Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OPEN ROAD COLORS ????

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Razzman said:
Thanks JTL! You've got a fantastic collection on thin ribboned hats. :eusa_clap The different colors and hues are great. Again, thanks for posting them.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

You're most welcome, Razzman. I've been wanting to catalogue Stetson OR colors for a while, and this thread finally gave me a reason to do it!

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
RBH said:
Hey Jim, I dub you KING !

King of the [Open] Road? Time to cue up Roger Miller... lol lol lol

In any event, Rusty, as you are the founder of the Brotherhood of the Thin Ribbon, I remain your loyal subject...:D

Cheers,
JtL

mingoslim

Practically Family
Man . . . oh, man . . .

Some very, very nice ORs . . .
Making me covet may neighbors lid :)

But I notice one color that is not in your group . . .

How about a nice sage/mint green OR 25 . . . circa 1960 . . .

stetsonc1970or2503.jpg

Razzman

One Too Many
mingoslim said:
Some very, very nice ORs . . .
Making me covet may neighbors lid :)

But I notice one color that is not in your group . . .

How about a nice sage/mint green OR 25 . . . circa 1960 . . .

stetsonc1970or2503.jpg

Mark,
That is one fine looking lid. In sage/mint green. It looks beige on my computer.

Stan

A-List Customer
I have a red/white one

Hi,

I have that red and white Royal OR. It's the official NC State game hat for me. Paulette and I like to go to the women's BB games as Paulette and Kay Yow are friends.

It also works well at Hurricanes hockey games, although I'm *not* about to toss it if someone scores themselves that elusive third goal of the game!! :)

The original owner was an Oklahoma fan, and bought it in Dallas in the late 1950's when he went to an OU game at UT. It came from his estate.

It's interesting to have the history on a vintage hat like that. It's the only one in my (admittedly small) hat collection that I know the backstory of.

As far as my other OR's go, they're all a light tan color that I refer to as 'tan silverbelly'. That's opposed to the Resistol brand OR-style hats I have that are what I refer to as 'grey silverbelly'.

I wouldn't mind having one of those blue and/or sage green ones referred to, though.

I'm having an OR-clone custom made in chocolate brown right now, as I gave up my search for a vintage one in that color. This'll be my second custom made hat. The other is a beige OR-clone. I have to say that of all my dozen (I did say that I had a small collection) OR and OR-style hats that I wear my custom made one twice as often as all the others put together. :)

Oh, and don't pick on JTL *too* much. Don't we all have a favorite crease? Most of mine sport a deep diamond crease. I do have three that have the cattleman's - the red one and one each of the tan and grey silverbelly colors.

Later!

Stan

mingoslim

Practically Family
Chocolate . . .

Stan said:
I'm having an OR-clone custom made in chocolate brown right now, as I gave up my search for a vintage one in that color. This'll be my second custom made hat. The other is a beige OR-clone. I have to say that of all my dozen (I did say that I had a small collection) OR and OR-style hats that I wear my custom made one twice as often as all the others put together. :)

Perhaps you have been looking for something like this one . . .

stetsonc1950royal3x01.jpg

;)

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Here's a shot of my 7x Whippet, that looks more like an OR. A very nice blue gray.
060708_162900.jpg

060708_162501.jpg

I think it needs to be sent out for a good cleaning, maybe replace the ribbon...breath some life back into it...Where/who would be a good choice for the cleaning job?

Mingo...that brown is gorgeous!

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I thought it was black when I bid on it...

but it turned out to be a charcoal grey. Not that I'm complaining! I won this about a year and a half ago. The photos are from the auction; some may remember it.

StetsonORBlackeBayphoto1.jpg

StetsonORBlackeBayphoto2.jpg

StetsonORBlackeBayphoto3.jpg

StetsonORBlackeBayphoto4.jpg

StetsonORBlackeBayphoto9.jpg

StetsonORBlackeBayphoto5.jpg

Still pristine...

DSC02394.jpg

Cheers,
Tom

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Wow, Tom -- great lid!!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

That is an absolutely beautiful color -- one I don't think I've ever seen before on an OR. I like the complementary ribbon, as well.

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
carouselvic said:

Nice lids, Victor. So -- there's the medium gray OR. Looks like your light brown OR may be the same color as the one of mine that I described as dark tan/fawn. It's a beautiful color.

So far, it looks like we've uncovered actual examples of the following OR colors:

Red :)eek:)
Charcoal gray
Medium gray
Brown
Light brown (dark tan ;))
Light tan
Natural tan (clear beaver)
Silver Belly
Sage green
Blue
Light blue (2 different shades).

That's 11 different basic colors (12 if you count the light blue variation).

I'm sure that there must be an example of a black OR out there. Also, Harp Player Gene has a Royal Stetson OR-style lid in a beatiful shade of green that is different from the sage green posted by Mingoslim. I just have to think that ORs were offered in that other green, as well.

So, any other examples out there? :)

Cheers,
JtL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy