Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old fashioned names new again....

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Using a last name for a first name seem more of a Southern thing to me, along with using a first and last name as a first and middle name, usually to honor a friend or an admired person. Martin Luther King is one example.

In Hawaii, it was a trend for a while to give a child a traditionally American first name and a Hawai`ian middle name. I knew two brothers back in high school who were named Wade Ka`anoi and Wayne Keala Young.

Whatever you name your child, for goodness sake think how he/she has to deal with it on the playground. :eusa_doh: :eek: I can think of a few names I would be hesitant to use like:
Cornelius
Tiberius
Nero
Chito
Aloe
Alvina
Damien
Manson
Adolph
and a few other that you can get the idea about. My friend just named his daughter Zsofia. [huh]

Regards,

J

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Very good point James! That was something me and the mister were very careful to think about...'is this something the kids at school will have a heyday with?' of course kids can be cruel anyways, and there's an unlimited amount of things a kid can be picked on...but a weird name DOES NOT help!
Rosie, my family is famous for giving nicknames as well. You know you're loved when you get a nick name..though you may not like it! :D
I've always loved Grant as a boys name...very masculine.
My grandmother's name is Gertrude...will not name any of my girls that!

KAT

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:
Whatever you name your child, for goodness sake think how he/she has to deal with it on the playground. :eusa_doh: :eek: I can think of a few names I would be hesitant to use like:
Cornelius
Tiberius
Nero
Chito
Aloe
Alvina
Damien
Manson
Adolph
and a few other that you can get the idea about. My friend just named his daughter Zsofia. [huh]

Regards,

J

whats wrong with Adolf? lol

Irena

One of the Regulars
Griemersma said:
My wife's mother and grandmother are both Dorothy's. Personally, I realy like that name. Unfortunately, my mother-in-law hated being named Dorothy and made us vow to never name a child after her.

So... name a daughter Theodora or a son Theodore... same name, just shuffled around. My first son will be named Theodore, after my grandfather.

mysterygal said:
Very good point James! That was something me and the mister were very careful to think about...'is this something the kids at school will have a heyday with?' of course kids can be cruel anyways, and there's an unlimited amount of things a kid can be picked on...but a weird name DOES NOT help!
Rosie, my family is famous for giving nicknames as well. You know you're loved when you get a nick name..though you may not like it! :D
I've always loved Grant as a boys name...very masculine.
My grandmother's name is Gertrude...will not name any of my girls that!

Nicknames? You mean like Chicken Bone? :D
I put a lot of thought into it too. I figured Daniel wasn't way out there. He can shorten it to Dan and make it even more masculine if he likes. [huh] That is what my father used to do.

Regards,

J

KAT

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:
I suppose it does depend on where you live. :eusa_doh: As a conolation, my great aunty was named Alvina---not likely I would ever use it.
A few more names I thought of:
Judas
Ahab
Lucifer
Stymie
lol

Regards,

J

lol lol i know...truelol

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Exactly.

Tony in Tarzana said:
With all the goofball kids names nowadays, do they even get teased any more? Or do kids named Mary and Robert get teased instead?

That's why I will name my kids, (if any) Alfalfa and Elvira, or maybe Shemp and Ophelia. Still undecided. [huh]

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Wow Tony! I just realized.

Tony in Tarzana said:
How about Moses, Lawrence, Jerome or Samuel? ;)

Has anybody ever told you that you bear an uncanny resemblance to the actor Victor Buono? :eek:fftopic: lol

200px-Vbuono.jpg

(Samuel Moses Lawrence has a nice ring to it.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats