Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ok Ladies of the Lounge, I need your opinions in here.

CharlesB

Suspended
Okay me n the lil woman have our big first valentines coming up. She's flying from philly to london just to be wiht me on it. She also has a history of romantic disappointment on this day. I need to knock it out of the park.

Ive already gotten her a ton of tea, history books and a killer handbag. essentially three of her fav things in teh world. That being said we are going to be in london all day so she thinks itll be a turning in early nite when we arrive in Canterbury.

My one housemate makes food like a chef with a 3 star michellin rating so I've asked her to cook up a large vegetarian/salmon dinner for us (my gf is a veggie). She said she would.

The gf also loves cheese so Im thinking of going to this wine and cheese shop in town and getting a few bottles of her favorite wine and an assorted collection of quite pricey top shelf cheeses and crackers that she loves as well as her fav dessert.

This way I can call my house mate and have everything on the table for when she walks in the door. Essentially synchronize the whole thing so its waiting there fresh and hot for her.

Does this sound like a bang up plan?

Josephine

One Too Many
CharlesB said:
I need to knock it out of the park.

I might just be really frugal (cheap), low maintenance (pushover), and easy to please (low expectations), but that's a lot of stuff! I know you said she had been disappointed before, but even so, this is a lot of stuff! Even just a third of all that would make me happy. What will you do next year?

Then again, maybe I've also been disappointed for all these years, and just never knew it... :/

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I think you've covered all the bases here--a nice gift (or in your case, gifts), lots of time alone with you and a special dinner. The only other thing I thought of is a card. Something handwritten she can look at over the years would be the icing on the cake.

I'm sure she'll appreciate the fact that you realized she's had lousy Valentine's in the past and you're going the extra mile to make this one special.

After the big day update us on how it all went, won't you?

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sounds wonderful!

I'd suggest you intersperse the gifts over the course of the evening. One on her plate when she arrives at dinner, one with dessert, and the other, whenever it feels right? This way, you can spread out the thoughtfulness and surprises throughout the evening.

Perhaps candles during dinner and a welcome poster when she arrives? Not a card, but fun nonetheless.

Ask Art and Paddy what they think of welcome posters - they loved it when they visited my home and I had a welcome poster up and waiting for them, along with some hats. :)

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
So, I'm assuming that you two are in long-distance? If so, remember that the best thing in that situation is unfettered, uncluttered TIME...even if it's the silliest thing EVER. Not that you'd shirk that, just remember that for all of the gifts in the world, she'd most love to have YOU and conversation and connection. Although the goody bag sure won't hurt. ;)

Just speaking from experience. This year will be the first v-day we've had together in the same place and I can't wait for the joy of doing nothing big and just...being together.

CharlesB

Suspended
thebadmamajama said:
So, I'm assuming that you two are in long-distance? If so, remember that the best thing in that situation is unfettered, uncluttered TIME...even if it's the silliest thing EVER. Not that you'd shirk that, just remember that for all of the gifts in the world, she'd most love to have YOU and conversation and connection. Although the goody bag sure won't hurt. ;)

Just speaking from experience. This year will be the first v-day we've had together in the same place and I can't wait for the joy of doing nothing big and just...being together.
I agree wholly. She told me she got me something and I said having her here was more tha enough

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
It sounds like a lovely, well thought out plan Charles, I think you'll both love it, I hope you have a great time while she's visiting:)

MissHannah

One Too Many
I think you've ticked lots of very good boxes!

I agree with thebadmamajama too though - sometimes me and my boy get so caught up with planning all the great stuff we want to do when we are actually together that we forget to just *be*. I'm a big fan of slow walks along rivers for romance - lots of time for talking and holding hands and sneaky snogs.

Secret notes are a killer too - slip little notes into pockets, books, purses etc that she will find at a later date. It is the sweetest feeling when you receive those believe me.

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
You Remembered the Most Important Romantic Part

...You gave it a lot of thought. To me that is the best when someone thinks about what would make me happy and remembers the little things that mean a lot to me. It shows that you spend a lot of time thinking about her and shows that what matters to her, matters to you. Romantic gestures go so much further than gifts, and you've got both!!!

Bravo!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
MissHannah said:
- lots of time for talking and holding hands and sneaky snogs.

Secret notes are a killer too - slip little notes into pockets, books, purses etc that she will find at a later date. It is the sweetest feeling when you receive those believe me.

Secret notes (sigh!).

And I'm going to try and work the term 'sneaky snogs' into my conversation today--great phrase.

ShortClara

One Too Many
It all sounds lovely! And please, get a little gift for your roomie who is spending her Valentine's cooking and such for you :)

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Yes, God bless your roomie.

I think it sounds like you will knock it out of the park. The only thing I would consider adding is something written. If she doesn't go in for cards, what about a simple love letter or note? I'm not that "into" cards either, but I still treasure the love notes my hubby has given to me. It needn't be long or elaborate if that isn't your style. Just a little something on nice paper telling her how you feel. But that's just my 2 cents. ;)

Good luck. It sounds like you have it well in hand.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
I think what you have planned is lovely, but I'd like to caution about going overboard on your first Valentine's Day together. You don't want to set the bar impossibly high for future years, and let her down when it doesn't measure up to the first. Let the thoughtful gifts, dinner, and time with you to just BE TOGETHER be the presents to her.

I wholeheartedly agree with the notes idea. The Mister sometimes sticks Post-its around our apartment for me to find with little messages like "snuggles with you are the best", and other lovey stuff. It warms my heart to read what he's written, but even moreso that he's thinking ahead about ways to make me happy. Bonus points for him. (And I, too, have a box of letters he wrote to me when he was working on a fishing boat up in Alaska....)

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sweet notes!

Definitely an important item! I have every note my husband ever wrote me, and there were a lot of them!
There is only one thing missing - flowers!
They don't have to be the obiquitous (and very expensive that day) red roses, in fact it is much better if they are instead the flower she loves most - and one perfect one is much better than a bunch of so-so ones.
Nice choices - a single gardenia, an orchid, a bunch of violets (hard to find but you can't go much further in the direction of vintage).
And if it was me, I would be saying - where's the chocolate? But I don't know, maybe she hates the stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic