Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old Placemats? Need help identifying.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
While cleaning out some things from my Dad’s place yesterday, I found these old placemats (or at least I think they are placemats). They look really old and must have been at the house for a long time but I never saw them before. There are three of them, with one being much more faded than the other two. They are about 14” across, and about ½ inch thick. They feel like heavy tapestry or rug-like material. The back is finished with a cloth tape sewn around the edges.

Do any of you have a clue about these? Any guess as to the age? Are they really placemats? Or, if not, what are they.

DSC03142.jpg

View of the front:

DSC03139.jpg

View of the back:

DSC03140.jpg

Foofoogal

Banned
That is needlepoint BigMan. Possibly for round stools as a seat.
What does the back look like? Is it striped? If so probably machine made. Do you see stitches like someone made it?

Big Man

Foofoogal said:
That is needlepoint BigMan. Possibly for round stools as a seat.
What does the back look like? Is it striped? If so probably machine made. Do you see stitches like someone made it?

Thanks for the input. I guess it's possible they could be stool seats, but they are kind of big for any stools I've seen (and not much "padding", to boot).

The back looks just about like the front (see last picture), excepting you can tell it's the back (don't know how to explain, but you can tell the back from the front). There are no stripes or stitches visible. The weave (for lack of a better word) resembles that of a rug or carpet. It ti very tight and neat, so I would suspect they were machine made.

Be they stool/chair seats or not, they really do make a good looking placemat. [huh]

Big Man

Vintage Betty said:
I agree with Foofoogal. Those are seatcovers.

Well, since two ladies who I have great respect for their opinions both agree on seat covers, I guess they are seat covers. Looks like I was way off base on my initial idea of old placemats (but I still say they look really good used that way :eek: ).

So, do either of you (or anyone else) have an opinion/guess as to the general age?

Thanks for your help.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I've definitely seen such things used as seat covers.
Reminds me of the story (urban legend?) of the lady who proudly served soup to her Thanksgiving guests in her new soup tureen. Except her soup tureen was actually an old, though elaborate, chamber pot. At least this didn't have such unpleasant consequences. ;)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
My great aunts, back in Chautauqua around 1951 and 52, used them when they were too old and feeble to get across the hall to the bathroom. They sat quietly under the bed with their lids firmly on.
:)
Err . . . ahem . . . now back to our topic . . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot