Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pajamas in public...

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The other thing that I notice is when our cream of the crop wears just a t-shirt to walk down the street only to go to the bar. I mean it's a good mile from the dorms!

What ever... I know I did the same when I was a kid and I also know that more than once I ended up sick as a dog.

They are planning on burning the illness out with liquor.

rue

"But some residents are bothered by the idea of banning pajamas in public. Tracy Carter, a resident of Shreveport, told the Times she and her three young children wear pajamas in public often. “I can get out of the bed and go to the store, and they’re covering everything,” she said. “I’ve got a 3-year-old, a 5-year-old and a 12-year old to deal with.”

Are you freakin' kidding me?! That has got to be one of the dumbest statements I have ever read.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
"But some residents are bothered by the idea of banning pajamas in public. Tracy Carter, a resident of Shreveport, told the Times she and her three young children wear pajamas in public often. “I can get out of the bed and go to the store, and they’re covering everything,” she said. “I’ve got a 3-year-old, a 5-year-old and a 12-year old to deal with.”

Are you freakin' kidding me?! That has got to be one of the dumbest statements I have ever read.

Such an attitude is frighteningly common, I'm afraid.

L-A-Z-Y

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

I could maybe see that statement with 3 kids under the age of say like 4 (imagine triplet toddlers). Then I can see the mom being dressed but lucky that she's able to convince her 3 toddlers to keep their PJs on at all. I have a lot of sympathy for moms with a lot of little ones or with a baby and a young toddler(s).

But what happened to "12-year-old! Dress your little brother!" If your 12-year old kid can't dress themselves or a younger sibling, there's a problem. I was baby sitting non-relatives at 12. Never mind that five-year-olds should be able to dress themselves with a little supervision.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Whether right or wrong, defining pajamas and when they're allowed to be worn isn't something the government should get involved in.

While I agree, the government does already define what is appropriate dress within state and federal buildings and to a certain extent, in public. Hence why some areas don't allow women (or men for that matter) to be topless.

I caught that too. As a parent with a 5year old and a three year old, I can tell you that it isn't all that much trouble to get them up, showered and dressed for school in an hour---myself included. The problem there is just plain laziness. No pride in their appearance and, unfortunately, no shame. Even making that statement to a reporter is declasse at the least. If I can do it then so can they. My five year old dresses himself and knows already that pajamas are for in the house not shopping. The three year old can almost dress himself as well. What is this woman raising, a bunch of helpless waifs?!:eusa_doh: You're a parent. Be one and set an example. No one forced you to become a parent but now that you are, the onus is on you. :mad::rolleyes:

Some of the more interesting comments:

"Are you kidding me? This is the most sissy looking stuff on a guy I have ever seen, and my testosterone level is rather low compared to most guys." :eusa_clap

"Is it ever OK to wear pyjamas to work? If you are a pyjama model, yes. Otherwise, no."

"Bollocks. Hairy legs and silk don't mix. I suppose if one shaves..." :rofl:

"In Dublin we have 'pyjamas girls'. They wear different pjs leaving the house than the ones that they sleep in."

"the pyjama craze in liverpool is not just a simple case of female slovenlyness but a subversive sartorial rebuke to the protestant work ethic that dictates the dignity of labour for the working classes yet ignores the dressing gown indolence of the aristocracy. in a city where the black economy provides a parallel employment sub-structure unbound by traditional 9 to 5 time restrictions, the pyjamas and curlers look celebrates the hedonistic nonchalence of the young, scouse female preparing for a nocturnal soiree untainted by bougeois notions of stylistic or cultural orthodoxies. or something." :confused::confused::confused:

"Have children. Then you are allowed to completely forget any notions of being stylish. And best of all if you don't forget, you can't afford. Win - win" :doh:

"I've seen them sitting outside the shops throwing food at passers-by whilst wearing pyjamas at 7pm on a winter night. The advent of floral wellies meant they could co-ordinate their pyjamas with weatherproof footwear and go out in the snow, too."

"Doesn't this just show that British people are getting lazier and giving less of a f*** about how they look?"

"Going out in pyjamas is OK but you mustn't open the door in them and do an elephant impression"

"Is it ever OK to wear adult onesie pyjamas to work? Only if you are a clown"

"Saw three girls in PJs in my local Tesco convenience store Sunday morning. No-one said anything to them. Everyone pretended not to notice. The silent assumption seemed to be that they were the offspring of ageing chavs or escapees from a juvenile detention centre. I feel such a clod now. How could I not realize as I bought my Racing Post and carton of milk that here was cutting edge fashion parading before my bleary eyes? To think I felt sorry for them!" :rofl:

Last edited:

Pompidou

One Too Many

After reading the article further, it seems this law was prompted by a man flashing walmart shoppers in pajamas. I look at the outerwear forums and fear for all you trench coat lovers. For that matter, we'd best pray nobody flashes the public in a suit, or you'll have to wear, gasp, jeans, when visiting Louisiana.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24