Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Need help dating this one

IMG_2096.jpg

IMG_2097.jpg

IMG_2098.jpg

IMG_2101.jpg

IMG_2102.jpg

IMG_2103.jpg

CRH

Call Me a Cab
indycop said:
I posted this in the new hats thread but it really belongs here. Not an expensive one but whatever he did it beats the long oval curse!:D ...

GEDC0801-1.jpg

Excellent! But it's going to be hard to find shoes in your size that color match that bow, especially wingtips ;).

Is that an Ecuadoran or U.S. blocked hat?

GClark

One of the Regulars
Wavy brims

What do you guys think about wavy brims - do you like the stiff more regular brims, or the more floppy variety. My Panama Bob (decent hat, about 275 wpsi) has developed a very floppy, wavy brim.

PAOnBoat.jpg

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I personally hate wavy brims. As a matter of fact, I just spent about 45 minutes reshaping the left side of one of my straws that gets wavy because of the shape of my head. But then again there are hats like this that look just right. My wife sent me this picture: Looks like a Montecristi to me, and pretty wavy and slopy looking! beautiful though.
Sir20Sean20Connery20For20Louis20Vui.jpg

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I hear you man. I feel the same way. Put a paper cone on his head and he'll make it look like the finest $10.000 Montecristi.:p

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Panamabob said:
You can iron it out. I think I'd get a hold of Art Fawcett about some flange work and stiffener.

That's what I did! I iron it and steamed it. I shaped it so when I'm not wearing the hat, the left side looks a little wavy but when I put it on, like magic, it becomes straight!:cool2:

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
I also vote for the NON wavy brim.......

IMHO the hat is too classy looking to have the brim detract from it....

Maybe if you put on a goofy looking ribbon and wear it with a torn T shirt and ragged shorts ...

Just my two cents

WineGuy

A-List Customer
No Waves!

The great Montecristi fino I got from PB started to wave the second I put it on, it's over with Art right now for reblocking to my head shape which, from what I've read on the forum, is the only real way to get the waves out. As many of you have said, If I looked like Sir Sean, then waves would look cool.

PBMEH.jpg

Reactions: DRB

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
There are reasons why I steer people to USA blocking. We're going to start working on more stiffener and better finishing on Ecuador hats, but if anyone here has lived or worked in Ecuador, excuse me, please Aureliano, but you know what I can say about quality and work ethic of the common man within its bounds. And, yes, I've lived there so I feel I can speak my mind.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Panamabob said:
There are reasons why I steer people to USA blocking. We're going to start working on more stiffener and better finishing on Ecuador hats, but if anyone here has lived or worked in Ecuador, excuse me, please Aureliano, but you know what I can say about quality and work ethic of the common man within its bounds. And, yes, I've lived there so I feel I can speak my mind.

How dare you Bob! ;) I'm kidding;) I sadly have to agree with you. Work ethics are indeed questionable in certain working areas. Corruption is an ailment that sickens all south America. In Ecuador it begins at the presidency. But that is another subject. A few days ago I was speaking with another reputable hat maker/dealer here in the US about a trip I'm taking to visit my family in Quito and the possibility of going to Pile to get a hat. He agreed with you Bob that is better to have them blocked here.
As for adding stiffener to Montecristi hats that, in my opinion, is a blasphemy (and I don't even believe in god) I think is detrimental to the value of a fine hat, it takes away that beautiful light, linen-like feeling and adds weight and a very annoying crunchy-crispy sound when you handle it. As Art and Brent Black and Orlando Palacios have said endlessly to me (and I cannot agree more with them) the trick to a perfect Montecristi is to custom block. I own, as you Bob already know, a very old Montecristi that belonged to my dad. That hat has seen everything but has never lost shape. Of course when my dad gave it to me I had it re blocked to my head shape here in NY.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Panamabob said:
"No stiffener!", the man said with his fingers crossed behind his back and a wink for his partner when you turned your back.

The no stiffener thing is my opinion as I stated on the previous post. None of the people I mentioned on my last post said anything regarding stiffener. They did say that custom shape blocking a hat is the best way to go for shape preservation. Just to clarify.

High Pockets

Practically Family
Aureliano said:
I personally hate wavy brims. As a matter of fact, I just spent about 45 minutes reshaping the left side of one of my straws that gets wavy because of the shape of my head. But then again there are hats like this that look just right. My wife sent me this picture: Looks like a Montecristi to me, and pretty wavy and slopy looking! beautiful though.
Sir20Sean20Connery20For20Louis20Vui.jpg

Man some people can make a bad looking hat look awesome!

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
WineGuy said:
The great Montecristi fino I got from PB started to wave the second I put it on, it's over with Art right now for reblocking to my head shape which, from what I've read on the forum, is the only real way to get the waves out. As many of you have said, If I looked like Sir Sean, then waves would look cool.

PBMEH.jpg

Now that wine collection Sir beats your hat by far!

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
GClark said:
What do you guys think about wavy brims - do you like the stiff more regular brims, or the more floppy variety. My Panama Bob (decent hat, about 275 wpsi) has developed a very floppy, wavy brim.

PAOnBoat.jpg

I feel your pain, man. I've got one old Panama that just will not behave. It looks very much like yours. I'm good with reshaping straw hats and I can usually make brims stay the way I want. Out of a dozen Panamas this one is just permanently wonky. I can straighten it out and let it dry but then when I wear it for an hour it's back to the big floppy wave. So I've just relegated that one to a yard work hat and rely on others to be for more stylish wear.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HarpPlayerGene said:
I feel your pain, man. I've got one old Panama that just will not behave. It looks very much like yours. I'm good with reshaping straw hats and I can usually make brims stay the way I want. Out of a dozen Panamas this one is just permanently wonky. I can straighten it out and let it dry but then when I wear it for an hour it's back to the big floppy wave. So I've just relegated that one to a yard work hat and rely on others to be for more stylish wear.

Gene it seems there is always one in the crowd. I have a panama that no matter how i try to "train" the brim it looks like the hat is cocked to one side.

My beater panama behaves better than this one but i enjoy wearing it. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred