Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Good morning. Our recent 19" of snow has me being challenged in my optimism that warmer weather is coming. By the calender, it is coming. I am preping summer hats and need some assistance.

Here is the tip of a vintage Penny's Marathon straw hat. Fabric tape to secure the crack? If yes, a brand of preference?

i-FzJvdqn-M.jpg

Thanks in advance. Best, Eric -

Good morning. Our recent 19" of snow has me being challenged in my optimism that warmer weather is coming. By the calender, it is coming. I am preping summer hats and need some assistance.

Here is the tip of a vintage Penny's Marathon straw hat. Fabric tape to secure the crack? If yes, a brand of preference?

i-FzJvdqn-M.jpg

Thanks in advance. Best, Eric -

Eric, I have closed up such gaps with an appropriate colored wood glue with good success. I think Esther has mentioned book binding glue.

Eric, I have closed up such gaps with an appropriate colored wood glue with good success. I think Esther has mentioned book binding glue.
Plus one on either. If you need flexibility the book binding glue is the best. For hard straws I use the wood glue....
M
PS In addition to the glue you can always back it with a bit of appropriate colored fabric tape plus the glue for a strong repair.

Last edited:

Jerry Probst

One of the Regulars
I have been trying to solidify weave patterns in my head. I have some confusion because I find some terms used online by various sources in vague and ambiguous ways.

So, in the interest of clearing up my confusion, could someone please post some pictures of: Brisa, cuenca, Montecristi, and cuenca llano, patterns and give a brief description of each?

Thank you

I have been trying to solidify weave patterns in my head. I have some confusion because I find some terms used online by various sources in vague and ambiguous ways.

So, in the interest of clearing up my confusion, could someone please post some pictures of: Brisa, cuenca, Montecristi, and cuenca llano, patterns and give a brief description of each?

Thank you

Hi Jerry;

If I were looking to make this comparison, I might start by perusing the pages of a good online vendor. Panama Hats Direct, Brent Black, Tom Perez, among others. You will have the greatest variety with clear presentation to clarify any confusion. AND you'll see some great hats!

Have fun!!

P.S. Don't be concerned about the weave patterns in your head. They should dissipate with time. Weave ALL had those...

Jerry Probst

One of the Regulars
Panama Ibarra Weave 2.jpg
Panama Ibarra Weave 1.jpg
Panama Ibarra Weave 1.jpg
P.S. Don't be concerned about the weave patterns in your head. They should dissipate with time. Weave ALL had those...[/QUOTE said:
Speaking of weave patterns in my head ... I was at a Chinese restaurant the other day and my fortune read: "Your head is full of cobwebs. Better get a broom."

Regarding my question I did check the online sources and was unable to find the answer I'm looking for. So, let me rephrase the question to get to my confusion. I know the difference between a [diamond} Brisa weave and a [herringbone] Cuenca weave.

What I want to know is which one is used to make the Montecristi weave?

I have read conflicting descriptions. Some say Brisa and some say Cuenca.

I recently picked up a fedora described as "grade 20" Panama Fedora. I would like to know where it fits on the quality spectrum. It is clearly a Cuenca weave. At what point is a hat considered a Llano Cuenca or a Montecristi?

I'm still on the prowl to find a really good quality Panama hat and this knowlege will help me in my search.

Last edited:

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For one thing, geography. Cuenca is a city in the mountains, and Montescristi is a coastal town.

Grade 20 loosely means the weave is 40x40 = 1600 weaves per square inch (WPSI). As you have found, grades and weaves and other terms are thrown around whimsically. I bought a grade 12 Cuenca body, wghich should be about 24x24 WPSI, but this one is closer to 22x22:

i-gkwJ2m9-X3.jpg

This is a Super Fino Montesristi, but also a ventilado or semi-calado, with 26x26 wpsi:

i-QH8z4BX-X3.jpg

i-JNjZdn9-X3.jpg

If you haven't already read this information, I suggest doing so:

https://www.brentblack.com/panama-hat-grades-explained.html

Jerry Probst

One of the Regulars
For one thing, geography. Cuenca is a city in the mountains, and Montescristi is a coastal town.

Thank you for the excellent photos.

Am I right, all of these hats are essentially variations of Cuenca weave? I see the herringbone pattern in them.

If, so then am I correct that the Montecristi hat is essentially a very fine Cuenca weave?

That answers my original question.

Much appreciated.

Tukwila

Thank you for the excellent photos.

Am I right, all of these hats are essentially variations of Cuenca weave? I see the herringbone pattern in them.

If, so then am I correct that the Montecristi hat is essentially a very fine Cuenca weave?

That answers my original question.

Much appreciated.
I would not make that assumption. A fine weave Cuenca may be a copy of a Montecristi. A llano weave, imo, is more of a traditional Cuenca weave. If you look at the weave examples on the Brent Black site, you'll see some very fine weave that you just don't find in Cuenca... upwards of 2000 wspi.

https://www.brentblack.com/montecristi-panama-hat-prices.html

Let me say, also, a super fine weave Panama hat is not something most people want on a super hot day; no airflow. A loose weave is much better and a ventilado is wonderful; your sweat feels like an air conditioner with every breeze that comes along.

Jerry Probst

One of the Regulars
Let me say said:
Thanks ... well, that gets me to the nub. This is what I'm looking for.

How about I tell you what I am looking for and you make a suggestion?

I often work in hot humid conditions. I am a big guy who tends to sweat in response to humidity.

I want a hat that I can pack in my luggage that is both light and breathable yet durable enough to stand up to daily use.

Except for packablity, many straw hats will work.

I have a couple nice straw hats but I'm looking for that one all-around hat that fills all needs.

Tukwila

Honestly, as much as I love a good straw hat, if I had to treat a hat rough (and pack it in a bag) I'd go for a vented summer hat from Outdoor Research, Tilley, etc.

Lots of sweat isn't that great for a straw hat, either, and for the money you'd pay for a nice straw hat I don't think I'd want to expose it to the salty sweat on a constant basis.

Jerry Probst

One of the Regulars
Honestly, as much as I love a good straw hat, if I had to treat a hat rough (and pack it in a bag) I'd go for a vented summer hat from Outdoor Research, Tilley, etc.

Lots of sweat isn't that great for a straw hat, either, and for the money you'd pay for a nice straw hat I don't think I'd want to expose it to the salty sweat on a constant basis.

True ... but I like to style too. :)

jeepjeep13

One of the Regulars
Two questions;
1) Does anyone have any suggestions how to clean the sweat off of a panama hat or should I just go about and buy a new one? I wear mine to play golf and work outside and its gotten kinda brown in some spots.
2) Where does one buy a decent weave optimo panama? The last one I purchased (the one now with sweat stains haha) was at a cigar shop in Naples years ago and I don't love the idea of buying one online without trying it on first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran