Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old gas stations

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I love the gas station scene with Burt Lancaster in “The Killers” (1946)
Screen Shot 2017-11-03 at 11.36.42 AM.png

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Sorry re "Leave it to Heaven -" did you add that one later or did I (most likely) just miss it the first time I looked at your post (as, had I seen it, I wouldn't have posted it)?

"Dark Victory" is a really good movie that, IMHO, seems to get no notice, but is well done.

I have no doubt you wouldn’t have posted if you had seen it.
No problemo my friend...always enjoy your posts.:)

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I made a lot of those ⇧ and also, do you remember, Hubley? They made metal car model kits which were much more substantial (and expensive) than the all-plastic ones.
View attachment 91934

I made this exact model ⇩ (didn't have the fancy base though)
View attachment 91935
I do remember those kits! Hubley branched out from making metal cap guns, as I recall. The car kits were more expensive than the plastic ones, and I didn't know anyone else who'd built even one.

I do remember those kits! Hubley branched out from making metal cap guns, as I recall. The car kits were more expensive than the plastic ones, and I didn't know anyone else who'd built even one.

As silly as it sounds, they felt more "real" to me because they were metal and you did some filing, had to put in screws, paint on metal, etc. like a "real" car. They were more expensive - and I had to save each time much longer than for a plastic one - but they also took longer to build as they had a lot more parts and required more prep, so maybe it made sense economically; although, I wasn't thinking that way then, I just liked the verisimilitude.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I disliked most of the cars I saw on the street at a young age because of the evil expressions on their faces. I always figured if Satan drove a car it would be a 1950s Buick.

That's interesting! My mother, born in 1954, is still afraid of the under-wrapping grille of the 1950 Buick. When she was a little tyke the barber near her parents' house owned one and she was terrified to walk by the grille, which was right at eye level back then.

1950 Buick-01.jpg

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
Well, I realize I have forgotten a lot of things I was interested in only recently. One of them was a wood-bodied station wagon. The reason for that was because a lot of the serials from the 1940s had one. And for all I know, it was the same one in all the movies. One movie, "Trader Tom of the China Seas," one of later serials, featured brand new Fords, a sedan, a pickup truck and maybe even a station wagon.

I had totally forgotten the Karmann Ghia, a car I frequently saw when I was in college, although not one I ever sat in, much less drove. They weren't exactly racing cars.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
Ah, painting the pump island. One of my many teenage jobs. Devoe Industrial Enamel, grey on top, white on the sides. And don't slop it onto the driveway.
In the army, you paint everything: trees, curbs, rocks, you name it. Whitewash. And that's true for every army in the world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick