Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

WineGuy

A-List Customer
Can't argue with Carlisle Blues about going to a pro...I just had Art Fawcett re-block my PB Montecristi Fino and replace both bands...great results and worth every penny.

As for the Lexol eating through old leather...I'm too much of a novice to argue the point but all I know is it worked great on the leather sweatbands on two hats that were about 60 years old. Picards leather treatment is another option.

GClark

One of the Regulars
HarpPlayerGene said:
I feel your pain, man. I've got one old Panama that just will not behave. It looks very much like yours. I'm good with reshaping straw hats and I can usually make brims stay the way I want. Out of a dozen Panamas this one is just permanently wonky. I can straighten it out and let it dry but then when I wear it for an hour it's back to the big floppy wave. So I've just relegated that one to a yard work hat and rely on others to be for more stylish wear.

Thanks Gene -

I tried ironing, and this is about as good as i can get it. Don't know how long it will stay before it goes back to the "big wave".

here are the before and after...

The Wave
PAOnBoat.jpg

After a bit of ironing with a damp cloth...

SanDiego_hat.jpg

Reactions: DRB

WineGuy

A-List Customer
I agree with you Carlisle Blues, as I mentioned earlier, a new sweat band and re-blocking is the best but most costly way to go. Gclarks hat is waving because of his head shape is fighting the block of the hat in my opinion, just as mine did. Using a conformer from Art allowed him to block my hat exactly to my shape so when i received it back it slid on perfectly with no more waves.

pretzel

New in Town
Hi all...I've been lurking here for a while gathering some great information - nice site you have here. I thought I'd finally post with a question (I have a lot):

I recently acquired a Champ Panama hat - not the finest weave, but nice quality hat. I bought this hat because I was looking for a straw counterpart to the Champ Featherweight I inherited from my Uncle. It has a similar crown, but I don't care for the hat band it currently has. I'm thinking of ordering a horsehair band from Ecuadormall.com - has anybody experience ordering from them, and, if so, was it a positve or negative experience?

Also, it needs a little stretching...I've read that Lexol might cause problems with some sweatbands - is there a different leather conditioner recommended before stretching?

Thanks for your help...I'd post pictures, but I guess I need more posts first.

pretzel said:
... I'm thinking of ordering a horsehair band from Ecuadormall.com - has anybody experience ordering from them, and, if so, was it a positve or negative experience?

Also, it needs a little stretching...I've read that Lexol might cause problems with some sweatbands - is there a different leather conditioner recommended before stretching?...
Welcome. I have a couple of these hatbands but didn't pay this much for them, as I recall = http://www.noggintops.com/page.cfm?p=108
But for $8, I'd try one of those & just might.
BTW, I use Lexol wipes on my saddles & motorcycle seats & I regularly wipe every sweatband, vintage & new, that I own with it. I don't have any seriously damaged vintage ones though.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
gtdean48 said:
BTW, I use Lexol wipes on my saddles & motorcycle seats & I regularly wipe every sweatband, vintage & new, that I own with it. I don't have any seriously damaged vintage ones though.

I have not had any problems myself with felts. However, with a delicate Montecristi I am always very cautious; maybe too cautious....If lexol gets on the straw I would be very disappointed.:(

The wipes are a great idea. They control how much is being used......Thanks for the tip gtdean48.;)

pretzel

New in Town
billyspew said:
One of the best pugs I've seen...

I don't mind the design so much, but it has some stains, which I don't know how to remove. The pug is a silk/tafetta (?) sort of material...any suggestions?

pretzel said:
...would neatsfoot oil be a good alternative? The sweatband is in good condition, just want to keep it that way.

Thanks for the link, gtdean. If ecaudormall.com doesn't work out, I might try that.
Do NOT use Neatsfool COMPOUND = it will eat the stitching for sure. Oil will be okay but may take a while to soak in & leave a film on your noggin.
My pleasure, keep me posted.

Leather shrinks when it dries from being wet with water unless there is sufficient oil present & even then it shrinks some. Your sweat actually has some oils in it along with water & salt. Really dried out leather will react badly to an application of leather conditioner as some have shown. A lot of that has to do with the tanning on one side of the sweatband. There is a saddle soap cleaner/conditioner called Leather Nu that works really well with badly dried out leather. I've used Lexol wipes to condition vintage sweatbands that are in relatively good condition to keep them supple so a hat stretcher has maximum effect. http://www.autogeek.net/lx1019.html
I use these too when I can find them at tack stores
http://www.scruggsfarm.com/Weaver-Wipes-Leather-Conditioner-Soft-Pack.html

Kreissaege

One of the Regulars
My quarto fino from PanamaBob

It arrived some time ago and I am still not finished with re-shaping it.
Out of the box it showed the extreme wavy brim due to a LO head.
Then after the first session of steam, warm water, ironing and lots of books to press with, it has progressed to lots and lots of small waves:mad:
2972009006-1.jpg

3172009003.jpg

whats more, the adding of foam on the sides made the quite hard leather sweatband delevop some pronounced kinks which I dont know how to get rid off.
3172009004_ji.jpg

outside this, a very fine hat.
I really like this quarto fino line: young people get the chance to learn a craft and I have the chance to buy an affordable hat!

Reactions: DRB

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
It appears that there isn't enough oval in the new blocking in Montecristi. I'd be happy to pay for a reblock in USA or Europe for you. I'm going to have to tell them in Montecristi to go back to the more oval blocks and put in better break lines or I'll have to stop offering the Montecristi blocks and strictly stick with Cuenca machined blocks or USA handblocking.

Kreissaege

One of the Regulars
Hello
Thank you very much for this excellent offer.
Here in germany, the chance to find someone doing a reblock is almost nil.
The problem with mailing it, however, is that german mail charges an arm and a leg to send a bigger parcel over the pond: € 34 = $ 49.00.
Which is far too much for the value it contains, not considering your postage back. Its something I have to accept when ordering from abroad (outside the EU).
I certainly apreciate your offer, which shows how much you value a good after sale service and will order in future from you, too..
yours
Alex

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
pretzel said:
After reading this thread:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=31555&highlight=lexol

and seeing the damage in this one:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=35330&highlight=lexol+damage

I'm a little leary...would neatsfoot oil be a good alternative? The sweatband is in good condition, just want to keep it that way.

Thanks for the link, gtdean. If ecaudormall.com doesn't work out, I might try that.

Below is what I and another wrote in that thread. I use Lexol on my hats' sweatbands and unless the leather is petrified, it works safely.

HarpPlayerGene said:
Sorry that happened to you, but the sweatband is more to blame than the Lexol. It was just 'it's time'. I've read here that Lexol is supposed to only be used on the smooth side of the sweatband - and that it does actually soak in a little. The directions on my container also instruct to wipe off excess and after a brief drying time, buff it. Personally, I have used Lexol diluted with water on the rough side of sweatbands prior to stretching a hat. If the leather is in good shape, it comes through that with no ill effects. If the leather is all used up (even though it may look OK) it's gonna' fall apart one way or the other no matter what you do or don't do.

barrowjh said:
I will second what harplayergene said - a sweatband that has dry-rotted can still look good as long as you do not touch it, the effects of the dry-rot do not become evident until you do something, like wearing the hat, stretching it, turning it out to apply lexol, etc. And, there are stages to the dry-rot thing, I have a lot of hats with sweatbands that are 'partially' sick, I've only had to replace about one out of every 6, or thereabouts. I have not had any trouble with lexol affecting the stitching, but I have had dry-rotted sweatbands that will crack/crumble right along the stitching.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Kreissaege, here's a tip:

HarpPlayerGene said:
IndyCop and family came to visit the HPG household today. Indy brought along a Panama Bob hat that was distorting due to his long oval head shape so I fixed it up for him.

Befores:
DSC_0017.jpg

(Oh no, I posted a pic of IC doing what could only be described as smiling. He's going to have to kill me now!)
DSC_0018.jpg

I put in a Hat Jack to simulate the distortion and then dampened the brim. With weights (books) and hand shaping I was able to get the brim to relax. Off camera, my gal Nicki is applying some dry heat with a hair dryer on low setting to re-stiffen the brim and set the shape.
DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

Afters:
DSC_0026.jpg

(Checking it out in the mirror)
DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member