Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

RJR

I stumbled upon this while looking for something else....
2qbrtyp.jpg

Here is a link to who is selling it......
https://www.gentlemansemporium.com/store/006213.php?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=ecn&utm_campaign=ecn

I might have bought one just for fun, if the price was lower...
Very cool.

TheManInTheHat

One of the Regulars
image.png
image.png
image.png

This is an important article. If you read the detail, it blows away the often-regurgitated myth that Theodore Roosevelt popularised the Panama. In fact, as reported variously since 1900, Panamas were all the rage with everyone except Roosevelt, who stubbornly refused to give up his signature slouc h hat. When he finally relented (1906?) a lot of the resultant coverage had an undertone of "Well finally, Mr President!

TheManInTheHat

One of the Regulars
View attachment 54349 View attachment 54349 View attachment 54349

This is an important article. If you read the detail, it blows away the often-regurgitated myth that Theodore Roosevelt popularised the Panama. In fact, as reported variously since 1900, Panamas were all the rage with everyone except Roosevelt, who stubbornly refused to give up his signature slouc h hat. When he finally relented (1906?) a lot of the resultant coverage had an undertone of "Well finally, Mr President!

Sorry loungers; in my excitement, I mistakenly uploaded the relevant extract 3 times...

AndyR

One of the Regulars
Sorry loungers; in my excitement, I mistakenly uploaded the relevant extract 3 times...

You should be able to go back in and edit your post to remove the duplicate uploads. Click the 'edit' button in the lower left (below your avatar) and then click 'save changes' after you have edited.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Well, Mrs FedOregon would not leave me alone until I went over to our local Fire Dept to grab an application for the Life Flight helicopter "amubulance" service insurance plan... but they were closed for a few minutes so I walked down the highly interesting 3rd Street here in McMinnville and stopped into an antique shop. Walked around, saw an overpriced hat box and a few too small and uninteresting hats for men and boys...

Then, on the way out... wait, what is this??? On a wall with hats for women, could it be? Oh yes, a vintage Dobbs Summerlite Regency. The grosgrain sweatband also has the name of the store, Meier and Frank Co., Portland, Oregon. Only the ribbon is an add on. It's a tight weave Montecristi, size 7 for Mrs or daughter... by my count it looks like about 19-20 rows squared, so 361-400 wpsi. A nice little hat for $15.

Pics later if I can manage the process...

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I'm tempted to send this down to VS and have Art spruce it and correctly place a ribbon on it for my daughter or wife...

This is the front. Kind of looks like the original Indiana Jones "turn" we see in the Raiders of the Lost Ark. ;)

i-bhx5QF9-L.jpg

i-Pz7NmMm-L.jpg

i-Q2Nx9cc-L.jpg

i-2dv3P57-L.jpg

i-zSwZfP5-L.jpg

i-KxG4tKS-L.jpg

i-fFjKDvF-XL.jpg

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Interesting item regarding the ladies hat I posted above. I was looking under the sweatband and found that this hat was made in 2 parts, the brim and the crown, and then sewn together when the sweatband was put into place.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I've not seen it before in the 5 Panama hats I've purchased while in Ecuador, or in stacks of bodies at the Homero Ortega factory in Cuenca. Maybe it's more common in women's hats?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy