Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old gas stations

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Those are from the "Share The Road Club" campaign that Shell ran from 1938 to 1941 to promote defensive driving. The marine flags mean "I Am Giving Way."

shell.jpg

I have one on my own car.

Last edited:

p51

One Too Many
Where's the third (same as the second?) one?
I see you live in Starke, FLA. I grew up in Tallahassee and we used to drive down 27 to the Ocala area twice a year. It was so sad to watch all the old gas stations and tourist spots dry up and rot away. They were in serious decline when I was a kid once they completed I-10 and that'd been running a few years, but before I left the area for good in 98, I drove down that way and almost all the old buildings along the highway were gone. I couldn't even find the locations of some I'd recalled as a kid.

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Where's the third (same as the second?) one?
I see you live in Starke, FLA. I grew up in Tallahassee and we used to drive down 27 to the Ocala area twice a year. It was so sad to watch all the old gas stations and tourist spots dry up and rot away. They were in serious decline when I was a kid once they completed I-10 and that'd been running a few years, but before I left the area for good in 98, I drove down that way and almost all the old buildings along the highway were gone. I couldn't even find the locations of some I'd recalled as a kid.
Sorry for the late reply, p51...I haven't been here for a bit.

To answer your question, the second photo is of a still-extant station in Ocala, on Main Street; the third photo is of a station at the corner of State Road 19 and State Road 51, going to Steinhatchee...it's since been demolished.

And you're right...most of the good old stuff is now all gone. [emoji53]
Rob

Sent from my ME173X using Tapatalk

2jakes ... the Split Beetle ... wow ... (the earliest one I ever had was a '54).

Back on topic -- this is my wife's grandparents in front of their gas station on Route 66 just outside the city limits of Springfield, MO.

20562066009_c5831c1e40_b.jpg

Grandpa with a couple of friends (Ruby and Wilbur).

20127884053_7073aa70bf_b.jpg

Last edited:
Bob, great pictures of the gas station and your wife's grandparents. It looks like the place evolved from their gas station into a motor lodge in the '30s or later? Did they sell to the person / company that developed the location?

Bob, thank you. Great post card and additional information. I love learning the history and evolution of places. Sometimes the stories are straightforward, but more often than not, even piece of land is a mini drama.

One bad thing about colorization is if the colors aren't historically accurate (and they never could be unless there exists a true original color version and, then, there's no need to colorize the B&W version), then our view of history gets marginally distorted. True colored photos from the period are great as they give us a closer sense of what the world looked like to the people living in it. But, artistically, I just like the feel of B&W. Even today, I enjoy the few B&W movies that get made.

Years back, when the true (of the time) colored films of WWII started to come out (not the colorized film), it was fantastic to get a better feel for how the world looked to the soldiers of the time. But artificially, to me, WWII looks "right" in B&W.

Totally agree with you !

Here’s something that I watch on a regular basis.
Always brings a good feeling & reminds me of baseball collecting when I was a kid.

[video=youtube;M0ibKMKAZFI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0ibKMKAZFI[/video]

Wonderful, thank you for posting it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24