Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old fashioned names new again....

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
skinnychik said:
My favorite name to see on a roster: Shithead, pronounced Shi-thee-ad. I looked at the name on the first day, paused, and read the last name slowly, "Taylor..." and waited for the student to chime in with her first name.

I always thought that was an urban legend! :eek:

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Viola said:
I would agree on Gjaike or Kristopher, but from a purely anecdotal base, I must say I've never met a girl named Siobhan (by that spelling or any other) who wasn't black. Like guys named Ishmael, or Malik, it just happens to be a name I don't see getting representation in the white community.

I'm a Jordanna myself, and that name is a) weird! lol and b) picked out for ethnic pride reasons by my folks. I know I was saying something about naming sons Hank, or Harrison and my brother snapped, "Those are the whitest names ever! Why not Hillel and Hezekiah?!"

It's definitely old-school, but I don't know if I could hang Hezekiah on a kid, even if I could call him Zeke. :D

One of my cousins is called Jordanna!

Anyway I grew up in the "Irish Riveira" - a town between Boston and the Cape that had literally 4 pages of Sullivans, O'Briens, McCormicks in the phone book. You get the idea. To me, "Siobhan" is a pale white girl with red hair. Just me tho.[huh]

JustJen

Familiar Face
scotrace said:
A friend once said that you could look at a list of names and pretty much identify the decade in which they were born.
I prefer old-fashioned, traditional names.

Our daughters: India Augusta (deceased), Grace Augusta, Adriana Marie. Augusta, Grace and Marie are family names.

I'm sorry to hear you lost your daughter. India Belle was going to be our daughters' name if we'd had one. It's one of the most beautiful names I can think of.

Rosie

One Too Many
Originally Posted by scotrace
A friend once said that you could look at a list of names and pretty much identify the decade in which they were born.
I prefer old-fashioned, traditional names.

Our daughters: India Augusta (deceased), Grace Augusta, Adriana Marie. Augusta, Grace and Marie are family names.

I have a cousin named India Marie and I LOVE the name Adriana.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Governor James S. Hogg of Austin, Texas didn't want to have a girl. His wife, however, gave birth to one.

Governor Hogg's revenge: he named his daughter "Ima" ... then claimed that the name was "inspired" by a family poem. If that were really true, then the guy didn't have the brains to govern a pigpen.

Somehow, poor Ima made a good life for herself. See: http://www.famoustexans.com/imahogg.htm

HistWardrobe

Vendor
remarkable names of real people

Speaking of Ima Hogg and other heiresses with funny names (yes, such a thing existed before Paris Hilton) Bill Lear, inventor of the Lear jet, named his daughter Shanda Lear.
http://www.slecorp.com/b-productdev.html She hasn't let it get her down (see website, above)

One of my all-time favorite books is Remarkable Names of Real People, by John Train, published in the 70s, with a sequel in 1979.

Here's some truly wonderful ones that sound like roles for W.C. Fields or characters in a Marx Brothers film:

E. Pluribus Eubanks
Hogjaw Twaddle
Magdalena Babblejack
Marmalade P. Vestibule
Gaston J. Feeblebunny
Preserved Fish, Jr.

Here's a lot more from the "what were their parents THINKING?" genre. Nope, these are not urban legends, they're sho-nuff fer-real:

Iva Odor, Schoolteacher, Spencer, Iowa.
Lovey Nookey Good, Texas State Health Department, Austin, Texas.
Needa Climax, Methodist Church Officer, Centerville, Louisiana
Odious Champagne, Paper Mill Employee, Winslow, Maine
Urinal McZeal, Washington County, Florida.
Vaseline Love, Jackson, Tennessee (surprised she doesn't move to the neighboring state of KY)
Solomon Gemorah, Brooklyn, New York
Urinal McZeal, Washington County, Florida.
Kuhl Brieze, Palm Harbor, Florida.
Hilarius Fuchs, Continental Grain Company, New York City
Anil G. Shitole, Rochester, New York

What's the most remarkable about these folks is that none of them is famous for parricide.

Here's the link for more: enjoy!

http://f2.org/humour/language/oddnames.html

:eek:fftopic: Oops, this was supposed to be a thread on old fashioned names..

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
:eek:fftopic: Sorry to continue on the funny names idea, but this thread reminded me of something that was doing the rounds online a little while ago.

On this page: http://www.electraisd.net/alumni/display_class.aspx?y=1993 on the fifth row, on the far right is a girl with the name of Ginger Minge. Now in the UK, "Minge" is a slang word for a lady's private parts, so that in itself is quite amusing (at least to the childish ones among us, and I am one of them). But then someone recently turned up an article, which was rather sad, about Ginger's husband dying. http://www.ntxe-news.com/cgi-bin/artman/exec/view.cgi?archive=15&num=31369 However, I was tickled to see that her married name is now Box. And as we know, "Box" is another slang word for... I'll stop now.

I am allowed to laugh at people with silly names, having suffered with one (a rhyming one no less, hence my screen name) my whole life.

Back on topic, I actually think Ginger is a really great name, especially since Ginger Rogers is probably my favourite golden era movie/musical star. Though I might give it to a cat before I gave it to an actual child. I know I have the ginger hair gene in me, I wouldn't really want to risk my child being bullied because their name is a description! I can hear the taunts of "ginger minge" even now! lol

(side note: if this is inappropriate, please delete, it's not foul language per se, but I understand if anyone is offended at the word or me finding amusement in a grieving widow's name!)

skinnychik

One of the Regulars
Tony in Tarzana said:

Maybe it was originally and that's how the parents got the idea. Rediculous.
Anyway, sorry if I prolonged the off-topic thing.

So, um, old-fashioned names. My grandma is Lola Mae, which I think is a great name, but knowing that Kinks song I don't think I could hang that one on a kid. Then again, since it's not rap no one on the playground is likely to have heard it.

"I know what I am and I'm glad I'm a man
And so is Lola"
Er...something like that.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Tony in Tarzana said:
No, I used to work in financial aid at my university filing folders. One of the names was Shithead. There was also a name that was like this: T'Prin T'Pau Diana Ross. No Joke!

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
Governor Hogg's revenge: he named his daughter "Ima" ... then claimed that the name was "inspired" by a family poem. If that were really true, then the guy didn't have the brains to govern a pigpen.
We also have a running joke in Texas that he had another daughter and named her Ura.

Rosie

One Too Many
I wish I had the insight to have kept this article

YEARS ago, I was still in grade school, I remember reading a blurb about a couple who named their child after a winning soccer or basketball or some type of game so the baby's name was something like: Pittsburg 35 Nashville 42. :eek: I am desperately searching online for it now.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Texas and the south in general tend toward odd names.

At Texas A&M, I worked for an Extension Director (very nice gent) named Zerle Carpenter. One of the Program Directors was Uel Stockard.

A native Texas gent I worked with told me that when he was in grade school in the late 40's, there was a girl in his school whose parents gave her the appalling first and middle names "Doll Baby".

A teacher won her undying gratitude with calling the role on the first day of school. When she hit that name, she said "I'll just call you Dolly".

The girl instantly siezed on that, and was called Dolly for the rest of her life.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
In the 18th and 19th centuries, groups of British and American immigrants arrived in Chile and did very well for themselves, mostly as bankers, shipping agents, railroad engineers and mining engineers. (The Irish did pretty well, too. In fact, the Chilean republic's own "founding father" was an early 19th century general named -- ready for this? -- Bernardo O'Higgins.

Anyway, the success of these immigrants inspired working-class Chileans to give their children English first names. Today these names are considered old-fashioned, but they still appear from time to time. Hence, it was not uncommon 50 years ago to run into Chileans named Nelson Gonzalez and Washington Lopez! lol

Upper-class Chileans didn't use English first names. Instead, they married the rich British and American immigrants and acquired their last names. Hence, the most powerful man in Chile is ... Augustin Edwards Eastman.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
In the 18th and 19th centuries, groups of British and American immigrants arrived in Chile and did very well for themselves, mostly as bankers, shipping agents, railroad engineers and mining engineers. (The Irish did pretty well, too. In fact, the Chilean republic's own "founding father" was an early 19th century general named -- ready for this? -- Bernardo O'Higgins.

Anyway, the success of these immigrants inspired working-class Chileans to give their children English first names. Today these names are considered old-fashioned, but they still appear from time to time. Hence, it was not uncommon 50 years ago to run into Chileans named Nelson Gonzalez and Washington Lopez! lol

Upper-class Chileans didn't use English first names. Instead, they married the rich British and American immigrants and acquired their last names. Hence, the most powerful man in Chile is ... Augustin Edwards Eastman.

Brazilians use random-esque names as well...

I personally knew a Lindenberg (as a first name).....Washington is also common....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner