Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OH MY GOODNESS... Did I hit the jackpot!

J.B.Saxon

Familiar Face
Absolutely perfect items, not only historic - family historic! :eusa_clap

I really know how you must feel, because some weeks ago my mother also gave me papers and photographs like that - they belonged to my father. Her was born in 1926, survived the war and died too early over 20 years ago. You must have been as happy as I was, receiving these memories.

katiemakeup

Practically Family
What a great find! You must be so excited... It's neat how you guys are moving to San Diego and it looks like your Grandfather was stationed there... Good luck with your move!

Julius Xavier

One of the Regulars

My upstairs neighbor had a record player but it was one that belonged to an old stereo he had and he lit me use it... excitedly I attempted my hardest to hook it up too my modern stereos... no go. I just have to wait until I get to San Diego and go looking for an old record player in some of the vintage shops. We'll see. I will keep everyone updated and if your coming to the QM I will have alot of this stuff along with me.

-DocIndyJones

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Twitch said:
What neat bunch of stuff! Makes me wonder if relatively any of our descendants will be interested in out junk when it's 60-70 years old.:fedora:

Scary thought..."My grandfather had a Kangol hat like that one on Ebay that someone snapped up for $475,000 today, but he must've been senile when he told me it's supposed to be worn bill to the back! He also said he had a car that ran on something called gasoline..."

Lena_Horne

One of the Regulars
Maj.Nick Danger said:
I wish my family members had the foresight to have saved momentos like those. The Voicograph is especially intrigueing, I bet you're dying to hear what's on it!

I agree. My parents' generation isn't very willing to hold on to anything. My great-aunt had a suitcase chock full of photographs and I haven't seen them as the only time I could have my mother forbid me (although I agree it was bad timing.)

A very jealous congratulations,

L_H

wackyvorlon

One of the Regulars
DocIndyJones said:
Letters Grandpa sent to his Mother. All envelope artwork done by him.

Piles of Love Letters to and from my Grandma.
146889447.jpg

The note on the top of the pile - could you type the whole thing out? All I can make out is mention of sympathy, "On presentation of five of these chits, we will issue one crying towel from our crying towel locker."

Do you know to what matter it relates?

Julius Xavier

One of the Regulars

It says:

Sympathy Chit

Your problem touches our hearts deeply.
We are overwhelmed with grief.
This small card is but an expression of our sincere sympathy
On presention of five of these chits, we will issue one crying
towel from our crying towel locker.

My grandfather (who was a Chief) use to hand these out to the sailors he was training on board his ship when they would come to him with some snot nose winey complaint... basically his way of saying suck it up and stop acting like a sally.

He was a tough guy to be sure. But he'll always be grandpa to me.

-DocIndyJones

cadence

New in Town
Wow!!

Your Grandfather seemed like a very intriguing man, and your grandmother was just so adorable on her wedding day!! I still have a few things of my great grandmothers, when i get a camera, I will have to post those too!!

VintageJess

One of the Regulars
Cadence, thanks for the bump, as I'm not sure how I missed this before!

Mr. DocIndy,

What a fantastic collection, and so wonderful that it is in the hands of someone who will truly treasure and appreciate it for all time.
I particularly loved the notes on the back of the menu--brought a little lump to my throat!! :cry:

Thanks for sharing with us!

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Just amazing! Isn't it wonderful to find photos of family.

My grandmother wasn't a good keeper of things, so many of our family photos don't have names on the back. Still bums me out to this day. Also my grandmother died unexpectedly, so many of the photos were left in my brother's basement which was flooded one year, so we lost so many pieces of that history. A real bummer indeed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy