Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

WineGuy

A-List Customer
A testament to Panama Bob

Someone made my day today!

While in the process of selecting a hat from PanamaBob a few months ago, we discussed a few style options, price ranges and delivery times. In the end I went with the Montecristi Fino that Art just reblocked and banded for me and is posted a few pages back. When I closed the deal with Bob he told me I was getting an exceptionally good hat for the money and that he would compare it favorably to the Borsalino Montecristi Fino sold at JJ Hat Center in Manhattan for over $1200. I thought that was a bit of an exaggeration but as long as the hat was worth what I paid for it, so what.

Today I was in Manhattan and made a service stop at JJ Hat Center because some of the stitching of the new sweatband released and the band was pulling away from the hat. JJHC took the hat and repaired it on the spot....twenty minutes work...$10 fee...I love these folks.

When Joe, the head honcho there, brought me the hat he commented that it was an exceptionally nice Montecristi and asked me what I paid for it. I asked him what he thought I should have paid for it and he said "about twelve hundred dollars". I told him I paid a fraction of that and he was in shock, said I got the deal of the century. I was smirking all day today, and only wish my wife was there to here it because she thought I spent too much to begin with. Thanks PB, you are the man!

VSPBside.jpg

Reactions: DRB

RBH

Bartender
WineGuy said:
Someone made my day today!

While in the process of selecting a hat from PanamaBob a few months ago, we discussed a few style options, price ranges and delivery times. In the end I went with the Montecristi Fino that Art just reblocked and banded for me and is posted a few pages back. When I closed the deal with Bob he told me I was getting an exceptionally good hat for the money and that he would compare it favorably to the Borsalino Montecristi Fino sold at JJ Hat Center in Manhattan for over $1200. I thought that was a bit of an exaggeration but as long as the hat was worth what I paid for it, so what.

Today I was in Manhattan and made a service stop at JJ Hat Center because some of the stitching of the new sweatband released and the band was pulling away from the hat. JJHC took the hat and repaired it on the spot....twenty minutes work...$10 fee...I love these folks.

When Joe, the head honcho there, brought me the hat he commented that it was an exceptionally nice Montecristi and asked me what I paid for it. I asked him what he thought I should have paid for it and he said "about twelve hundred dollars". I told him I paid a fraction of that and he was in shock, said I got the deal of the century. I was smirking all day today, and only wish my wife was there to here it because she thought I spent too much to begin with. Thanks PB, you are the man!

VSPBside.jpg

Just shows to go what a guy Robert is...
''NUFF SAID!!!

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Great hat WineGuy, that ribbon is just phenomenal!
I'd like to share with you guys a couple of images of my Montecristi. I took it to my local hatter for a reblock and I picked it up today. I've mentioned before that this hat belonged to my father. He got it, according to my grandma, around 1986. The hat's in great shape. I remember it being whiter before, now it has a beautiful patina. The weave is just mind blowing. I don't want to sound pretentious here, but I haven't seen one with the texture of mine (maybe Gene's hat on the thread panama hat worth of FDR) It is very hard to focus with the camara so forgive the bad pictures. As with Gene's hat, mine has several pencil signatures. A couple under the crown and others under the sweatband including a set of numbers and a signature writtenn with ink

DSC04104.jpg

DSC04109.jpg

DSC04110.jpg

DSC04111.jpg

DSC04112.jpg

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Thanks WineGuy. It is actually the only thing I have from my dad. He gave it to me when I left Ecuador, in the airport in Quito. This 9th will be three years of his passing. Thanks for the hat dad!:eusa_clap

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Aureliano said:
It is actually the only thing I have from my dad. He gave it to me when I left Ecuador, in the airport in Quito. This 9th will be three years of his passing. Thanks for the hat dad!

And what a wonderful bequest, with a wonderful story attached to boot.
REQUIEM AETERNAM DONA EIS DOMINE QUIA PIUS ES

I shall remember your father in my prayers on his anniversary.

"Skeet"

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
[QUOTE="Skeet" McD]And what a wonderful bequest, with a wonderful story attached to boot.
REQUIEM AETERNAM DONA EIS DOMINE QUIA PIUS ES

I shall remember your father in my prayers on his anniversary.

"Skeet"[/QUOTE]

Requiescat in pace, papá. Thank you for your warm words.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Beautiful, beautiful Panama, Aureliano. And being that it came down to you from your father makes it a much more special treasure, in my opinion, than any of the hats I have bought, no matter the quality.

Kreissaege

One of the Regulars
HarpPlayerGene said:
Kreissaege, here's a tip:

Thank you for this, itI had exactly this posting in mind when I gave my head the first work-over!
It will take several more to reach a satisfactory result, but its worth it because this hat is so good looking and so lightweight, I really like wearing it.
My next one from PanamaBob will certainly have an US-Blocking. He is a quite exceptionally concerned about his customers, as shows his answer to my first post. Too bad that hatmakers here in germany are as rare as hen´s teeth, so a professionell re-block cant be done here and sending it back over the pond is too expensive, too. But at least, I can do what I like most: tinker with stuff:)

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
Beautiful, beautiful Panama, Aureliano. And being that it came down to you from your father makes it a much more special treasure, in my opinion, than any of the hats I have bought, no matter the quality.
Thanks Gene. Do you know what those numbers written in pen might mean?
There are at least 2 more signatures in the hat but are so faded you can't see them. Did weavers back then signed at every step in the process. I mean, we know a few people participate in the making of a single hat...

Kreissaege

One of the Regulars
Kreissaege said:
It arrived some time ago and I am still not finished with re-shaping it.
Out of the box it showed the extreme wavy brim due to a LO head.
Then after the first session of steam, warm water, ironing and lots of books to press with, it has progressed to lots and lots of small waves:mad:
2972009006-1.jpg

3172009003.jpg

whats more, the adding of foam on the sides made the quite hard leather sweatband delevop some pronounced kinks which I dont know how to get rid off.
3172009004_ji.jpg

outside this, a very fine hat.
I really like this quarto fino line: young people get the chance to learn a craft and I have the chance to buy an affordable hat!

Its getting better after each session with the iron. Today the hatstretcher arrived and with it I am of good hope to get the hat as it should be in the near future :
1082009009.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Aureliano said:
Thanks Gene. Do you know what those numbers written in pen might mean?
There are at least 2 more signatures in the hat but are so faded you can't see them. Did weavers back then signed at every step in the process. I mean, we know a few people participate in the making of a single hat...

Brent Black told me that they are more, "marks of ownership than authorship". The weavers and finishers were (and are) mostly illiterate. Those who commission the hats and then shepherd them from one step to the next (often involving travel to different places) would mark the hats at each step, presumably to make sure they got the same hat back and to have record of who was involved for future reference. Sometimes they are initials, sometimes numbers or fractions, and sometimes little cartouches. I suppose people have always been seeking that perfect combination of color/weave/backweaving/ironing, etc. so this would help them determine their 'dream team' of the time and how to price the product accordingly.

Kreissaege

One of the Regulars
Hello PanamaBob

On the subject of my Montecristi Quarto Fino, where you generously offered to pay for a re-block, I have achieved the right shape of the brim, with repeated ironing and a hat stretcher and heavy books and the kind help of some of the members here :)
1282009.jpg

Now it only needs to shrink that 0.5cm for a perfect fit!

univibe88

One Too Many
I am so jealous when folks get these inexpensive, unblocked Monticristis from the bay for such short money. I need to start watching!

rlk

I'll Lock Up
univibe88 said:
I am so jealous when folks get these inexpensive, unblocked Monticristis from the bay for such short money. I need to start watching!
With pictures so poor(http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...363254&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_1182) its definitely a crap shoot and you can easily throw money away. This was no big risk at such a low price and worked out well. I dropped it off this afternoon at Optimo. Its no Arcentales but merited a "nice" and has no cracks or holes and is nicely sized for my head circumference and a reasonable brim dimension. Will soon be an Optimo with 12 ligne mocha brown band.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred