Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nutrition and exercise!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I haven't read the book, but saw a bit of a programme recently where an obese UK housewife did a swap with a french housewife and showed the drastic difference in their lifestyles. It was amazing really, the french lady walked her kids to school, went to the local shops daily for fresh, local produce, cooked from scratch, refused to pander to her kids when they were fussy about food - if they whined about it they got nothing else. But they gotdessert if they finished all their veg.

The UK woman drove everwhere, did a weekly shop loaded with ready meals and junk, cooked nothing but pasta dishes and fed her family rubbish. I just wish people didn't think that was ok!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
That's right, LD! Now git to it!

Seriously, I have a pretty grueling workout that involves a 7.5 mph run at intervals with a 4.5 powerwalk, stairmaster, and elliptical. Even though it's not fun to go to the gym in tight pants when bloated, it really does make me feel less crampy and grumpy during my period!

Plus, I've lost a total of ten pounds since I started up again. And this is without dieting - imagine what results I would have if I did! :rolleyes: Although I should mention, I'm a vegetarian and watch what I eat every day, it's second nature to me. My mom was very health conscious while I was growing up and I learned from her.

Wow, my home work out is 6.5 mph run with a 4mph powerwalk HA! Ill catch up to you **muhahahaha** ;)

Im vegitarian as well. I found that gave me tons of energy when I work out. I also, after I have my workout, eat a delicious bowl of oatmeal! MMMMmmm!!! And I find after that, I dont crave any bread for the rest of the day! Yay!

LD

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh yeah, I knew you were veg! I forgot tho. I like the oatmeal idea too. I may steal that. When I started my interval training my walk was still 4.5 but the run was only 6.5, so I've been increasing it gradually as I feel more capable/less exhausted.

lindylady

A-List Customer
Fleur De Guerre said:
I haven't read the book, but saw a bit of a programme recently where an obese UK housewife did a swap with a french housewife and showed the drastic difference in their lifestyles. It was amazing really, the french lady walked her kids to school, went to the local shops daily for fresh, local produce, cooked from scratch, refused to pander to her kids when they were fussy about food - if they whined about it they got nothing else. But they gotdessert if they finished all their veg.

The UK woman drove everwhere, did a weekly shop loaded with ready meals and junk, cooked nothing but pasta dishes and fed her family rubbish. I just wish people didn't think that was ok!

We are much worse here in the US when it comes to food. And because we like to be on the go, working constantly and such, we don't think about proper food preparation and consumption. I had no idea how much planning goes into healthy food choices until I started adopting this lifestyle change. I'm told that it gets easier as you progress, but the first few weeks are tough!

Cherriexo

Familiar Face
lindylady said:
We are much worse here in the US when it comes to food. And because we like to be on the go, working constantly and such, we don't think about proper food preparation and consumption. I had no idea how much planning goes into healthy food choices until I started adopting this lifestyle change. I'm told that it gets easier as you progress, but the first few weeks are tough!

I just take a grocery bag of salad,veggies and salad dressing (vegan friendly) to work,and that's my lunch.That way I forceably get veggies in my diet.Im horrible about fruits and veggies.

I just upped my workout time to 60 mins,every other day.I just gotta find something to do in between the gym days.

Im loosing it in my chest,my arms,and my sides...right by my ribcage.You can totally feel the muscle forming.The tummy does not want to disappear.Yay for packing fat for the kids Ill never have!

lindylady

A-List Customer
That's a good idea. I always try to get my veggies in at dinnertime by starting with a salad.

Have you tried weight training on the in-between days, Cherriexo? Or yoga, perhaps?

My target area is my waist, where my body likes to store the majority of its excesses, shall we say. So far, I see it coming off in tiny increments. I'm a bit apple shaped now, but I can't begin to describe the elation I felt last week when I looked in the mirror and saw that I actually had hips. That means my waist is shrinking! Yay! lol

Cherriexo

Familiar Face
lindylady said:
That's a good idea. I always try to get my veggies in at dinnertime by starting with a salad.

Have you tried weight training on the in-between days, Cherriexo? Or yoga, perhaps?

My target area is my waist, where my body likes to store the majority of its excesses, shall we say. So far, I see it coming off in tiny increments. I'm a bit apple shaped now, but I can't begin to describe the elation I felt last week when I looked in the mirror and saw that I actually had hips. That means my waist is shrinking! Yay! lol

I mentioned in an earlier post Ive been in two car accidents in 2 years.One I totaled my car,and was on crutches for a month,and another (the recent one in Sept.) I was getting injections in my back,and on heavy meds.

They've now given me the "okay" to go to the gym but I cant do much weight training.

I def need to look into yoga.

I find just not buying junk food discourages everything.I snack on carrots instead.Hungry? Grab that apple with peanut butter.

I know how you feel about the hips.I weighed myself at work (I work for doctors) and was so excitied to see I lost 7 lbs.My back doctor recommended I loose 10lbs. to take stress off of my lower back.Getting close!

Does anyone follow their BMI (Body Mass Index) as a guide to loose weight?

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
Emmababy said:
is it really bad that i've never read this thread because i'm scared of it lol

Me too! I spent the evening last night, eating a whole pizza, trying not to open this thread.....the word 'diet' scares me, unless it has the word 'chocolate' in front of it.

Mojito

One Too Many
Congrats to the girls who have made such great lifestyle changes! And I absolutely agree with the anti-diet / pro-lifestyle change mindset. Diets are too linked with the concept of deprivation - if we're too rigid, we set up a deprivation sydrome and start to crave those 'forbidden' foods. A little of what you fancy does you good! But I won't eat blocks of inferior choco and gallons of cheap ice-cream - I'll have a few Lir truffles or a scoop of excellent gelato.

I made a 180 degree change to my life in the second half of my 20s. Started eating well and, while I'd always walked a lot and participated in sports like horseriding and scubadiving, I took my exercise more seriously and adopted a more holistic approach. The result was hilarious to my friends - the sloth who had to be dragged out of bed with grapplings hooks eventually got to the point where she'd be up at 6.00 am on the weekends to get a 10 - 15km run in before the day got started.

The body can take a lot of abuse when you're younger, but the years take their toll. I had close friends who were 10 years older than me, and I could see what was happening to them as their metabolisms slowed down and the aches and pains started. I might not be suffering from health problems now, but I did well into my teens. I'm never going back there, and if that entails keeping an eye on exercise and diet, that's what I'll do.

Still - unless you're training for an event, I think it's best to take exercise regularly rather than too seriously. And while I eat 'clean' 85% of the time, I thoroughly enjoy cocktails and roast duck the rest of the time!

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
I am so anti-diet, I just normally eat healthy, lots of fruits, veggies, lean meats, whole grains, and sometimes junk food.I eat ice cream, cookies, pizza but not every day and not globs and globs of it. I belive everything in moderation. I'm hypoglycemic, so I don't drink alcohol or eat a ton of sugar everyday. I don't excercise in a gym, but I really enjoy walking.

I have to be extra healthy now because I have been having a huge amount of stomach problems, which I am not exactly sure what anything is being caused by.

lindylady

A-List Customer
Cherriexo said:
Does anyone follow their BMI (Body Mass Index) as a guide to loose weight?

I don't put too much stock in BMI because it doesn't take into account your bone structure, overall frame, and muscle mass. I used to swim and run track, so I have some muscle that puts weight on the scale. According to BMI, Shaquille O'Neal, who is over 7 feet and about 300lbs, is obese :eek:

Mojito

One Too Many
BMI is useful primarily as a general guide to healthy weight perameters - but, as Lindylady points out, it is not the ultimate authority. In addition to factors such as muscle mass and bone structure, other things that can possibly skew the reading include ethnicity. Some Asian women, for example, can have a lower BMI and still not be 'underweight'. It's still useful as a broad guide as the range rather than one specific point does allow for some of these factors, but obviously in the case of, say, athletes it can be way off. On the flip side of the coin, just as some people can be fit and muscular and yet still fall into the BMI overweight or obese category, you can also have an unhealthily high body fat percentage, and yet still be within your BMI.

Body fat is the better measure, but it can sometimes be difficult to get an accurate measure.

If you're an average Western urbanite who isn't an athlete, BMI guidelines are usually fine. But if in doubt, I'd ask a physician for a Body Fat test. Other places like gyms do them as well.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Cherriexo, I've also heard that water aerobics was great for working out with injuries- and can give you a great work out in the meanwhile.
I hope your back starts feeling better, I've been in a car accident myself, and as you know, the whole process is definetely not fun

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
OK. I have been diligently riding my exercise bike, an hour to an hour and a half a day, cutting back on my chocolate intake, have not gained weight, infact lost a few pounds and now my hips are half an inch bigger ??????
I just can't win, oh what am I doing wrong

pretty faythe

One Too Many
goldwyn girl said:
OK. I have been diligently riding my exercise bike, an hour to an hour and a half a day, cutting back on my chocolate intake, have not gained weight, infact lost a few pounds and now my hips are half an inch bigger ??????
I just can't win, oh what am I doing wrong

Your building muscles!! One of the annoying things about getting in shape, your body shapes yo, the fat goes down but the dratted muscles build up. Just remember its a good thing....And on that note, off to the gym.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
goldwyn girl said:
Thanks Faythe, I was afraid of that, I really don't need to be bigger anywhere, perhaps the fat will come off and the muscle will be smaller with out it, here's hoping

When you're on a bike you're working your lower body muscles only - you might consider adding some running and elliptical to your workout to vary...but keep it up! Muscle is good, it helps you burn more calories.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
ladies, i have fallen OFF the wagon. i've been eating horribly, not exercising, etc.

i'm blaming it on my upcoming period, the weather, and the tattoo i got on my calf last weekend, which HURTS and thus is preventing me from exercising or cooking a proper meal for myself. [huh]

:) but hooray for everyone who's been following their exercise regimens! :)

Cherriexo

Familiar Face
Just went to the doctor's today for my full physical.

Lost 2 lbs in two weeks since I was there last...saweet.

Ill know probably by the end of the week how my liver,thyroid,and a slew of other things are doing.Im totally scared to hear the results.:confused:

Oh and I need more calcium so looks like I can start eating Tums or they gave me a whole info sheet on how to eat 1000mg/day of calcium.

Oh joy!:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80