Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

A follow-up to Rick Blaine's post above from the new owner of the mysterious ventilated Brighton Hat. My search for Brighton Hats and Rain-Leigh have come up empty so far (I hope my skilled Google searcher friends here will show us more), but I did have success with the patent referenced inside the hat. US 2026392 is a patent for a process to make an "imitation Bangkok hat" with water resistant properties. The material appears to to be paper fiber, woven in a very tight weave and then treated with a chemical bath to make the final product waterproof and washable. This patent is referenced in subsequent (1954, 1956) patents by Frank Lee and Hat Corporation of America. Is it 1930s or 1950s? Read on...

The hat weighs 3.1 ounces, measures 4 1/2" to the top of the optimo ridge and has a 2 1/4" brim. The form, dimensions and some elements of manufacture feel 1930s. I wasn't sure...

rain-leigh1.jpg

rain-leigh2.jpg

rain-leigh3.jpg

rain-leigh4.jpg

rain-leigh5.jpg

rain-leigh6.jpg

rain-leigh7.jpg

rain-leigh8.jpg

... until I found a small wad of paper tightly folded underneath the sweatband at the front of the hat. Thank goodness for small headed men!

rain-leigh9.jpg

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Not sure of the patent numbers. Many years ago I sent a day on the computer tracing the origins of the Bankaru, Bangora, Balibuntal, Baku and Toyo hats of the Far East. These photos were some of the machines that would weave the paper hats that helped bring an end to the handmade Baku of talipot palm and the buntal hats of buri Palm.

A follow-up to Rick Blaine's post above from the new owner of the mysterious ventilated Brighton Hat. My search for Brighton Hats and Rain-Leigh have come up empty so far (I hope my skilled Google searcher friends here will show us more), but I did have success with the patent referenced inside the hat. US 2026392 is a patent for a process to make an "imitation Bangkok hat" with water resistant properties. The material appears to to be paper fiber, woven in a very tight weave and then treated with a chemical bath to make the final product waterproof and washable. This patent is referenced in subsequent (1954, 1956) patents by Frank Lee and Hat Corporation of America. Is it 1930s or 1950s? Read on...

The hat weighs 3.1 ounces, measures 4 1/2" to the top of the optimo ridge and has a 2 1/4" brim. The form, dimensions and some elements of manufacture feel 1930s. I wasn't sure...
... until I found a small wad of paper tightly folded underneath the sweatband at the front of the hat. Thank goodness for small headed men!

rain-leigh9.jpg

Wow! Great story, and a great piece to add to your collection. Congratulations are in order, Alan.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Fantastic machine, thanks for posting that Vic. Also glad the hat went to you Alan, it was very tempting to me as well but I'm trying to remain a hat wearer rather than a hat collector. It's a fine line I may have already crossed though ;)

When you think about it, a waterproof "straw" hat makes perfect sense in the tropical climates they were worn it.

Denton

One of the Regulars
Great hat, Alan! It's amazing to me how nice some of the early paper straws can be. I'm also thinking of a hat from the 1920s belonging to Garret, and Mikespens's burlap hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW