Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Our Fave Cold-Weather Jackets

heron163

One of the Regulars
Good job, and thank you!

Well, I'd first say that our SIZING TIPS on our website do seem to work and that you are on the outside of what would typically work. But there are exceptions that no formula can account for, so I'll present an experienced opinion and you can make your own call on this:

If your actual waist is 36" at it widest point and this is not just a size you where in trousers/jeans, you have a difference of 10" between your waist an chest, which is impressive and also the same difference I have between waist and chest measures; most customers who are 5' 9" tall and weigh 190 lbs. would have a waist measure about 40" or so and would also be fighting the fit in that area as much or more than the chest. Also, most customers at this weight have chest measures of about 44", so the chest is still in reach to fit the size 44.

The math of the jacket and your body is that you would fit in a size 44, no question, in the same way I could wear a size 38 (my chest is 40") and I have done that when I needed to. The size 40 is my choice, and this choice is one that has a bit more to do with the extra length gained in a size 40 vs. a 38. We have a few customers who have a 46" chest measure and who are happy wearing the B-15 jackets from Buzz Rickson's in size 44, so it certainly can be done. But if you are muscular in build, it may create some issues in fit that someone who is not might experience.

My own experience, interestingly, in wearing the size 38 was with a B-15D back when I couldn't get my hands on a size 40 and 38 was all that was available to me and I wanted the style that badly, and as mentioned, the main reason I ended up eventually getting the 40 was for greater length. I have a good friend who has a 46" chest measure and 36" waist measure, muscular in build, and 6' tall, weighing about 215 lbs., and he could wear the size 44, though he chose a 46 in the B-15C when we had that size solely due to the greater room in the shoulder and lats in the 46 and because size 46 was available. The final analysis is that you have a chance to wear this size, but one not better, I'd say, than 50-50.

You indicated you want a roomy fit, too, and I'd say a 44 would give you room, but if we had a 46, that would be "roomy."
The only way we'll know is to try it on you, which is a call only you can make. There won't be any size 46's that I can envision and we are now down to just one size 44 remaining in stock. There you have it ...

Thank you for your thorough analysis. and comments,

yep - It is tough to buy off the rack... I don't like most of the men's offerings in suits for the 10" drop so a suit gets very expensive...

I will take the sage B15D in size 44. Not sure how it compares to a LW B-3 in size 44 but that particular size works for me although I would like a little more in the shoulders...

Brettafett

One Too Many
My go-too cold weather jacket, happens to be my ELC B-10. I have had this since 2005 and absolutely love it. Its been my one and only 'keeper' up until my recent RW1401. I have worn it in some pretty cold weather, with a jumper or thermal under, its toasty. Its one very comfortable jacket - full range of movement with no restriction.
ELC-B-10.jpg

HPA Rep

Vendor
Thank you for your thorough analysis. and comments,

yep - It is tough to buy off the rack... I don't like most of the men's offerings in suits for the 10" drop so a suit gets very expensive...

I will take the sage B15D in size 44. Not sure how it compares to a LW B-3 in size 44 but that particular size works for me although I would like a little more in the shoulders...

I'm sincerely pleased, heron 163, that my input was helpful, and I thank you for your purchase. You are getting the last B-15D in size 44 left in N. America, and Buzz Rickson's have made no indications they will produce this style again due to low popularity in Japan, hence it's absence from their offerings since 2001.

I do think this will work for you even more, now that I know you wear the LW B-3 in size 44, but you are free to return this if it doesn't work out.

I also empathize with you on suit fittings, being in that same league of the 10" drop, and can only do bespoke if I want a really good fit.

HPA Rep

Vendor
Charles, what excellent sizing advice. Perhaps you could help me out too. I'm after a Perry B3, am 6'1" with a 40" chest and a 33" waist.

Do I go for the 40 or 42?! both would be extra long as I'd like a back length around 26-27". I like a trim fit and I have a Real McCoy D1 with a perfect fit which measures 22" p2p...

Any help greatfully received!

Well, you do pose a dilemma. The 40 XL would be about 26" on the back length and the 42 XL about 26.5". Since you seem to like a trim fit in light of the D-1 being 22" across the chest, I' d say the 40 Extra Long. The longs and extra longs are special order and not returnable, so we always strongly encourage customers to try on a regular fitting off the rack first to be sure they like the style and evaluate the overall fit, especially chest shoulders, and body, before going into the non-returnable world.

We have regular fittings in stock if you wish to try one; this slows down the ordering process, but peace of mind can be worth the lost time for most buyers. You can contact me at the office if you have any detailed questions, and orders can go through either the website or over the phone. Our last day is Dec. 23, then we return Jan 5, as does Eastman. Orders placed now will likely be about 6-8 weeks to complete; we may be able to get you in an order scheduled for Jan. 2016 completion if you act quickly.

Please see images below of me wearing the Perry in size 40R. I'm 5' 9" tall, chest 40", waist 30", shirt sleeve 33", weight about 148 lbs., and body type is lean and athletic:
B3-front.jpg

B3-side.jpg
B3-back.jpg

heron163

One of the Regulars
Charles - the B15 arrived today... fantastic jacket! Ricksons nailed it when it comes to the fine details.

I am pleased to say the fit is better than I hoped for when it comes to my somewhat simian dimensions...

looking forward to the MA-1 as well. Is the Gibson version of the B15 ever going to be reproduced again or are they one offs?

thanks

HPA Rep

Vendor
Charles - the B15 arrived today... fantastic jacket! Ricksons nailed it when it comes to the fine details.

I am pleased to say the fit is better than I hoped for when it comes to my somewhat simian dimensions...

looking forward to the MA-1 as well. Is the Gibson version of the B15 ever going to be reproduced again or are they one offs?

thanks

Thank you for the kind update. The B-15D is my fave, and now we're down to just a few in sizes 38-42.

This is awesome news! Delighted to hear that this worked out so well and my gut feeling about fit was correct, as based on the solid info. you provided. This is a classic example that's it's always good for a customer to ask when they see something they like and our SIZING TIPS or a formulaic calculation seem to rule an item out.

I'll be even more pleased when you get the MA-1 and you say you're happy with the fit; this one had me in doubt.:confused:

The BRWG B-15C was a one-timer, though absolutely gorgeous, and relatively popular it proved to be. We'll know in March if this will be offered again, but my guess is it won't. It was the first time a B-15 style was offered in black, so it may appear again down the road, but I'd suspect they'd change something about it the next time, assuming there is a next time, just to make it different.

The item that's been talked about for a while that I'd like to see is an early B-15C in blue, featuring a rust-brown fur collar.

Please enjoy the new toy in good health! And thank you for your valued patronage.

heron163

One of the Regulars
Thank you for the kind update. The B-15D is my fave, and now we're down to just a few in sizes 38-42.

This is awesome news! Delighted to hear that this worked out so well and my gut feeling about fit was correct, as based on the solid info. you provided. This is a classic example that's it's always good for a customer to ask when they see something they like and our SIZING TIPS or a formulaic calculation seem to rule an item out.

I'll be even more pleased when you get the MA-1 and you say you're happy with the fit; this one had me in doubt.:confused:

The BRWG B-15C was a one-timer, though absolutely gorgeous, and relatively popular it proved to be. We'll know in March if this will be offered again, but my guess is it won't. It was the first time a B-15 style was offered in black, so it may appear again down the road, but I'd suspect they'd change something about it the next time, assuming there is a next time, just to make it different.

The item that's been talked about for a while that I'd like to see is an early B-15C in blue, featuring a rust-brown fur collar.

Please enjoy the new toy in good health! And thank you for your valued patronage.

well the MA-1 arrived today...

opening the box and taking a look at and I was floored by the quality of this garment...another hit!

Fit is good - it is slimmer than the B15 as intended but for a long, it really isn't that dramatically different in length it seems. Fits my ape like build very well ( more like a chimp than an orangoutang). I won't be layering much underneath (not that I intended to). I have it on right now with a flannel shirt and a tee under and fit is comfy. I learned a long time ago that buying off the rack and expecting a good fit wasn't in the cards so almost all of my casual clothing is a compromise.

To have the MA-1 fit this well is, well, an xmas gift.

I hope the folks at Rickson's continue to produce such superb articles...

thanks again for the quick ship.

HPA Rep

Vendor
well the MA-1 arrived today...

opening the box and taking a look at and I was floored by the quality of this garment...another hit!

Fit is good - it is slimmer than the B15 as intended but for a long, it really isn't that dramatically different in length it seems. Fits my ape like build very well ( more like a chimp than an orangoutang). I won't be layering much underneath (not that I intended to). I have it on right now with a flannel shirt and a tee under and fit is comfy. I learned a long time ago that buying off the rack and expecting a good fit wasn't in the cards so almost all of my casual clothing is a compromise.

To have the MA-1 fit this well is, well, an xmas gift.

I hope the folks at Rickson's continue to produce such superb articles...

thanks again for the quick ship.

Superb news! This sounds to have worked out better than I expected by quite a good bit. You may indeed rest assured that Buzz Rickson's will continue to produce such high-quality goods and intriguing styles and fits and we will continue to make these readily available to this part of the world.

We'll be previewing and ordering from the Buzz Rickson's regular offerings of outwear in February 2016 for fall 2016 and the Gibson collection will be in March 2016; I can't wait for both of these shows!

Well, I'm glad this had a happy ending as a Christmas gift to yourself. Thank you for being a valued customer; we're proud and pleased to have you on board!

heron163

One of the Regulars
I have the been wearing the MA-1 non stop since receiving it... stealth but getting constantly complimented and asked what it is/where I purchased it... thanks for keeping us posted on the Buzz Rickson offerings for 2016 - looking forward to more great stuff...

HPA Rep

Vendor
I have the been wearing the MA-1 non stop since receiving it... stealth but getting constantly complimented and asked what it is/where I purchased it... thanks for keeping us posted on the Buzz Rickson offerings for 2016 - looking forward to more great stuff...

I'm sincerely delighted to know how pleased your are with the purchase - thank you for the thoughtful post!

We'll be viewing the 2016 f/w collections earlier this year as part of a new system Toyo is implementing to help get these items to the retailers sooner than in the past, so Buzz Rickson's outerwear will now be viewed in Feb. vs. Mar., and William Gibson items will be in Mar. vs. May. I'm not sure if this is good or bad as yet, but I am always interested to see what they will be offering; unfortunately, I was wayyyy too busy in Oct. & Nov. to provide Toyo much input as to what should be offered in 2016, so any interesting ideas I did want to share with them will have to now wait for 2017.

I can't share much of what I will get to see from the 2016 collections until the items are pretty much coming off production, but any little bits I am permitted to divulge will be done so here. Thank you, once again, for your keen enthusiasm.

HPA Rep

Vendor
When you live on the coast, where moisture and humidity are bigger problems than cold, it's wise to look to the Navy for your foul weather gear. My favorite cold weather coat is nothing fancy. It's a 1960 USN peacoat.

AF

Thanks of posting. You look great in the Pea Coat! And what's not to love about a Pea Coat? These are classic, timeless coats that function well for what they are, are immensely flexible in application, and almost always look good, having been manipulated in dozens of ways over the years for men and women and will endure in designer offerings for as long as, at the least, my time on this planet.

We offer the Buzz Rickson's pre-WWII Pea Coat, which ranks well among the most faithful copies available, far exceeding in quality and detailing big-name Pea Coats, some of which sell for significantly more than ours. The Buzz Rickson's Pea Coat is always a top performer each year, and we are down to just a few now left, with all sizes in low single digits.

https://www.historypreservation.com...smc/buzz-ricksons-pre-wwii-u-s-navy-pea-coat/

Scrl_PCoat.jpg

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My go-too cold weather jacket, happens to be my ELC B-10. I have had this since 2005 and absolutely love it. Its been my one and only 'keeper' up until my recent RW1401. I have worn it in some pretty cold weather, with a jumper or thermal under, its toasty. Its one very comfortable jacket - full range of movement with no restriction.
View attachment 40432
The expression on your face says it all. That looks like one supremely comfortable jacket.

jeepjeep13

One of the Regulars
Well, you do pose a dilemma. The 40 XL would be about 26" on the back length and the 42 XL about 26.5". Since you seem to like a trim fit in light of the D-1 being 22" across the chest, I' d say the 40 Extra Long. The longs and extra longs are special order and not returnable, so we always strongly encourage customers to try on a regular fitting off the rack first to be sure they like the style and evaluate the overall fit, especially chest shoulders, and body, before going into the non-returnable world.

We have regular fittings in stock if you wish to try one; this slows down the ordering process, but peace of mind can be worth the lost time for most buyers. You can contact me at the office if you have any detailed questions, and orders can go through either the website or over the phone. Our last day is Dec. 23, then we return Jan 5, as does Eastman. Orders placed now will likely be about 6-8 weeks to complete; we may be able to get you in an order scheduled for Jan. 2016 completion if you act quickly.

Please see images below of me wearing the Perry in size 40R. I'm 5' 9" tall, chest 40", waist 30", shirt sleeve 33", weight about 148 lbs., and body type is lean and athletic:
View attachment 40471
View attachment 40472 View attachment 40473

Hi,
I purchased a pre owned Eastman B3 which was sold to the owner as a 40L and measures about 26.5” in length. The fellow who sold it to me included the receipt from HPA and it only claims that 1/2” was added to the length.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner