Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old gas stations

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Shell shock...I mean....Shell socks! :)
e5b82075c2b1377106e90b1d7246e22e369e1b95.jpg

Last edited:
You’ve mentioned this before and you won’t get no argument from me.
I too would rather be there flippin' pages like crazy with Dorothy!

But noticed the dejected look on Malone when Bogie makes his farewell
from the book-shop, she knows she’s not ever going to see him
again.

Bogie might be good with solving cases....but not with how to treat
a doll like Malone.
If it was me, I’d go back to the book-shop to get my book card
punched again and more important show her know how much
I cared for her.

All fair points*, but there is something to the instance of their meeting. Yes, she appeared sad and maybe he and / or she will wistfully look back on that day for awhile, but as their lives go on, the singularity - the serendipity - of the moment will have a poignancy in reflection that will contribute to their lives' experiences and memories in, hopefully, a pleasant if even a bit remorseful way.

*My post assumes that nothing was explicitly or implicitly promised or said by Bogie to Malone about follow up.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
imageedit_8_8612506508.png
Your follow up expresses it very well.
I totally agree.

I will head on to the appropriate “movie"section and perhaps post that
besides Jack Benny and Oliver Hardy....Bogart was another actor
that would look straight at the camera as if we were intruding on his actions.
Especially in ‘The Big Sleep” when he is driving Bacall’s naughty sister back home.

And speaking of naughty no-no at the pump.
ad9e24b3d4291a562aee3da081341a5f7cba1a07.jpg

This illustrates how I feel about it! :D
def3d28611ad43f5f9135d4acf3bee8394850630.jpg

Last edited:

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
Same here. My father's first car was a 1950 Chevrolet "Deluxe," black, four-door. It had "spats" for the rear wheels or whatever they were called. They weren't as big as they looked.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
IMG_8878.JPG

I grew up when cars had running boards and gas stations provided full service at the pumps.
There's nothing like an original b&w photo.
Yet I like colorized photos because they make me feel like I'm there once again.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
Yes, fender skirts. I don't remember if the car had running boards, though. It had seat covers made of a woven plastic fabric that looked like the kind of flat plastic stuff you would use to make lanyards and things like that in the scouts. It had a three-speed on the column and no radio. I had one car that had a four-speed on the column that I thought was a really slick transmission. It was a Renault 16 hatchback. I don't remember that much about the old Chevy except that the cigar lighter was an interesting thing. Naturally it had no air conditioning but it did have the little quarter-lights in the front window that you could open and get a nice breeze. Most people didn't drive as fast as they do now but the roads weren't as good, either. I also don't remember it getting as hot during the summer as it does now. But for that matter, I don't remember it getting all that cold in the winter, either, although I'm sure it did.

The Chevrolet had plain fender skirts, of course, with plain hub caps.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
I just did a search of images of 1950 Chevrolets and there were a lot more variations that I imagined, although it is likely that I never saw that many of them and even if I did, I wouldn't have remembered them anyway. One of the few old cars I remember was a Studebaker than a neighbor had, one that had a wraparound rear window.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo