Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old Tom Gin

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I like Haymens too. When I've used Old Tom to mix it's usually been in a Martinez (1 part gin, 1 part French Vermouth, 1 dash orange bitters, 1 dash curacao; served up with a cherry). It make s pretty good Tom Colin's as well. For whatever reason I've always associated Old Tom's with gin-based drink that were on the sweeter side . . . don't know why, though.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
I like Haymens too. When I've used Old Tom to mix it's usually been in a Martinez (1 part gin, 1 part French Vermouth, 1 dash orange bitters, 1 dash curacao; served up with a cherry). It make s pretty good Tom Colin's as well. For whatever reason I've always associated Old Tom's with gin-based drink that were on the sweeter side . . . don't know why, though.

Thanks for the response, I think maybe the sweet gin cocktails comes from the nature of Hayman's which is noticeable sweeter than a dry gin. This is quite different to other Old Toms such as Jensen and Ransom which re much dryer and maybe even a touch bitter.

These are my thoughts on the tasting: http://summerfruitcup.wordpress.com/2011/03/11/oldtomgin/

Xorigeur made a very piney Martinez so if you like a floral gins I'd give this a try. I think Haymans make a great sweet Martini though.

Thanks Tomasso for that article, it's very comprehensive.

jmrtnko

Familiar Face
Hayman's Old Tom is pretty much our house gin. It's quite smooth and mixable. I've also tried Ransom and it's okay, but if I wanted a genever, I'd buy that instead. Jensen... well... was a bit, for lack of a better word... off. Not bad necessarily, just not my preference.

And last night a friend was back in town from London and very, very generously gifted me with a bottle of Dorchester. Never thought I'd be able to try it. It's very different from the other brands I've had so far. Very peppery and floral with a bit of citrus. I'm not generally a straight spirit drinker, but it was extremely smooth. Now that I've got it home, I'm eager to try it out in a couple cocktails tonight.

Last edited:

jmrtnko

Familiar Face
The Martinez with the Dorchester was very different than with the Hayman's. We use 2 Old Tom, .75 Carpano Antica, .25 Maraska Maraschino, 1 dash Angostura Orange, Lemon Twist. The Dorchester has a bit more flavor of its own to stand up to the Carpano, but that flavor is pretty much all pepper and flower in the drink. Not bad, just very different. I do have to say we did like the dryness, or at least the perceived dryness. Our Martinez has been getting a little too sweet lately. I don't think I'll switch to Dorchester (for obvious availability reasons) but I might go back to Luxardo when the Maraska runs out.

Tonight maybe an Aviation, or a 1880's-style martini.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner