Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Edward

Bartender
Reminds me of a running joke I can remember with my grandmother as far back as.... well, as far back as I can remember, to the end of her life. Any gift would be presented with the comment "that's not out of Woolworth's, you know". It's been carried on since she died in 2005, even after the store disappeared. I don't even know the origin (I think it *might* have been something my dad or aunt said as a kid, in all seriousness - I must ask them), but it was a standard, the joke being, essentially, "I spent real money on that!".

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Pete:
"I had TWO WEEKS left on my sentence!"
"They ADDED fifty YEARS to my sentence! I won't get out till, 19.... 87! I'll be 84 years old!"

Delmar:
"Well I guess they'll add fifty years to my sentence too. But hey, I'll only be 82!"

Haversack

One Too Many
Being a fan of the works of writer/director Preston Sturges, I really enjoyed the Coen Bros. OBWAT, (book by Sinclair Beckstein). It was a little awkward watching it in the theatre for the first time. I found myself laughing at odd moments at all of the visual quotes from Sturges' Sullivan's Travels.

DNO

One Too Many
That's it...I'm digging my copy out of my basement and popping it into the DVD player. Suffering from O Brother withdrawal.

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
The other day we were eating a pot roast and one of my little monsters said, "It must be some kind of congregation... Care for some gopher?" Excellent!

conrad5157

One of the Regulars
What's interesting is there were performers in Country and Western music from the '30's thru the '50's with no more unusual names than the "Soggy Bottom Boys". Names like "The Trough Sloppers", "The Fruit Jar Drinkers", "Roy Acuff and his Crazy Tenneseeans"," Arky the Arkansas Wood Chopper", and the list goes on.

And my all time favorite "The Skillet Lickers".

Last edited:

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
Hold it right cha'r!

You men from the bank?

You Wash's boy?

Yes sir! Papa told me I could shoot whose ever from the bank!

Well we ain't from the bank young fella...

Yes sir! Papa told me I could als'a shoot anyone serving papers!

Well we ain't got no papers neither....

I nicked a census man!

Now there's a good boy... ahm...is your daddy around?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB