Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old fashioned names new again....

Miss_Bella_Hell said:
But I've come across completely ridiculous names too, like "Tommy Thompson" "Richard Dick" and "Harold Stankard". I mean, whattaya gonna do about Stankard as a last name, but the other two? Their parents ought to be slapped.

Hahahahha! I think the Richard is a little superfluous there. I can still beat that though.
Normally Jack would be a nice manly first name but I felt sorry for the guy. His last name was Hoff. :D I am not kidding either. Those parents need to be thrown in jail not just declared incompetent. :eek:

Regards,

J

artdecodame

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
And this is why I think we need to declare some people legally incompetent to name a child. That rates up there with people who name their kid Willy although I went to school with one so named...

Exactly! My father once knew a person named Darwin Bible. What his parents were thinking I don't know! lol

HistWardrobe

Vendor
What were their parents thinking?

When I lived in England, I knew a fellow named Wayne Kerr. Rather funny when you say it out loud. And he was one too.

In my days in the Young Republicans, I knew a guy, Chris S. White whose full given name was actually name was Christian Strait White. Which pretty much described him.

In the Northern Virginia suburbs there's a gynecologist named Harry Beaver. I s*** you not. Did his name influence his choice of profession? Ew.

As a pre-teen growing up in Hawaii, my best friend and I would kill time on rainy days by reading the phone book to pick out the funny names and have a giggle. I remember a guy named Chuck Roast and a Japanese chap named Igata Takashita. The proper Japanese pronounciation is actually InGATa TaKASH-ta, but not every non-Japanese person knows this. Pronounced with a stage Italian accent, a'la Chico Marx, it's pretty humorous. Poor fellow!

jamespowers said:
Charmaine [is] among the names teachers say they associate with problem children ...

"According to the website, names which get a negative response from teacher include ... ordinary names with unusual spellings such as Kloe or K'tee, Kristopher, ... Gyaike and Chevaughn, plus the various spellings of Jordon."
Names usually tagged to African-Americans of lower socioeconomic status. Are the teachers really judging the names ... or the race/class associated with them?

jamespowers said:
"Names which teachers associate with delightful children include Kate, Gregory, Sean, Charlotte, Jamie, Daniel, Lucy, Isobel, Ben, Sam, Harpreet, Imran, Asam, Alice and Joseph."
Names more commonly found among white Americans (and Blacks and other minorities) of higher socioeconomic status ... and among so-called "academics-oriented" immigrants from India or Pakistan. Teachers, like all of us, pre-judge.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Veronica Parra said:
Names usually tagged to African-Americans of lower socioeconomic status. Are the teachers really judging the names ... or the race/class associated with them?

Names more commonly found among white Americans (and Blacks and other minorities) of higher socioeconomic status ... and among so-called "academics-oriented" immigrants from India or Pakistan. Teachers, like all of us, pre-judge.

I don't know if "Gjaike" "Chevaughn" or "Kristopher" are associated with African Americans...they're just variations on Jake, Siobhan, and Christopher, very WASPy. Jordan is a pretty white-bread name too.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Those names arnt associated with black people.

Veronica Parra said:

What a lot of familes in my area did was mane up names using paticular sounds of names they liked and putting them togeter. "Quanisha", "Lavonta", "Lamontay" stuff like that. I went to school with a lot of kids whos parents were tired of "ordinary" names and wanted to do something special and created a bit of history in their own family.

That sentiment is kinda gone now and its just anything that sounds good, no matter how its spelled. This is a somewhat unbiased article, but it makes a few good points on it.

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=632575

LD

skinnychik

One of the Regulars
It's funny that you would bring up that teaching thing. My fiance and I are both teachers, and we have discussed how difficult it would be to name a child of our own because, between the two of us, there are few names we can't associate with an ill-behaved child from our past. We do like old-fashioned names, since they are less likely to turn up on our rosters.

It is strange though, speaking of judging students by their names, that I have a negative reaction when I meet a little girl with MY name. I have met very few sweet Kristins, and I guess I could include myself in that generalization; I wouldn't want a mini-me in my class.

My favorite name to see on a roster: Shithead, pronounced Shi-thee-ad. I looked at the name on the first day, paused, and read the last name slowly, "Taylor..." and waited for the student to chime in with her first name.

My fiance had "GreatOne" in his class; he called him Mr. Jackson.

skinnychik said:
My favorite name to see on a roster: Shithead, pronounced Shi-thee-ad. I looked at the name on the first day, paused, and read the last name slowly, "Taylor..." and waited for the student to chime in with her first name.

My fiance had "GreatOne" in his class; he called him Mr. Jackson.

Two more cases where where the parents need to be declared legally incompetent to name a child. The first couple needs to be thrown in jail for that one. Can you imagine trying to get a job or being taken seriously in a high position? I guess it sure makes a nickname important or a middle name. :rolleyes:

Regards,

J

Rosie

One Too Many
A fellow teacher had twins in her class Male (pronouned Molly a boy) and Female (pronounced Femolly a girl). We joked whether their parents were just that unoriginal or if they had bothered to name their children at all (when a baby is born and a nme isn't given right away, he or she is named Male/Female Stephens or whatever your last name may be).

When I was a teenager, I knew a girl named Vagina (pronounced Vageena, like Regina) I always wondered what was up with her parents.

Veronica Parra said:

Those names aren't associated with Black folk.

My first name is considered ethnic and people do judge me based on my name. I've noticed if I send in a resume with my first name, I don't get many responses. Professionally, I use my middle name (S. Ida) and when this is posted on a resume, I get MANY, MANY, MANY more responses. It's sad but true. That is one of the main reasons I will name my children (if I have any) good old fashioned names, I don't want them to miss out on opportunities because of a misconception someone will get of them based solely on their name.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I don't know if "Gjaike" "Chevaughn" or "Kristopher" are associated with African Americans...they're just variations on Jake, Siobhan, and Christopher, very WASPy. Jordan is a pretty white-bread name too.

I would agree on Gjaike or Kristopher, but from a purely anecdotal base, I must say I've never met a girl named Siobhan (by that spelling or any other) who wasn't black. Like guys named Ishmael, or Malik, it just happens to be a name I don't see getting representation in the white community.

I'm a Jordanna myself, and that name is a) weird! lol and b) picked out for ethnic pride reasons by my folks. I know I was saying something about naming sons Hank, or Harrison and my brother snapped, "Those are the whitest names ever! Why not Hillel and Hezekiah?!"

It's definitely old-school, but I don't know if I could hang Hezekiah on a kid, even if I could call him Zeke. :D

Viola

Call Me a Cab
That's kind of cool.

I was looking for H-names because all my grandfathers (I consider myself to have had three) were H-names and in my family you keep the Hebrew name and English first initial. Sorry if that's :eek:fftopic:

Rosie

One Too Many
Viola said:
That's kind of cool.

I was looking for H-names because all my grandfathers (I consider myself to have had three) were H-names and in my family you keep the Hebrew name and English first initial. Sorry if that's :eek:fftopic:

That's interesting. What do you mean? The first name of your son would be a Hebrew name but, it would start with the letter H? (sorry, I'm totally ignorant to this).

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Rosie said:
That's interesting. What do you mean? The first name of your son would be a Hebrew name but, it would start with the letter H? (sorry, I'm totally ignorant to this).

Sorry, that post was kinda fuzzy. I meant, religiously, the kid has a Hebrew name, for use in religious services. All Jewish kids do, even the ones who are named "Jenifyr Simmantha Pippi Longstocking Smith" on their birth certificates. Kind of like a baptismal name, I think.

The religious name would match my grandfathers' exactly, since I want to honor them. But for their English name, the tradition in my family is to just match the initial. So his religious name would be Hunna, just like Grandpop's, but instead of the English name Harvey, it could be any H-name I felt like. It still honors him.

Whether that is a name like Hank or Happy-Happy Heineken is up to me. lol

If I bored everyone in the room to tears, I apologize.

Rosie

One Too Many
Okay, understood. Kind of like my mom and her sisters I guess, they have a biblical name which isn't on their birth certificates at all. Used for when then were baptized, confirmations, etc.

Viola said:
"Jenifyr Simmantha Pippi Longstocking Smith"

Happy-Happy Heineken

lol that's funny

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Etienne said:
Just read this post... and hey, Lincsong, I know a guy named Anacleto!

Son of a gun! :eek: You don't say. :eusa_doh: That would be the fourth person I've heard of who had that name. First was my grandpa, second was a guy who was picked on The Price is Right, Bob Barker was looking for a woman and a man ran up.lol and the third was someone I met handing out fliers.:D

Grandpa went by "Cleto" or "Clet"

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
A name I have no desire to place on a son is; Manuel. There were so many Manuels in my town when I grew up I don't want to name a kid that. It was such a popular ethnic name that when a Portuguese version of "When Harry met Sally" was made it was called; "When Mary met Manuel"lol lol lol

Boys should be given strong names that will build character and be built like a brick smokehouse. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav