Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nothing but Seamed Stockings

phyllis1753

New in Town
Cricket said:
Ladies, I need your help. I cannot find seam stockings anywhere in town, so I checked out some Web sites. Victoria's Secret had some but they were like $15. Should I just buckle down and buy them or what? I am new at purchasing these type of things, and there are no vintage shops in my area. [huh]

Cricket, go no farther than Corinth way up north there in Mississippi. There you'll find Magnolia Hosiery and they still make FF hosiery. They also do mail order through their website (http://www.magnoliahosiery.com). It will be about the same cost as VS but they're real stockings! Cheers!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Helysoune said:
I may have missed it in my skimming through this thread, and using the search function wasn't helpful. Has anyone been able to find plus-sized FF stockings? The only ones I've seen are regular sizes, and certainly won't fit my legs. I tried googling for it and was able to find a lovely high-waisted open bottom girdle that looked like it would do the job for me (at $48 was way out of my price range, though), but even that site only had modern stockings.

Post #459 and there in around. :)

LD

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Ok, ladies, I know where to buy stockings, but the places I've bought from take a long time to ship. I have no money until Aug 15 and need black stockings for a special occasion a week later. Which US merchants ship the fastest?

woweewow

New in Town
american apparel has some now, but they're tights and not stockings, and they don't have special heels, and they're like a million dollars. like 26 or something!!!! but they're cute and i wish they weren't so stupid expensive.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
kamikat said:
Ok, ladies, I know where to buy stockings, but the places I've bought from take a long time to ship. I have no money until Aug 15 and need black stockings for a special occasion a week later. Which US merchants ship the fastest?

Magnolia usually ships Priority the day the order is received -- I've never waited more than three days to receive a shipment from them.

Miss 1940's

Practically Family
steamed Stockings

I just got a Pair of vintage steamed stockings, I am really bad with stockings because somehow they always either Run or tear!
This morning I noticed that I have a tear at my ankle, It really maked me sad because these Stockings were a Gift!.How can I fix them?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Miss 1940's said:
I just got a Pair of vintage steamed stockings, I am really bad with stockings because somehow they always either Run or tear!
This morning I noticed that I have a tear at my ankle, It really maked me sad because these Stockings were a Gift!.How can I fix them?

It's possible to repair runs with very fine thread in a matching color, a very fine needle, a darning egg, and a lot of patience -- but usually only if the damage is quite small. If you haven't already done so, you should dab a bit of clear nail polish onto the damaged area to keep the run from spreading. Once it's gone up the leg, unfortunately, there isn't much you can do.

The repair will always be visible, but will give a bit more wear out of the stockings.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Miss 1940's said:

Read back in this thread for lots of tips for caring for your stockings and preventing runs and snags.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I got two pair of vintage seamed stockings on ebay. I am so exited because they are a nice dark brown color and they fit perfectly. Also they are the perfect length to wear with my girdles. I can't wait to have an occasion to wear them.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
How To Repair Stockings

From "Experiences in Homemaking," a high school home-ec textbook by Helen Latiem and Frances Miller, first published in 1941. I liberated this volume from my high school's discard pile long ago, and have found it a source of endless good information!

-------------------------------

Every girl should take the responsibility of caring for her own stockings. This can be done without a great expense of time if it is done regularly.

As has been said in connection with other care of stockings, they should be washed each day when taken off. Before putting away a clean pair of hose, inspect them to see if there is a worn spot, a dropped stitch, or a hole. Do not wear a stocking that needs repairing. Reinforcing a worn spot will prevent a hole. If you do not have time to mend it when you find the defect, put the stocking aside until the time comes for your weekly inspection.

A special kind of thread is used for darning -- it comes as darning cotton or darning silk. Both can be purchased in a wide range of colors. It is different from sewing thread in that it is a soft, loosely twisted thread made in several strands so it can be separated to any size needed. The needle used is a regular darning needle.

A hole in a stocking may be darned by following these directions:

1. Trim the frayed edges of the hole to make the outline of the hole smooth.

2. Slip the darning ball under the wrong side of the hole and hold the worn part of the stocking firmly over the hole -- but do not stretch the hole.

3. Use no more than two threads or strands of darning cotton or silk. A knot should not be used, as it will make a small bump in the stocking. The darn should be started as far away from the hole as the stocking shows signs of wear. The finished darn should be diamond shaped. A darn so shaped is stronger and more elastic than a square one. Mark the outline of the darn with tailor's chalk when you are learning to make a darn.

4. Begin darning at the right-hand corner of the marked diamond. Take a few stitches paralell to the wales or ridges of the stocking. Continue with rows of small stitches the distance of the wales apart. Increase the length of each row until the center of the hole has been reached. Now decrease the length of the rows, making the two sides of the darn alike. As you darn back and forth, leave a loop at the end of each row of stitches. This allows for shrinkage. In passing over the edge of the hole, alternate the stitches over and under each row. This keeps the edge of the hole flat.

5. Turn the darning ball so that the lower point of the diamond is at your right hand. Begin at what is now the right hand corner of the diamond. Work in a set of threads perpendicular to the first set. Weave them over and under the first set, placing them as close together as the others. Leave about 1/4 inch of thread at the end of the last stitch.

--------------------------------

These instructions are most effective on cotton, rayon, and mesh-knit ("runproof") nylon stockings. They also work on service-weight sheers, but are much more difficult on dress sheer stockings, unless the hole is in the welt or the reinforced part of the foot. Obviously, they aren't much good if the hole has become a run, but they may help save damaged stockings that haven't yet reached that stage.

A good source of real darning cotton/silk is any vintage-era sewing basket you come across. It'll be in a small box containing several tiny spools -- no housewife was without it.

Remember, Inspect Inspect Inspect before wearing!

Tamamiko

One of the Regulars
GingerDoll said:
I love the look of backseams, but can't stand the elephant-ankles that actual vintage stockings (which lack stretchiness) give me. I buy my modern back seam stockings online from Glamour Boutique. They specialize in products for transgender ladies, but they have excellent customer service and they carry modern stretch stockings in nude with a very nice sewn backseam at $4.95 a pair!

Oh, and one more thing.... avoid the stay-up, no garterbelt needed thigh-high stockings at all costs! This engineering nightmare inevitably results in an thigh bulge that no slip can fully conceal. Real stockings that fit well with a garterbelt properly positioned won't ever have this nasty effect.

Hope this helps!
Zoe

I'm so glad I came back to look at this thread. Does the Glamour Boutique have clothing too, or is it mostly stockings and whatnot?

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Can I make some reccomendations for UK girls, particularly plus sized gals like myself?

Gypsy make a nice seamed stocking for everyday wear, the length is great and the finish isn't shiny. They fit me well, I'm 5ft 8" and a UK size 18.

However, my friend is a UK size 8 and the same height and she loves them too.

Got a flyer this weekend at a show: Very helpful lady, with lots of plus sized options. I'd say more for fun wear than Living history, but good for dancing too.

www.vintagecollecting.co.uk

K

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
GingerDoll said:
I love the look of backseams, but can't stand the elephant-ankles that actual vintage stockings (which lack stretchiness) give me.

If you're getting saggy stocking ankles, your stockings are the wrong size.

Oh, and one more thing.... avoid the stay-up, no garterbelt needed thigh-high stockings at all costs! This engineering nightmare inevitably results in an thigh bulge that no slip can fully conceal.

Note that all thigh-high stay-ups aren't the same! If you buy cheap ones with a narrow band at the top, you will get the thigh-bulge. To avoid this, you need thigh-highs with a wide welt at the top. Many are also made with a slight flare to the welt, which helps prevent the bulge. One affordable brand I've found that works well with no bulge is Hanes Silk Reflections lace top, available at Macy's.

PS

A-List Customer
I purchased a pair of vintage stockings that are new deadstock and have just few tiny stains from the packaging. Any recommendations on how to remove them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24