Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On the fence- vintage Tauber’s Horsehide Pull-over…yes or no?

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I've seen a few other Taubers Horsehide shirts. I've seen at least one later edition in cowhide, I believe it was Brown. I've seen ads for the Horsehide shirt in mid 60s MC magazines. Probably about as late as any maker using horsehide.

I've been having issues with picture posting. I see them some can't.

this one is pretty nice, as most Taubers stuff looks to be.

0nhSjaSewda-uMYI98zi3243avselURHhyGub_EFGQbAASHoUI1fud7rEfu5Qt_xTZkNxSIiXNrpSbH63zW9XyzamEQa8SqjVz624LQrG_uLKhn-NA9rgYe1H5mPbj00x3KH-I3DZCvbaHirBvQP9Qt8t8V3CWsty-vv7j3j5VlcgNyhsShrNh1JzcQFgALTeZSczX5WFR2sZEk8MqsNc6_PhX-YUyiYbUAZFx4PElNDBXZTUVwaZQDgSgqXOMaDNt5IW-wyAPFdwNg6_4xpyyfnhGb9cbQ-i8HbU91EakYlaLuOwxueQXozQN2RVQmiM_YPUPEqYKvD-U_1-MyOr8-dMQasy3SVEDXIsHQC48qnYzUv2WM_AvjVSkU4DaJo9O81pRAtWo7qn0Bd_xzI8VJxiL10S1bt_gORn5iq7A1mCU7N-vQx2pxQv028L2rv_3RmfICx7vG-Tw7blLjz-ww97NEXCk9vKaC-UjI8v0TSSyBo_Yt7LnMej_3HFRqRG9DhN72Qbz6MHWNESco1JS6DCU1RgGpr0A2uMJxrp0mhAsmMC_a0HsBRk38rnt8JtK2VwOsYLDkS6esgykI-NPgGrBmt6wiIX96jTqfQBoY=w748-h643-no

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
If it's not rotten.
If it's not damaged.
If it's not a really, really stupid price...

Then I say buy it!
You'll never wear a new one enough to put that kind of patina on it, and it'll never get to look this cool, so you'll likely never be able to justify the expense of a new one. But this one's got enough character to justify buying it, even if you don't wear it a lot.
Couldn't have put it better.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
I didn't even know there were pull overs like this. I want to really mix up my collection with different cuts, styles, makers, repros, vintage, plus what Big J said.

technovox

One Too Many
Thanks for all the comments! All good thoughts. Gawd, I love this forum...you guys are the best! I still haven’t pulled the trigger on it, and I suppose that might be a sign…I’m liking the horsehide, the patina, the amazing fit, the swagger. But I just can’t get past that Rawhide cowboy look…and the inconvenience of a pullover. How often do I say to myself “today would be perfect for a horsehide pullover?” Fanch is right. The bottom line-where would I actually wear it?
BTW the price on it is $400. Not an unreasonable sum for the cool factor, and a piece of horsehide history, but I could also use the $$ for something with a little more day-to-day functionality.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments! All good thoughts. Gawd, I love this forum...you guys are the best! I still haven’t pulled the trigger on it, and I suppose that might be a sign…I’m liking the horsehide, the patina, the amazing fit, the swagger. But I just can’t get past that Rawhide cowboy look…and the inconvenience of a pullover. How often do I say to myself “today would be perfect for a horsehide pullover?” Fanch is right. The bottom line-where would I actually wear it?
BTW the price on it is $400. Not an unreasonable sum for the cool factor, and a piece of horsehide history, but I could also use the $$ for something with a little more day-to-day functionality.
It's definitely one of those wear it when pieces. If you have the number of those to make it worth while... I'd say it's well worth it. You won't see another like it. I always admire seeing these and almost bought an equally rare Vanson suede version. Just knew I wouldn't have the chance to wear it enough to reconcile the price. If I were attending parties every weekend with lingerie models... yeah I'd be wearing the piss out of it. Alas I'm far more likely to be shopping at Target on Saturday...which is not surprisingly less exciting but equally challenging.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
If I were attending parties every weekend with lingerie models... yeah I'd be wearing the piss out of it. Alas I'm far more likely to be shopping at Target on Saturday...which is not surprisingly less exciting but equally challenging.

You do have a way with words. I've got so many pieces to wear I don't think about some of them. I think I paid $350 for mine is a size 44, nice solid condition. They have it priced where it should be. I have no shops in my area that have any thing like that hanging around.

You said it has enough appeal to hang on the wall. I've got jackets hanging on mine. It does look good on you. So you wear it out a couple of times per year, worth it? I was very happy to get mine.

I've seen this style by other makers and have been tempted just recently, but one is enough. the Taubers shirt is just classic California Motorcycle Sportswear made in the Bay area. It is the right one. They don't show up that often and there is usually some one around who wants one. Hard to get hurt on this one. If it was a 44 I'd probably be messaging your for the Shop name.

I may put it on tonight.

DC_fjQoOYJUfxAyAaYMRSxsY_LqpAwWtmFFc252OvxRn5KiK7O2ofdlFIjQIyU97ibtscDMm_Tj1wDonyPtarqA4wXAD9gjrNOtkMvLwbGmpYxncPCm1v53IXgHOWXeRX89WUbTeR6nKFi974xldfCmIAEjmoD064966dp7ZPfrdWHnYEu4ARGiZh85q7i3TIU5dMCyqgTIESW2--Zkl4ImtJIiNGuKe2tB1kHJDN-k4q8oP_zMttLJG1tzxKYdl0rBdnIoxFMULAX2AcSTxN9RxvUlL1kONuDPlTO418jP9ZTgf20yFMgGr3sCcutMjtVkriI0rO_91JXc7ackLY6dyme-_fIgss18Ytv2Byf4rJniOFHVrmK9uOnYGL5XeFzHEHvpAe4ruvBWofbvx3CyTRrlryM1jq22bAowsWnDwDkUM3_JBRadB7IhqtyDb1uD4LGKyFO2YoExs3YT5CeGEDnxnlUoj5FRmCRkFsKze-ZgQw-6IXt3KVBFQzQcME6fQh6wI8lX6dPt-zXpw8nL-E2EASBKD_nITm7hOhy7Rk5fraiHy1_IVpVkaH60BaxpfHXERxPGAgsiPnxcf8atBds7RsHttR_kLjBHSIy0=w908-h643-no
c-tO4dbCy94-8PgAtZUZZMSibh_hYmjJewq-G1AosZObsSQx186QU0I9Qf1aaWWHQHvHfuNzKZ8Rl7-yTPMHfetrnpgDTchLDONpOoWHak8aYwkprumQbheGtGX5O0pI83YpOglSLRQ4fef4mqZ2uiYxOddzEWvQbmVtRNcJDwevVMdI_Hf9Zww788L_haIr_Irwld9mQ5Ys2H-RstodbPw1zlO74TY2J1rDkrIdNC9Hrf2uNflsQQHoM7Xh0C-vw9UB9CYRW84PQu6BkhOK0Aifnwzdu_BjGxCiXoAHY0Gi3iktKEJKFZjbZnfZVHQMi1OK4_uPu6MiTXDNp0v5dBmHHueOHfS-PTpTEbAwmL0ktN8abU2apqsNhKT84KEs1vKIItwocD94LMss5cGtp9p-a8Mstrdtj2wyrPAuVm8s1FWwxYgqhsu2R1ij9BWQHTDA94r52KC1ddGHjMNN3k2X1UDgqflly-BoUQFoZig8gUbQciite6pxqpQUEVuCICfuF9kGiuOV7jNDJaloZlBPCbTLfSnzDfYcaKFGqXpX_9WboYHkax9Swj-BAk7LnZJY_tvEJ5_AgTmXq69kYOWj84RmnLBpyui7VIBwW30=w968-h643-no

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
OK, a Taubers pull over is no on my list
I think these pullovers are crazy cool if you're riding, I don't think I could pull it off anywhere else but on a bike though. This one in particular I'm no fan of though, I don't like the patina on it. These look so much cooler in black. Wouldn't go for it. Get a Langlitz or Vanson if you dig the look, imho.
Do Langlitz or Vanson do pull overs. I can't remember seeing one on their web page, but i wasn't looking for one either. I will look again. Thanks.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
At one of my favorite stops today, I spotted this vintage Tauber’s Horsehide motorcycle pull-over. Not really my thing, didn’t even want to try it on, but dang it, when I did- it fit like it was tailored made for me. It’s got side zips, and zips on the arms- makes it a little easier to pull on. And the leather patina on it is absolutely gorgeous. Total swagger and cool vibe going on. It’s the kind of piece I could see hanging on the wall like a piece of art.
Jeez, I’m really on the fence on this one… assuming it’s still available.

Pros-

Beautiful, rare, and good shape
Fits like a proverbial glove
Longer arms (which I hardly ever find on a vintage piece)

Cons
I just can’t see any situation where I’d really wear it
Not cheap
Don't really need another vintage jacket- especially something this rare and fragile

Any thoughts?

View attachment 95380

View attachment 95382

View attachment 95383

View attachment 95384
How long are the sleeves? :)

technovox

One Too Many
How long are the sleeves? :)
I didn't measure the sleeves, they were right about where they should be...but the jacket is as tight as I would ever want to go-- I had to struggle a bit and practically shoehorn myself into it. (Fortunately, it has zips way up the sides.) It barely fit me, so I can't imagine there is any way this thing is going to fit you...unless you want to pop a seam or two. ;)

technovox

One Too Many
OK, a Taubers pull over is no on my list

Do Langlitz or Vanson do pull overs. I can't remember seeing one on their web page, but i wasn't looking for one either. I will look again. Thanks.
Cal Leather has made them for years and will make you a custom pull over...but it's pricey. And not horsehide.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
I didn't measure the sleeves, they were right about where they should be...but the jacket is as tight as I would ever want to go-- I had to struggle a bit and practically shoehorn myself into it. (Fortunately, it has zips way up the sides.) It barely fit me, so I can't imagine there is any way this thing is going to fit you...unless you want to pop a seam or two. ;)

Yeah, and I like em longer and looser than they are supposed to fit. I’m just weird that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So33

One of the Regulars
That fits perfect. Buy it and live life on the edge. If it sits in the closet unused, you don't deserve it, pass it on.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
It's definitely one of those wear it when pieces. If you have the number of those to make it worth while... I'd say it's well worth it. You won't see another like it. I always admire seeing these and almost bought an equally rare Vanson suede version. Just knew I wouldn't have the chance to wear it enough to reconcile the price. If I were attending parties every weekend with lingerie models... yeah I'd be wearing the piss out of it. Alas I'm far more likely to be shopping at Target on Saturday...which is not surprisingly less exciting but equally challenging.
Hey Ton312
Here is one that you could wear at parties with lingerie models. It shore is perty, and pricey.
But, I am just going to go to work, and go right home again. Think I'll even skip Target. :)

http://cal-leather.com/shop/pullover

What's the verdict @technovox? You going to party like a rock star or look for bargain IPA's @Target with me!?!

Sidebar. They have Rev Pils and Fistmas for sale @$8.99 a joe six pack (at least here in Chicago). That's $ very well spent btw.

Peacoat

Bartender
I agree with HD that it looks fragile. The leather is probably dried out as well. It would probably soak up a couple of coats of Pecard. That would knock the extreme patina back some, but it would still look well worn. Just not my thing, but you are the one who will wear it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21