Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old gas stations

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
00001v.jpg

arolds-Auto-Center-horizontal-view-Sinclair-gas-station-Route-19-1979.jpg

Rob

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Bugs crawling at gas stations! :)

IMG_8755.JPG

IMG_8756.JPG

IMG_8754.JPG

license toppers.
"Safety First" Mobil pegasus & Triple A.

IMG_8757.JPG

At one time there was a plethora of buggies at the local salvage,
today they have vanished.
I did find complete original rear seats
in great condition for my '63 beetle.

Also available were original chrome bumpers which are super rare.
The repos made today will rust in less
than a year. :(

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That front/roof "pylon" motif was popular with a number of companies from the mid-fifties to the early sixties. Shell was the most prominent advocate of this style.

vintshell.JPG

The pylon was meant as an architectural abstraction of a chimney, intended to make the station seem more "homey." Nearly all Shell stations built in this style that survive today have either had the top piece of the pylon removed, leaving only the slanty wall segment, or were "top hatted" in the late sixties to cover the pylon with fake brickwork to create a "rustic" style. You will very rarely see an intact Shell in this style today, but the presence of that slanty part next to the office door is a definitive giveaway of what a station used to be. Once you start looking for them, you'll see them everywhere.

⇧ Funny as I've always thought there is a simple prettiness to the lines of that Bogie car - they have a nice flow to them. It's an unassuming car but there's more there than first meets the eye.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The Bogiemobile is a 1935 Ford. A very popular and very common car well into early 1950s, and a lot of them ended up getting hacked up by hot-rod boys in later years.

The other one is a '38 Plymouth, and the owner is entitled to a B card because they have to drive more miles to their job than an A card would allow. But they had to prove it to the ration board, and if their car is spotted outside a roadhouse or a ballpark or a racetrack or anywhere else "nonessential" they'll get a certified letter in the mail telling them their ration has been pulled. Don't mess with the ration board.

The other two stickers are a state inspection sticker and a Federal Use Tax stamp. Starting in 1942, all car owners were required to buy a stamp for $5 a year in order to use any car on any federal highway, and said stamp had to be displayed on the windshield as evidence of tax paid. That requirement continued until the middle of 1946.

Yes there is! :)
View attachment 80459

Don’t light it sweetie.:rolleyes:

If I'm going to "date" one woman from that movie - and no slight intended to Bacall - it's going to be Dorothy Malone and I want to have the exact "date" that Bogie has with her in the bookstore. That is, IMHO, one of the best scenes of that type in any movie ever - leaves everything to the imagination but, in truth, it leaves not one thing to the imagination as we all know exactly what happened without seeing it and all because Malone strikes the perfect and very difficult balance of being aggressively alluring without being cheap or tawdry.

The Bogiemobile is a 1935 Ford. A very popular and very common car well into early 1950s, and a lot of them ended up getting hacked up by hot-rod boys in later years.

The other one is a '38 Plymouth, and the owner is entitled to a B card because they have to drive more miles to their job than an A card would allow. But they had to prove it to the ration board, and if their car is spotted outside a roadhouse or a ballpark or a racetrack or anywhere else "nonessential" they'll get a certified letter in the mail telling them their ration has been pulled. Don't mess with the ration board.

The other two stickers are a state inspection sticker and a Federal Use Tax stamp. Starting in 1942, all car owners were required to buy a stamp for $5 a year in order to use any car on any federal highway, and said stamp had to be displayed on the windshield as evidence of tax paid. That requirement continued until the middle of 1946.

As always - thank you Lizzie. The sweep of the lines of the roof, trunk and running boards (over both front and back tires) and the overall proportions of that car are incredible - the more I look, the more impressed I am. Simple, elegant and aesthetically proportionate - kudos to Ford on that one.

1935-ford-coupe-1.JPG

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
If I'm going to "date" one woman from that movie - and no slight intended to Bacall - it's going to be Dorothy Malone and I want to have the exact "date" that Bogie has with her in the bookstore. That is, IMHO, one of the best scenes of that type in any movie ever - leaves everything to the imagination but, in truth, it leaves not one thing to the imagination as we all know exactly what happened without seeing it and all because Malone strikes the perfect and very difficult balance of being aggressively alluring without being cheap or tawdry.

You’ve mentioned this before and you won’t get no argument from me.
I too would rather be there flippin' pages like crazy with Dorothy!

But noticed the dejected look on Malone when Bogie makes his farewell
from the book-shop, she knows she’s not ever going to see him
again.

Bogie might be good with solving cases....but not with how to treat
a doll like Malone.
If it was me, I’d go back to the book-shop to get my book card
punched again and more important show her know how much
I cared for her.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members