Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

WineGuy

A-List Customer
A thought on Panama vs Felt...

Hi gents, thought I'd chime in. I've gotten a crash course in hats over the last three months thanks to conversations with PB, AF and BB and came to the conclusion that in each material a man should have at least two hats.

With Panama's you need at a minimum a "good" day to day Cuenca or Azogues with a nice block that you won't cry over if it gets dirty, stolen or lost. Then you also want a Montecristi Fino or better for it's beauty, it's potential to be an heirloom, and lastly to continue the market demand for the better weavers so that this precious art form does not die away.

Similarly, with felt Fedora's, a good Indy or ebay vintage special is a must for just grabbing a hat in the cooler months when you are just going out on the cheap and a VS Art Fawcett custom hat is for just feeling great about yourself, telling yourself you've earned this, and for putting on the Ritz.

Buying a Montecristi fino or better is like buying a fine mechanical Swiss watch in that every so often you will find yourself staring at the hand made details of the manufacturing and marveling that in this digital day and age of plastics and mass production, there are still things of beauty that only human hands can make.

BTW: As a wine professional I couldn't agree more with daizawaguy's analogy to wine. My shop carries wines from $8 to $4000 per bottle, I bring home for myself $10-40 wines for day to day drinking but there is definitely more enjoyment in a premium $100 bottle if you are into it, some people aren't and that's okay too.

WineGuy

A-List Customer
Re: Blocking for CRH

CRH said:
I am curious and I think my next Panama will arrive unblocked :eusa_clap.

I look good in any hat with a brim :p.

Muchos gracias, Robert, for the info.

Hi CRH,

I would definitely go "unblocked". I received a gorgeous blocked Montecristi Fino from PB, but my head shape caused the brim to go wavy as soon as i put it on. I bit the bullet and I'm having Art re-block the hat to my own shape which he gets from a clever "conformer" devise he sends you. You also get to choose your block style, sweat band and hat band(from which Art has an amazing collection of vintage material to choose from) to get a truly one-of-a-kind hat.

Just factor it into your budget, besides, an unblocked hat is usually cheaper anyway.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
WineGuy said:
...I bring home for myself $10-40 wines for day to day drinking but there is definitely more enjoyment in a premium $100 bottle if you are into it...

I need a $40 bottle of wine to match my $40 hat. Maybe I need a $100 bottle to match my $100 sunglasses.

I'd reckon a $40 cigar and a $40 bottle of wine would fit in nicely with this $40 hat.

hpim0944v.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
IndyCop and family came to visit the HPG household today. Indy brought along a Panama Bob hat that was distorting due to his long oval head shape so I fixed it up for him.

Befores:
DSC_0017.jpg

(Oh no, I posted a pic of IC doing what could only be described as smiling. He's going to have to kill me now!)
DSC_0018.jpg

I put in a Hat Jack to simulate the distortion and then dampened the brim. With weights (books) and hand shaping I was able to get the brim to relax. Off camera, my gal Nicki is applying some dry heat with a hair dryer on low setting to re-stiffen the brim and set the shape.
DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

Afters:
DSC_0026.jpg

(Checking it out in the mirror)
DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Gene that's not a smile.;) That's a grin, which for me means we snuck in on the backroads off the beaten path and made it inside your lair!:eek: lol lol :D

Seriously the shaping worked good enough that I think I will get a cheap optimo crown from PB and see how it goes.:D
Thanks Gene, for fixin it and having us over!

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
HarpPlayerGene said:
"Indy brought along a Panama Bob hat that was distorting due to his long oval head shape so I fixed it up for him. I put in a Hat Jack to simulate the distortion and then dampened the brim. With weights (books) and hand shaping I was able to get the brim to relax. "

BRILLIANT! I`ve now doing that to my Panama that I have tried everything on up to now to correct the brim distortion. Just 10 min and it seems its going to work!! Leave it overnight and see what happens...thanks!!:eusa_clap

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Note that what you're really trying to achieve is a stretch of the outside circumference of the brim. Carefully work the brim edge in order to flatten it some and relax the flanging some without flattening it too much or overly stressing the straw. Keep dampening it as you go because it dries quickly. The tricky part is that when you get it flattened a little in one or two areas, it is flipping up in other areas. It's like playing 'Whack-A-Mole"! lol

Then, once the brim is relaxed a touch, the hairdryer is for setting the overall desired shape. You'll wish you had extra hands for this too.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
That's great, Gene!

I wanted to chime in about the child labor mentioned earlier.

The kids that we buy from work when they want to and it's to buy candy bards, gym shoes, school supplies, etc. More importantly, it's to carry on the craft in their families. As with anything else in Ecuador, whether it be whaling tours or taffy making, you'll see the whole family involved in some way or another. It isn't a sweatshop setting.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Panamabob said:
That's great, Gene!

I wanted to chime in about the child labor mentioned earlier.

The kids that we buy from work when they want to and it's to buy candy bards, gym shoes, school supplies, etc. More importantly, it's to carry on the craft in their families. As with anything else in Ecuador, whether it be whaling tours or taffy making, you'll see the whole family involved in some way or another. It isn't a sweatshop setting.

Just the picture of your family business that I've had in mind. My earlier post was meant to be tongue-in-cheek and so was the teasing that I've received. I think it's good for business to have such things up front and out in the open, though :).

Now, what kind of weave is Indycops, Panama? I believe that's the hat he won in a monthly drawing.

There is a nicely done Panama in my future. I'll be hanging around.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Pedigree Panama w/Pug

3676099106_385e20f56f_b.jpg

3664521082_5c1058b2e6.jpg
3676099474_94e57e17e8_b.jpg

3675287283_0d0efd3748_b.jpg
3676099744_a959e14c3e.jpg
3676099942_098f717abf.jpg
3675288155_bd74dd3319.jpg

A very pleasant surprise received today. For $38.00 expectations were not high. Unlike the ebay photo, the Pug was Navy not Maroon. After applying some of the above described In-"Gene"-ious techniques the brim isn't bad.

Reactions: DRB

rlk

I'll Lock Up
WineGuy said:

Nice, tight Brisa weave and the sweat band looks well made and perfectly sewn in. Overall a real great day-to-day hat...congrats.

Did the $38 include shipping?

I did pay $10.00 for shipping but this included a decent hat box with its insert.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoEllis