coating on the sweatband that leaves smeared black flakes all over my forehead every time I wear it.
Kind of like a cheap ring turning your finger green! Stay safe tomorrow. We are just going to hunker down and watch the wind blow.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
We ended up driving down yesterday afternoon. Got a hotel room, then went over to see Mike. His beautiful wife and daughters came in a little while later, so we got to see them again too.

First up is the old Stratton western I had Mike clean, reblock and crease more like an outback hat with a 3" raw brim. I was going to have Mike use the rodeo strings for a new hatband, but they didn't work out so we went with a real nice band made of buffalo hide that has great texture to it.

Now this hat was a beater I got just because the Stratton name is a name from my mother's side of the family. It was DIRTY. Someone had hacked on the brim at one point and it had been creased a couple different ways so there were wrinkles and creases where you don't want them. I was concerned that the old creases would show up even after reblocking. Worse yet, although it was marked 7-3/8, it was so tight it actually caused headaches if I wore it more than about 20 minutes. Even then, it would leave a red mark on my forehead...

Well, it's a NEW hat! No kidding. I LOVE it. I can't believe the transformation.

Before pics from ebay:

i-r3nh58J-L.jpg

i-6sRb9Bf-L.jpg

i-CRZ5WCd-L.jpg

And pics of my new hat (after the transformation):

i-cvkr9kt-L.jpg

i-BKstg5d-L.jpg

i-mh45TqQ-L.jpg

i-XBW4ZTd-L.jpg

This is where I most feared that the prior bash would still show up. My fear was unfounded:

i-9btktfg-L.jpg

The sweatband was replaced, but I had Mike keep the Stratton liner, just for the family name:

i-79WBMDT-L.jpg

The two spots in the above pic are rain drops. I wore this hat last night in Eugene when we went out for dinner. It got soaked. It was dry this morning and a gave it a quick brushing. The heavy western felt is awesome and Mike did a fantastic job. I left another hat with him to replace the liner. And this baby fits like a glove now, too.

The sweatband lays perfectly flat. Putting a "Like Hell It's Yours" card under the sweat is what causes a slight wrinkle you see in the picture.

I'll post more pics after we run to the grocery store. There's supposed to be an even bigger storm tonight with high winds again.

KY Crusader

A-List Customer
We ended up driving down yesterday afternoon. Got a hotel room, then went over to see Mike. His beautiful wife and daughters came in a little while later, so we got to see them again too.

First up is the old Stratton western I had Mike clean, reblock and crease more like an outback hat with a 3" raw brim. I was going to have Mike use the rodeo strings for a new hatband, but they didn't work out so we went with a real nice band made of buffalo hide that has great texture to it.

Now this hat was a beater I got just because the Stratton name is a name from my mother's side of the family. It was DIRTY. Someone had hacked on the brim at one point and it had been creased a couple different ways so there were wrinkles and creases where you don't want them. I was concerned that the old creases would show up even after reblocking. Worse yet, although it was marked 7-3/8, it was so tight it actually caused headaches if I wore it more than about 20 minutes. Even then, it would leave a red mark on my forehead...

Well, it's a NEW hat! No kidding. I LOVE it. I can't believe the transformation.

Before pics from ebay:

i-r3nh58J-L.jpg

i-6sRb9Bf-L.jpg

i-CRZ5WCd-L.jpg

And pics of my new hat (after the transformation):

i-cvkr9kt-L.jpg

i-BKstg5d-L.jpg

i-mh45TqQ-L.jpg

i-XBW4ZTd-L.jpg

This is where I most feared that the prior bash would still show up. My fear was unfounded:

i-9btktfg-L.jpg

The sweatband was replaced, but I had Mike keep the Stratton liner, just for the family name:

i-79WBMDT-L.jpg

The two spots in the above pic are rain drops. I wore this hat last night in Eugene when we went out for dinner. It got soaked. It was dry this morning and a gave it a quick brushing. The heavy western felt is awesome and Mike did a fantastic job. I left another hat with him to replace the liner. And this baby fits like a glove now, too.

The sweatband lays perfectly flat. Putting a "Like Hell It's Yours" card under the sweat is what causes a slight wrinkle you see in the picture.

I'll post more pics after we run to the grocery store. There's supposed to be an even bigger storm tonight with high winds again.
Hard to believe that it's the same hat. Mike is a virtual miracle worker. Okay...I may have to move to Oregon to have better access to the wonderful hat makers located there.

KY Crusader

A-List Customer
Selfie with the beautiful "early thirties" fedora I just got from Mike. I only wanted a center dent to start, but I may decide to add front or side dents later.

View attachment 58227

This my first custom hat - and my all-beaver-felt hat - and I'm very glad I decided to go with Northwest. The quality of Mike's work for the price is fantastic!
Looks terrific! What are the colors for the felt and ribbon?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner