Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On the hunt.....

the dude79

New in Town
Hello all,

There's a certain type of hat that I've been looking for since I started wearing hats again about 5 years ago. It's a silver/gray fedora, size 7 1/8" with a 2 1/2 to 2/ 3/4" brim. It is so hard to find one online, I just missed one on ebay!, in my size with that wide of a brim. I don't care if it's Adam, Champ, Stetson........whatever! I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Cheers!
Corey

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Open Road has to be it. You can search E Bay and type in: stetson 7 1/8 (just like that--7 space 1/8). I do it all the time. Then you'll see a certain number of Open Road hats for sale.

Hobart Arms

New in Town
I have a Stetson Twenty "The Sovereign" in 7 1/8" with a 2 1/2" brim in grey with a black ribbon. The sweat band is a lighter brown. The first hat I ever bought.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Why does it have to be an open road? I don't see him mention ribbon size/style in his post.

Open Road is my best guess for a "silver/gray" fedora with a 2.5"-2.75" brim. If the OP would like to be more specific, then perhaps more specific help can be offered.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hello all,

There's a certain type of hat that I've been looking for since I started wearing hats again about 5 years ago. It's a silver/gray fedora, size 7 1/8" with a 2 1/2 to 2/ 3/4" brim. It is so hard to find one online, I just missed one on ebay!, in my size with that wide of a brim. I don't care if it's Adam, Champ, Stetson........whatever! I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Corey, the fedora you describe could be any of quite a few hat styles. The hat you like...how wide is its ribbon? Half of an inch? Wider? Do you recall if the brim has binding around the edge?

AF

DamianM

Vendor
Funny I just found two in the last month and both for 10 dollars. One is a Bailey and today found a Pilgrim, the pilgrim is 7 1/8. Both with how you described them.
I though they where more common?
They need cleaning and a little love since I picked them up from a flee market.

Heres the Bailey, something like you described?
scaled.php

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Hey everyone thanks for the advice! Wow this post really blew up! ANyway, sorry about being so vague, maybe this will help...http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...RTQ:US:1123&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_656wt_936

if that one doesn't work try this....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...36&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123#ht_656wt_962

Thanks again!

Ok, so a Whippet....hmm...that's going to be harder to find. I suspect that one would have sold for more if the seller had identified it as a whippet, although the condition is a bit rough. What is your budget? Is a custom hat out of your price range?

strato102

New in Town
I believe what you are looking for

is a Whippet style hat which is similar to an Open Road except it has a larger ribbon on both the hat and the brim.

the dude79

New in Town
Hi, at the moment my range is limited, so a custom is out of the question. That's why I was looking on Ebay. Though this is exactly the kind of hat I'm looking for in both color and style. It just needs a wind-cord.

the dude79

New in Town
Thanks for the advice. This is definitely the kind of hat I'm looking for. It's taking me awhile to find the right one. That will just make it all the more awesome when I find it.

the dude79

New in Town
By the way, I wasn't sure about the condition on the hat. I did notice the wear and tear it has and that made me think twice. I think some wear gives a hat some character, but I want to be the one doing that. :)

Dude,
As you have seen there are many hats other than Stetsons which would fit your description. The Stetsons in general, and Whippets in particular will usually command higher prices. Those similar hats of other brands seem to go for less. It may take some time and patience, but sooner or later you should find one in your budget. You may also want to peruse the classifieds here for something similar. That is a nice color combination for sure.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Hi, at the moment my range is limited, so a custom is out of the question. That's why I was looking on Ebay. Though this is exactly the kind of hat I'm looking for in both color and style. It just needs a wind-cord.

Wow, if you have a limited budget a Wippet is not for the faint of wallet.:) Unless you have a small head a Wippet is way to pricey and a custom version can be cheaper than a well taken care of vintage model. Ebay is not always the cheapest way to obtain a hat. Especially if you want a prefect one you will be paying a small sum of money to get it.

the dude79

New in Town
Funny I just found two in the last month and both for 10 dollars. One is a Bailey and today found a Pilgrim, the pilgrim is 7 1/8. Both with how you described them.
I though they where more common?
They need cleaning and a little love since I picked them up from a flee market.

Heres the Bailey, something like you described?
scaled.php

This is definitely in the ballpark. Thanks for posting it.

Lots of good advice has already been dispensed here, dude, but I can add that if a narrower edge binding isn't a deal breaker for you, your choices are much more plentiful and, hence, your likelihood of finding a hat in your size and preferred color, at a price you can handle, increases dramatically.

The good news is that these are still good times to be buying old stuff, including hats. That sort of swag just ain't commanding the prices it did pre-crash. Still, even now people will pay large sums for, say, a pristine gray-on-gray Stetson Whippet in a size 7 1/4 and larger. Such a hat will fetch such a price because for every such hat there are more than a few vintage hat aficionados lusting after it. But, as hatophile has already observed, there are very similarly styled hats from other manufacturers that sell for much lower prices. In many cases, those hats are every bit the equal of, and sometimes the better than, the Stetson offering.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn