Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paint Stripping tips

jayem

A-List Customer
Just recently moved in to an old city apartment built in 1916. Not Golden Era, but it has it's touches. I'm trying to restore at, as some joker with a power paint sprayer completely painted over lots of wonderful features. My first project is stripping the paint off the fully functioning transom window located above the kitchen back door, and stripping the paint off the beautiful brass door knobs. The window has been painted shut for decades (I counted 10 layers of various colored paints, including a dark salmon color at the very base... 50s? 60s?) and I'm finding it hard to completely clean the edges. Any tips, especially on the detailed areas on the door knobs?

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I haven't tried to remove paint from Brass, so I won't comment. Paint remover will take off all of the layers of paint, and you'll want the back door open when you do it. Cover up anything you don't want faded etc. Carpeting, wood floors etc have to be covered so you don't stain them. Ask online at Home Depot, Menard's or Lowe's. They'll tell you what needs to be done. The duffas at the store may or may not have any idea what to do.

Just mu $0.02

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Soaking the brass parts in acetone should do the trick. It's fairly inexpensive and not as toxic as some of the paint strippers out there that contain MEK or other solvents.
Soak the parts in an old coffee can with a secure lid, or some other similar metal container until the paint lifts. Might take a few hours given your description of the layers. For stubborn areas such as inlaid designs, etc., scrub with a soft brass brush.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran