Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Observing those who have 'it'

Lear

One of the Regulars
About a week ago, I found myself in the Delta line at London Gatwick Airport. It was 7.00am, eyes were drooping, and any thoughts of sartorial awareness couldn't have been further from my mind. Then I noticed a bloke, he was dressed in a cream linen suit and brown suede shoes. The open-necked, light blue shirt, was topped off with a dark blue pocket square. He literally stood out like a beacon in Terminal 4.

I scanned the gigantic hall for his equivalent, but couldn't find a single person who wasn't dressed, like myself, as a slob. This was not judgement on my part, just an observation at how this bloke literally owned that hall. Of course, my immediate thought was that maybe I'd ingested too much FL and SF opinion. But here's the weird thing: it wasn't just me that noticed it. I observed plenty of women, ever so furtively eyeing him up. It was fascinating to watch the affect he was having on other passengers. One lady, who was with her husband, kept looking over and around him to get a better look. The husband had no idea what she was looking at, and probably though she was checking flight times. Then there were a couple of older ladies, who silently pointed and nodded approvingly. The fact is: many folk (men and women) in that terminal were very much aware of one lone individual, not making a display, but going about his daily business.

As I said, I'm not judging anybody here (have you seen my avatar?), just noticing how some people have 'it'.

Lear (the ugly one)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Great observation. Flying, you see such a variety. Mainly jeans, even some pajamas-like things. Rarely someone dressed well. I don't count the business drones in bad suits ad cookie cutter haircuts.

I had a similar experience. A guy was wearing very well kept jeans, a super white shirt, a navy blazer, white sneakers and a white trucker cap. The description doesn't do much, but it was all put together flawlessly and he drew approving looks from most of the people around him, including me.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Scotrace, you've just hit the nail on the head by distinguishing between "business drones in bad suits and cookie cutter haircuts" versus what we sartoriallyt admire.

I just took a trip from SF to NY. I wore a vintage suit on tne plane because it is thick, hard to wrinkle, and travels well. Got some looks.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Doran said:
Scotrace, you've just hit the nail on the head by distinguishing between "business drones in bad suits and cookie cutter haircuts" versus what we sartoriallyt admire.

I just took a trip from SF to NY. I wore a vintage suit on tne plane because it is thick, hard to wrinkle, and travels well. Got some looks.

You inspire me, Tim.:eusa_clap On a recent flight to Sao Paulo, I was sorely tempted to travel in suit, but the length of the flight (as well as my meteorological expectations of early-Autumn, southern Brazil), prevented me from doing so. The only times I have flown in a suit was years ago when I wore my Army uniform, and that definitely did attract attention, albeit not subtly...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles