Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Padding the sweatband

email68

One of the Regulars
What is the best material to put behind the sweatband to make up for a slightly large hat? Or a new hat that has not shrunk yet?

-Tim

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
The Hatsdirect people (http://www.hatsdirect.com/index.html ) point out that the exact same stuff you buy at the hardware store to prevent drafts around your doors and windows can be used to pad your hat. Just don't remove the backing strip of the foam until you're sure you want to leave it in your hat.

I've used paper towels folded over and over, but the foam pad strips work great.

fmw

One Too Many
The door insulation strips have worked well for me. I have yet to remove the paper from one. They stay behind the sweatband with no problem. I've found that a single thickness of the stuff is about 1/2 a hat size.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Hatsdirect stuff works good for me. I have also used rolled up paper towel, it also helps soak up some sweat on hot summer days.
My two cents worth
Johnny

Some additional cents... I've used felt and thin foam - usually small pieces rather than strips and usually placed toward the back of the sweatband. I am sensitive to stuff pressing against my forehead. I especially like that thin dense packing foam - as long as it's cold weather.

Padding will generally deform the sweatband over time. Tread thoughtfully. As you acquire hats, the ones that needed to be padded to fit will likely be less or seldom worn. If you choose to sell them down the road, the less wear inflicted, the better.

Of course, YMMV.

cheers,
Alan

Engrishman

Familiar Face
Some additional cents... I've used felt and thin foam - usually small pieces rather than strips and usually placed toward the back of the sweatband. I am sensitive to stuff pressing against my forehead. I especially like that thin dense packing foam - as long as it's cold weather.

+ +

I pad my looser hats with packing foam, mainly to ensure they don't fly off my head and into the sea. (Which has actually happened. Lesson Learned: Wear hats inland. Far inland.)

1961MJS

Hi

I pack my hats that needed it with $1.00 bills folder in half the long way. That way you and your hat are always ready to celebrate.

Later

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Felt. The kind you can buy from most arts & crafts sections/stores that come in squares for around or under a dollar a piece (unless you buy some really nice felt squares!).

You may find that a hat requiring padding now may not in a year (or may require less). Materials (sweatbands and hat bodies, for instance) tend to shrink over time and with exposure to various things.

johnnycanuck

Hi

I pack my hats that needed it with $1.00 bills folder in half the long way. That way you and your hat are always ready to celebrate.

Later

Can't do that in Canada. pack the hat with $1 coins and you will get a very heavy hat in no time at all.:eek:
Johnny

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
I've been using a padded strip sold under the name "Cap-Ban-Nu". It is flatter than window stripping, so the sweat does not get bent too far out of shape. I picked up a handful at my local hat shop, but I'm sure you can find them on-line somewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran