Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old gas stations

LizzieMaine

Bartender
5e3fbf2b956551c0ee3d99106bfe1e9c.jpg

This is the prototypical Shell station of the late 1950s-early 1960s. The tall red pillar thing is intended as an abstract representation of a chimney, which was added to make the usual porcelain-box design into something slightly evocative of a cozy family home.

This may also be the rarest gas station design to find in unaltered form. Thousands of them were built, but starting in 1967-68 Shell instituted a major remodleing campaign that turned most of them into the "ranch style" stations. All the porcelain was stripped off and replaced by fake brick, fake gable roofs were added, and the "chimney" was turned into a squarish pylon carrying the new Raymond Loewy "controlled background" sign. Some stations escaped this remodeling, but those that survive today have in just about all cases have had the top of the "chimney" lopped off. Start looking for them among the auto-and-small-engine-repair shops in your area, and you're bound to see them.

Dino fans please attend carefully....

Fantastic. You have to check your cynicism meter at the door or the self-promotion will drive you nuts, but once done, what a great time-travel moment. And good to see the Sinclair Dino (apparently, "Dino" to his friends) get the billing he deserves.

It's not like I'd like to have one of those pressed dino souvenirs - nope, I'm way too mature to want one of those.

Two non-Dino-related thoughts. One, how could it ever have been financially possible to build all that for a temporary fair? And, two, while the attire was not unexpected - very early '60s - I did notice a lot less men wearing ties than I would have guessed (but it also looked pretty hot).

Lizzie, thank you for posting it.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Sinclair had already done big dinosaur exhibits at the 1933 and 1939-40 fairs, and though the models themselves were different in 1964-65, you have to assume they reused much of the research. Likewise, in the earlier fairs many of the models were taken on the road for various promotional events, so they were able to make back some of the cost in that way. This was repeated after the 1965 fair closed, with a 37-city tour of the Sinclair marketing area for the most popular models in the exhibit. While all the 1930s Fair dinos are lost, several of the 1964-65 models were sold off after the tour, and still exist in various states of preservation.

But yeah, nobody who ever participated in a World's Fair ever made any money at it -- and all Fairs themselves end up in the red, which I guess is why they don't have them much anymore.

...But yeah, nobody who ever participated in a World's Fair ever made any money at it -- and all Fairs themselves end up in the red, which I guess is why they don't have them much anymore.

I know they used a lot of "disposable" material, but still, there was some serious investment in time, money, labor, material that, on the surface, seems crazy. I'm glad to know that my back-of-the-envelope thought was accurate - they didn't make money.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
New York got Flushing Meadow Park out of the 1939-40 Fair, and that bit of leftover was the only reason 64-65 could be done at all. There were even delays in demolition afterward because the Fair corporations could only pay the work crews piecemeal. The 1939-40 grounds weren't fully cleared until 1942, and there are still a few ruins of the 64-65 fair standing.

New York got Flushing Meadow Park out of the 1939-40 Fair, and that bit of leftover was the only reason 64-65 could be done at all. There were even delays in demolition afterward because the Fair corporations could only pay the work crews piecemeal. The 1939-40 grounds weren't fully cleared until 1942, and there are still a few ruins of the 64-65 fair standing.

I haven't looked recently, but as of a few years ago, you could still see some of those ruins if your plane banked the right way taking off or landing at LaGuardia. It was cool, but odd - how could that still be there?

On our flight back from Michigan after Christmas this year, I did get a great view of Citi Field, looked better than I thought it would.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24