Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
PB, thanks for the brim edges photos - was always wondering how these were finished.

A. Natural finished Montecristi?

NikonJune2009003-2.jpg

B. Cut and stitched?

NikonJune2009007.jpg

Reactions: DRB

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Beatiful man! Same brim edge as mine but yours is woven tighter. Really nice.
Mine I guess is Brisa weave. Thanks for sharing!
Aureliano-
ps
do you own any brisa weave? Pics?

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
CB, those are real nice 'wearers'. Even the one with a stitched edge is a nice, even weave with good ironing. Smooth, good looking hats at a weave count which makes them not too fragile but not cheap looking either.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks Aureliano and Gene. Do not own a Brisa. Gene both are stitched.

And to be honest I guess I didn't know the aesthetic value. I mean to me they are beautiful, but, the Stetson is a "beater". I have to go to florida next week on business. The Stetson goes because if it rains "oh well". It is a grade 8 "whatever" that means.:rolleyes:

IMG_0875_edited-1.jpg

I let my 3 year old pose with it. Am I nutz?

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Ah, up until recently I didn't know that the stitched brim (upwards)
was sort of a detriment in the value of a hat.
I can understand the weaving factor.
Gene pointed out a few valid things about my Borsalino and we both agreed that it wasn't an expensive looking hat.
Having said that, in spite of the Brisa weave with its tiny holes and the stitched brim, I sort of love it. Don't even consider it a " beater" yet.
Funny things happen when I wear my borsalinos.
This Cuenca in question gets far, way far more compliments than my espinal ( marcial, not Simon) montecristi. And my flimsy, way too tappered brown new Borsalino gets much more attention than my gorgeous trionfo vintage. Weird...

Btw, and please don't take this the wrong way, it's Aureliano, not Aurelio ;)

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Well, that's not too surprising, Aureliano. It takes two sides of the equation for manufacturers to decide to market and sell certain products. Over time, tastes from the general public seem to have run to lower, more tapered crowns - and interest in certain details and quality criteria have faded into the past. Afficionados, if you will, are still preoccupied with weave style, brim edge treatments, etc., but of the relatively small number of people interested in hats, even fewer still are knowledgeable. This causes it to make understandable business sense for manufacturers to deal in lower grade goods than they did or would have 50 years ago and more. People not only accept Big Macs as food, they seem to actually want them. [huh]

Even though I am knowledgeable (thanks to TFL) I have all grades of Panamas and felt hats and I enjoy them for their individual merits. It's like my father used to say about women, "They're all beautiful, just some are better".

:)

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Thanks or your point if view. I'm learning a lot too through TFL and you, in thus particular issue. Love your father's quote!
Could you post a picture of a Brisa style?

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
New Panama...

Hi Guys,
Here, this is the hat I bought this afternoon. Forgive the crappy pictures. I had to use an old camera because the wife took the good one on a trip. I'm going to post pictures of my other straws after this.

DSC04063.jpg

DSC04064.jpg

DSC04065.jpg

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
My other straws...

Here are a couple of better pictures of the Borsalino Brisa we've been discussing.
It might not be a masterpiece but I love it! (it has great memories of my honeymoon in Italia)

DSC04066.jpg

DSC04067.jpg

next is my dad's (RIP) montecristi wich he gave me when I left my country 10 years ago. He owned it for several years. I remember him telling me he bought it around 1980! I was only 1 year old at that time. I just can't take a good shot of the weaving. It is TIGHT and the closer I get the camera to try to achive a shot the blurriest it gets. Any advise on how to take a good picture of the weave?

[
DSC04069.jpg

DSC04073.jpg

And last but not least my Optimo

DSC04076.jpg

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Thanks WineGuy, I love it too, and that's what made me pick it up. It is a Worth & Worth from NYC. They have a website, just google it.
Aureliano-

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
AlanC said:
Group shot of my VS blocked Montecristis:

p1014425.jpg
Alan, those are spectacular Montecristis! I've been on the edge of my first Art creation for a while now, and I think you've bumped me over that edge--I've just contacted him about a Montecristi. Could you share the stats on the center hat in the photo--crown height and brim width? While I tend to go for wider brims, that hat is particularly fantastic. Beautiful collection!
Thanks,
Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff