Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old fashioned names new again....

Sachet

Familiar Face
BellyTank said:
We named our Daughter 'Priya Roma'- (very old Indian names)

Priya means 'beloved' and Roma is another name for the Godess, Lakshmi.
So she is our beloved Godess.

Priya turned one year old last week and is just fine.

B
T

What a lovely story, Bellytank. Priya's name has such a beautiful history to it. I can imagine how delighted she will be to hear about it once she is old enough to understand the care you and her mother put into choosing it.

Roger

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:
I'll tell you what gives me the authority and the background. You obviously do not have the history correct but I was going to let it go. :rolleyes:
Firstly, Madiera was actually taken possession of in 1420 (not 1418---Porto Santo was first discovered in 1419)by Jao Gonsalves Zarco and Tristao Vaz Teixeira, being sent by Dom Henrique The Navigator "to find new lands." These are things that you just don't get off the web obviously.:rolleyes: [huh]
How am I so sure? Well, one of those people who led the expedition is a relative of mine. I don't think he neither would want the history of his expedition so blurred nor the history so jumbled. I tend to protect my relatives. I'll give you one redeeming question that will make me believe that you are actually from Madiera. At the time Portugal put her flag on the Madiera Islands, a historical event of great importance happened. A leader was chosen. What was his title, what was his name and how long did the title last? This is taught in every remedial school on the islands so you should know instantly without doing a Google search. :rolleyes:

Regards,

J

So we're supposed to believe this story of your new found "relative"? Don't insult us. Protect your relatives? From what? Your delusions. You have done little research into the wonderful history of this exotic island off the coast of North Africa. You're history is wrong. Perhaps you should do a "google" search. You'll learn a lot more. Now let's take Miss Neecerie's advice and get back on topic.

Roger said:
So we're supposed to believe this story of your new found "relative"? Don't insult us. Protect your relatives? From what? Your delusions. You have done little research into the wonderful history of this exotic island off the coast of North Africa. You're history is wrong. Perhaps you should do a "google" search. You'll learn a lot more. Now let's take Miss Neecerie's advice and get back on topic.

:rolleyes:

Elaina

One Too Many
My son is Casey Kenneth after my favorite Uncle who never had children (J.M.Casey was his name) and my dad's middle name.

If I have more children I'm naming my daughter Theodosia Celeste, after one of my favorite poets, and because my husband is greek...and it fits in.

If we have a boy I'm going to be stuck with Vascilos Georgos (okay, you guys will never pronounce the middle name correctly it's Yoh-gose. Terrible isn't it? Also happens to be my husband's name. Go ahead and laugh. I do ALL the time) I'm working on getting something else. Probably will wind up being William George, and called Liam.

I always liked the mother's maiden name for a middle one for the boy, but mine would ever forgive them if I stuck them with my maiden name.

Elaina

wibblebird

New in Town
Having had a baby in January, I have recently thought about this quite a bit. We ended up naming him something weird, I suppose - but it's a family name, so that makes it appropriate, does it not?

We named my son Ruddy after my father. Two d's - Ruddy, as in "red-colored skin", not Rudy (short for Rudolph). My father was named for the "rudder" of an airplane (his father was a pilot). Well, he also has ruddy colored skin. As does my son, when he's mad.

We teased my mother that we would name our son "Dino." Why was this teasing? Because our lastname ends in "-saur".

I always think in discussions of baby names of my friend Penelope. Pronounced "Penny-lope" - NOT "Pen-el-lo-pee" because her mother read it in a book and didn't know how it was pronounced. When her mother discovered how it was pronounced, decided her way was better.

Wendy

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I love old-fashioned names. My name, Meredith, is kind of old-fashioned. Not very common at least. My dad wanted to name me Isabel Jack after his grandma (Jack is used as a girl's middle name in Scotland). I'm still angry that my mom vetoed it!

So my future kids, if I get my way, will be named Isabel and Jack. I also love the name Nora.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I love the name Isabel, it's so pretty and girly.
I also love the name Ilyssa, not spelled with an "A", must be spelled with an I. My Grandmother was named Ilse, so I think this is a good variation of that name. Rachel is my other Granny's name, and I just love that name too.
Another girl name that I love is Emily. Unfortunately, I have three friends who named their little girls that, so I couldn't possibly use it.
For boys, I like Jack and Jake short for Jacob, of Jeremy.
All in all, I love the older more traditional names much more than some of the trendier names out there. I remember about 8 years ago when I worked in a childrens clothing store about half the kids I met were named either Tyler, Taylor, or Jordan. All very pretty names, but just too over used.
Wow, I guess I'm just gonna have to have a lot of kids, I like too many names!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Elaina said:
My son is Casey Kenneth after my favorite Uncle who never had children (J.M.Casey was his name) and my dad's middle name.

If I have more children I'm naming my daughter Theodosia Celeste, after one of my favorite poets, and because my husband is greek...and it fits in.

If we have a boy I'm going to be stuck with Vascilos Georgos (okay, you guys will never pronounce the middle name correctly it's Yoh-gose. Terrible isn't it? Also happens to be my husband's name. Go ahead and laugh. I do ALL the time) I'm working on getting something else. Probably will wind up being William George, and called Liam.

I always liked the mother's maiden name for a middle one for the boy, but mine would ever forgive them if I stuck them with my maiden name.

Elaina
Talking about names that can't be forgiven, I'll tell you my fathers name. Let me first say that he is an incredible man, and I feel bad making fun of him in any way. Well, here goes. His first name is Richard, but he is called Dick. His last name is Glick. Yup, put them together and say them fast. Poor guy. He's tried many times to introduce himself as Richard, he even once started telling people his name was RL his first and middle initial. But, everyone still calls him Dick. Go ahead, laugh, it's such a sad thing, and as I sad, he is really a wonderful person and a great dad so I feel really bad laughing at his expense...

Elaina

One Too Many
Okay, here's a laugh for you.

This is the weird thing, I have never once laughed at another person for their name in my life, until I met my husband. I usually empathise with people. My first name is one that has always been an old lady's name (the few I met when I was younger were well over 90, although I've met about 7 in my hometown under 10 now) and I went to school with a ton of Jennifers, Emilys and Marybeths, and they all got cute little names that ended in i's.

Then comes my maiden name of Quackenbush. (And no, it's not a mistype, and it's pronounced just like it looks.) I have probably heard it all. And you tend to feel for people that have different names growing up.

Then, because I apparently haven't leanred my lesson from having a weird name, I married someone greek. So my name is STILL off the wall.

Elaina

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Oh my...

Daisy Buchanan said:
Talking about names that can't be forgiven, I'll tell you my fathers name. Let me first say that he is an incredible man, and I feel bad making fun of him in any way. Well, here goes. His first name is Richard, but he is called Dick. His last name is Glick. Yup, put them together and say them fast. Poor guy. He's tried many times to introduce himself as Richard, he even once started telling people his name was RL his first and middle initial. But, everyone still calls him Dick. Go ahead, laugh, it's such a sad thing, and as I sad, he is really a wonderful person and a great dad so I feel really bad laughing at his expense...

Oh my Daisy that is awful! What were your grandparents thinking! I once took a deposition of a little girl named "Tannen Baum"-- I thought that was pretty bad.

I love the old fashioned names... my daughter is Olivia Beatrice, my son's a bit trendy tho..Hayden Nathaniel.

Honey Doll

Katydid

One of the Regulars
My great grandmother had the misfortune to be named Inez Pearl Gross. Yeah, "Gross" pronounced the same way you'd say it if something was disgusting. Never mind her last name, I never thought Inez was something to rave about.

Miss Marnie

New in Town
I've really enjoyed this thread. I have always been interested in the reason behind the name. My sisters and I were named after family members:

I'm Mary Frances (after a grandmother and great-grandmother)
Nannie Lee (after the other grandmother)
and Sarah Caroline (after great-grandmothers)

We loved hearing stories about the women we were named for - all but one grandmother had passed away befre we were born. It provides a link with our family's past.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24