Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old Radio Anyone? Help or Advice

epr25

Practically Family
Hi there. We are searching for an old radio preferably with a record player. There is one that we are looking at. In the description they are saying that they plugged it in and the was no sound. Does anyone one here work on these or could lend any advice weather it would be practical to buy this and attempt to fix it?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Well, the first thing you need to be sure of is that all the parts are there. Are all the tubes in place, is the speaker present? Many old sets were cannibalized for parts during their years of inactivity, and it's very common for them to turn up with important parts missing.

Also, when they say "no sound," do they mean no sound *at all?* Is there a hum in the speaker, or is the set completely dead? The latter could mean any number of things, from a missing speaker to a blown fuse, to a burned up power transformer. But if there's at least some sort of hum, you know that it's repairable. It may be something as simple as needing to have an antenna connected or it might be a complex circuit problem, but at least the basic foundation is sound.

Speaking of burned up power transformers, ask if there's any kind of a burned smell in the back. If there is, look for another set -- it might be fixable, but the fix won't be cheap or easy.

K

kpreed

LizzieMaine said:
Well, the first thing you need to be sure of is that all the parts are there. Are all the tubes in place, is the speaker present? Many old sets were cannibalized for parts during their years of inactivity, and it's very common for them to turn up with important parts missing.

Also, when they say "no sound," do they mean no sound *at all?* Is there a hum in the speaker, or is the set completely dead? The latter could mean any number of things, from a missing speaker to a blown fuse, to a burned up power transformer. But if there's at least some sort of hum, you know that it's repairable. It may be something as simple as needing to have an antenna connected or it might be a complex circuit problem, but at least the basic foundation is sound.

Speaking of burned up power transformers, ask if there's any kind of a burned smell in the back. If there is, look for another set -- it might be fixable, but the fix won't be cheap or easy.
I totally agree, with so much to be fixed or up-graded on them (can be a bunch). If you are into fixing old radios, maybe. but with many old radio folks on this site I think you will find one here already done that may work better for you. Good Luck!

Flivver

Practically Family
It's always nice to see and listen to an old radio in person before you purchase it. I see that you're in Fort Wayne. There are great old radio clubs in both Indiana and Michigan that have meets where many old radios will be offered for sale. The Indiana club is known as IHRS and is having their spring meet in Kokomo on April 25-26. Details are on their website www.indianahistoricalradio.org

The Michigan club is MARC. They host a wonderful meet in early July in Lansing that I used to attend when I lived in Michigan...highly recommended.

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
Look what we bought!

This is our new 1941 Zenith console that we picked up yesterday. It plays great and we will be getting an SSTRAN am transmitter to allow us to hear something worth listening to.
IMGP2545.jpg
[/IMG]

IMGP2547.jpg
[/IMG]

IMGP2550.jpg
[/IMG]

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
epr25 said:
Hi there. We are searching for an old radio preferably with a record player. There is one that we are looking at. In the description they are saying that they plugged it in and the was no sound. Does anyone one here work on these or could lend any advice weather it would be practical to buy this and attempt to fix it?

Yeah, keep lookin'! I mean, if it drives you crazy and you know where to go to get it fixed... and have the money to do so, then, it would be worth it to you... especially if it was a family piece that was handed down.

But, in this case, you could keep your eyes open and find one that works or is very close to working... like Lizy said, if it hums, it could be easier to fix. And most of the time the hum is caused by leaking wax filter capacitors that need to be replaced... and also a bum tube or two.

Most of the radios I've had fixed came back with a plastic bag full of the old parts that were replaced and it was all the old wax filter capacitors that were replaced and a tube or two.

Look around in your local Antique shops, contact radio collector clubs and also look on Ebay... you'll find a lot of great things to be had! And if you find a record/radio combo that works... I mean, all of it works! BUY IT! You'll pay a little more for it but, it will last you for a long time and you'll enjoy it because, you wont have to have it fixed... and you could enjoy it right then and there!

Good luck!

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
DancingSweetie said:
This is our new 1941 Zenith console that we picked up yesterday. It plays great and we will be getting an SSTRAN am transmitter to allow us to hear something worth listening to.
IMGP2545.jpg
[/IMG]

IMGP2547.jpg
[/IMG]

IMGP2550.jpg
[/IMG]

:eek: NICE RADIO!

Zenith's are great! That's why so many of them are worth over $1000. now.:rolleyes:

B R A N D X®

Familiar Face
This is the best source I have found. Michael is a detail fanatic. I'm working with him now to have a console restored. He is trying to figure out the best way to wire in an Aux In jack so I can play an iPod though it.

I have one iPod that is fully loaded with nothing but old-time radio shows, commercials and jazz from the 20's-40's. This is the best way I have come up with to be able to actually have radio programs, advertisements and period music that is contemporary to the set come out of the speaker when I turn it on!:)

Check Michael and his sets out:

The Radio Nut

epr25

Practically Family
Thanks to everyone that has replied. We have looked in local antique shops and either we find one with nothing inside and looks great outside or not working. I guess it's just a waiting game. We'll find one eventually.

RetroToday

A-List Customer
epr25 said:
Thanks to everyone that has replied. We have looked in local antique shops and either we find one with nothing inside and looks great outside or not working. I guess it's just a waiting game. We'll find one eventually.

I recommend to wait until the spring or summertime and go out on garbage night in a large town or city. I probably find at least three of those radio-phono units from the 1950s every year on the curb, in fair condition too. Just make sure you get there before the rain, and little vandals....

As well, many are in garage sales every year. Most of those also don't sell and are pitched in the trash heap after the garage sale is over.

Just keep your eyes open for them, they will be there, trust me.
Happy hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner