Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nutty Neighbors

Connery

One Too Many
I used to work across from a "Barney" Store(it was prominently featured) and hear the theme all-the-time. I could not take the purple creep or his music anymore. It was maddening. I later found out, "the Guardian newspaper in London called this sugary lump of fear inducing madness the most "overused" song in the U.S. interrogator's arsenal. Interrogators at Guantanamo Bay, however, used the sappy kids' show theme song as "futility music" to convince detainees of the futility of maintaining their silence". I became a nutty neighbor.

[video=youtube;dsKO_r76kfQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsKO_r76kfQ[/video]

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I don't know Rue, I think they probably play Julio at Guantanamo Bay. It's a torture hearing the same song for hours on end. Trust me.
I once had a symphony conductor and his opera singer wife living across the hall in an apartment building. He was also a renowned pianist and she sang like an angle. They exercised their gifts ad nauseum and within six months it was like nails on a chalkboard. People would visit me and rave about how lucky I was.........as I was staring at the razor blades.......

There's places for all kinds of people. My dad does land-development, but has put the project on the back-burner with the real-estate market the way it is. Our current sub-division had certain rules that only apply to people that live in that area. They are made known before you buy a lot. No trailer houses, no RV's, houses must have a porch or gables to keep them from looking like trailers. Yards must be maintained, as well. I don't think those are rules, which are out of line and the bank actually asked us to put them in, to keep the riff raff out.

Baron, you've jumped the gun. I'm not for local ordinance. If someone wants to paint their house lavender with pink polka dots, that's fine with me. If they want to tear it down and build a house 3 times the size of the original, that's great. But, if the guys a pig, then hey he's got a right to be a pig, but I can criticize the swine just as well.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I met a guy at happy hour years ago, a developer who lived in a high end development that wasn't HIS. His home owners association sued him for not having "planted the required number of evergreen bushes in his yard". Apparently there was an evergreen per square foot scale of some sort. He discussed things with his company lawyer and ordered more than the required number of evergreens from the forestry service (you know, six inch tall bare root jobs) and planted than in rusted one gallon paint cans placed along his driveway. He took a nice bunch of pictures and took them to the homeowner's meeting. As the plants died (he didn't water them) he tossed them in the trash and went on with life.

I should note that his yard was landscaped extensive and expensively, he just hated evergreens...

Loved it, I currently live two developments away.

TidiousTed

Practically Family
Before I moved to the farm I used to live in a very posh part of Oslo and all the flats had a veranda towards a large enclosed backyard and one of the old ladies who lived in one of the top flats would call the others living there if their veranda wasn’t completely spick and span. I used to sit out there smoking in the summer evenings and she would even complain if I didn’t empty my ashtray often enough. We used to call her the veranda nazi

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to it. The place is up for sale and then it's back to Mom and Dad's until I have scraped enough money together to buy a house. As you know, I have A LOT of stuff I have to go somewhere with!

I've got my eye on a great ranch house in an excellent neighborhood. I know the people that owned it, they got divorced, house went into foreclosure and I can pick it up for cheap, so I just need to come up with a few thousand dollars for a down-payment.

Yeah I know, but you'll find something great eventually :)

rue

I've got my eye on a great ranch house in an excellent neighborhood. I know the people that owned it, they got divorced, house went into foreclosure and I can pick it up for cheap, so I just need to come up with a few thousand dollars for a down-payment.

Sounds great although it's too bad for those people..... You're gonna have to stop thrifting every weekend and save those pennies ;)

Do you think before you post??? How can a corner lot have very little yard??? What do you think the side yard is???? The yard's on a corner house are large; you have the yard that's on front of the house and yard that's on the side of the house. So are you trying to say that the side yard is non-existent???

Yes. The corner lots on the regular lots are small.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff