Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinionated actors....SHUT UP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebop

Practically Family
Without getting into politics please....
There is nothing that makes one want to "snuggle up" :) to an actor than the fact that you wonder what this guy or girl really thinks about things. Once I find out how the actor thinks, I want to flog myself for ever thinking there was more to this dolt than their ability to act. They don't have to agree with me. They just have to have some sort of knowledge about their chosen subject. Sean Penn comes to mind. One of the greatest actors in history and then he has to speak his uninformed mind. What a turn off. I am not against speaking your mind. I am against pretending you are an important member of world politics while you murder your point. I really admire the actors that have the "no interviews" mantra like Robert DeNiro. I know why he has it. Because he has very little going on upstairs and does not want anyone to know. But at least we judge him by his craft not by his idiotic statements. I hate seeing DeNiro on Letterman because he gives himself away. Sean Penn should get to acting and stop with the international "I-know-what-to-do-because-I-am-well-known" that makes us look bad abroad. I think the problem is that these guys have way too much time between the million dollar paychecks and doors open too easily for them.
Any thoughts?

It's like celebrity goes to their heads. Lotsa ego and little expertise'll do that every time...

But on the other hand, you've also got people like actor/economist Ben Stein* and actor/lawyer/politician Fred Thompson* (who really DO have some expertise in their fields) helping offset it a little.

*Not playing politics, just that they're the first two trained in anything other than acting and active/semi-active in their "alternate field" that sprang to my mind.

luvthatlulu

Suspended
Hmmmm...

So who exactly do we put in charge of deciding who gets to speak and who doesn't in this new American utopia you're envisioning here, fellows?

luvthatlulu

Suspended
Thanks, Lizzie Maine

LizzieMaine said:
Americans have the right to express any opinion they care to, regardless of who they are or what they know. And Americans also have the right to ignore them.

And with that being said, I'd suggest we end this thread here.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Talent doesn't doesn't always have a brain behind it, so I watch actors on the screen and do my best to ignore them off of it. Makes it easier to enjoy the show.

Lee

The Captain

One of the Regulars
Bebop said:
Without getting into politics please....
There is nothing that makes one want to "snuggle up" :) to an actor than the fact that you wonder what this guy or girl really thinks about things. Once I find out how the actor thinks, I want to flog myself for ever thinking there was more to this dolt than their ability to act. They don't have to agree with me. They just have to have some sort of knowledge about their chosen subject. Sean Penn comes to mind. One of the greatest actors in history and then he has to speak his uninformed mind. What a turn off. I am not against speaking your mind. I am against pretending you are an important member of world politics while you murder your point. I really admire the actors that have the "no interviews" mantra like Robert DeNiro. I know why he has it. Because he has very little going on upstairs and does not want anyone to know. But at least we judge him by his craft not by his idiotic statements. I hate seeing DeNiro on Letterman because he gives himself away. Sean Penn should get to acting and stop with the international "I-know-what-to-do-because-I-am-well-known" that makes us look bad abroad. I think the problem is that these guys have way too much time between the million dollar paychecks and doors open too easily for them.
Any thoughts?

What could you possibly be referring to except a political stance these actors are taking? Lawnmowers, household appliances - cars? I don't think so! Sure, these folks have a bigger pulpit than most, but that's the way it is. It is my personal opinion, if one doesn't like what they're hearing on the radio or TV, they should exercise their editing privilege and turn it off.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
The Captain said:
What could you possibly be referring to except a political stance these actors are taking? Lawnmowers, household appliances - cars? I don't think so!

The actress who shall go unnamed who said she'd kill herself if she was as fat as Marilyn Monroe? [huh]

The young manufactured pop-princess being marketed as "punk" who didn't know who the Ramones were, and couldn't see why it mattered?

Bebop

Practically Family
The Captain said:
What could you possibly be referring to except a political stance these actors are taking? Lawnmowers, household appliances - cars? I don't think so! Sure, these folks have a bigger pulpit than most, but that's the way it is. It is my personal opinion, if one doesn't like what they're hearing on the radio or TV, they should exercise their editing privilege and turn it off.
What I am referring to is the idiotic way of speaking and making their point and how it turns me off the hear how slow brained they are. It surprises me to see how dumb and thoughtless some of these actors are. I never said anything about what he says. Brad Pitt has little to say about politics but I still say he should stay away from interviews. It is almost impossible for him to put a sentence together without sounding like a moron yet he is a good actor. It has to do with brains not political point of views, lawnmowers or cars. It also has little to do with turning your radio or t.v. off because you think someone is stupid. Of course you can do that. You can also just turn your computer off and not respond to what I said.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
The Captain said:

Well said, Captain:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

luvthatlulu

Suspended
No, it wouldn't be me.

Bebop said:
You have made my day. Very funny lol! I suppose it's you that gets to say who speaks and who does not.[huh]

You see, I respect your right to speak your mind...even if I disagree with your views to the depth and breadth of my soul. I didn't spend five and a half years of my life in the uniform and service of this country defending, among other things considerably more important at the time, your right to blather on just so you could so quickly offer to throw that right or anyone else's right away! And, if need be, I'll put the uniform on again and fight you or anyone else to the death to defend your right again. All I ask of you is the willingness, courage, and foresight to extend to me and everyone else the same right. Anyone either of us finds offensive we can always ignore.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Bebop said:
What I am referring to is the idiotic way of speaking and making their point and how it turns me off the hear how slow brained they are. It surprises me to see how dumb and thoughtless some of these actors are. I never said anything about what he says. Brad Pitt has little to say about politics but I still say he should stay away from interviews. It is almost impossible for him to put a sentence together without sounding like a moron yet he is a good actor. It has to do with brains not political point of views, lawnmowers or cars. It also has little to do with turning your radio or t.v. off because you think someone is stupid. Of course you can do that. You can also just turn your computer off and not respond to what I said.

I wonder who's really to blame here. The actors or the media, who hasn't got more brain than to ask theese "celebreties" what they think about anyting and everything....the actors are just being polite - and thinks about their image. The media is to blame in my opinion.:mad:

luvthatlulu

Suspended
Spitfire...

Spitfire said:
I wonder who's really to blame here. The actors or the media, who hasn't got more brain than to ask theese "celebreties" what they think about anyting and everything....the actors are just being polite - and thinks about their image. The media is to blame in my opinion.:mad:

I tend to agree with you that the media often gives uninformed people the opportunity to sound off on matters they are not totally conversant in. But, isn't it equally strange that, when the actors and artists were all in agreement and gung-ho with the majority of us (for example, post 9/11 and Toby Keith's jingoistic "put a boot in your a**" attitude -- by the way, what branch of the military did he finally join?) we applauded and encouraged their efforts. Now, here we stand ready to pull the plug on their voices if they dare to disagree. Amazing. :eusa_doh:

Bebop

Practically Family
luvthatlulu said:
You see, I respect your right to speak your mind...even if I disagree with your views to the depth and breadth of my soul. I didn't spend five and a half years of my life in the uniform and service of this country defending, among other things considerably more important at the time, your right to blather on just so you could so quickly offer to throw that right or anyone else's right away! And, if need be, I'll put the uniform on again and fight you or anyone else to the death to defend your right again. All I ask of you is the willingness to extend to me and everyone else the same right. Anyone either of us finds offensive we can always ignore.
At an attempt to be reasonable, what view of mine do you "disagree with the depth and breadth of your soul"? I had no idea I said anything so profound as to involve the depth and breadth of your soul. I apologize if I sparked a nerve in you. I spent quite some time in uniform also. Why I did so is for another thread. What did I say to make you believe I want to throw anyone's right to speak away? Last thing I want is to silence anyone's point of view. My point had little to do with point of views. You want to put on a uniform and fight me to death to defend my rights? Are you sure you are not an actor? ;)

Bebop

Practically Family
luvthatlulu said:
Excuse me?
You are right. If you put those two sentences together, it sounds as if I speak out of both sides of my piehole ( I sound like a politician at a debate ). You could have quoted "I am not against anyone speaking their mind", "they don't have to agree with me", "I am against the 'I-know-what-to-do-cause-I-am-well-known attitude". I am sorry you don't understand what I say. It's probably my fault for not thinking profoundly enough to make sure I come across as crystal clear as some people need. Maybe instead of "excuse me" you should ask "What does he mean by that?", read the post and realize that I don't want to eliminate opinions from actors or anyone. I think we are on the same side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot